[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Any chance on getting a folding piston part? I don't know what the thing is called, but there's a hydraulic lifter thingy you see at construction sites that has cross-hatch support beams that life the thing up much higher than twice the original height.

Find an image/video and I will see if it's possible.

Any chance on getting a folding piston part? I don't know what the thing is called, but there's a hydraulic lifter thingy you see at construction sites that has cross-hatch support beams that life the thing up much higher than twice the original height.

This is called a scissor lift. You can make one with pistons and loose hinge from TT's Multiwheels, or Sirkut's free spinning docking washer.

Scissor lift! That's it exactly! I ask because it would be easier to pack in rovers or other small EVA vehicles and extend them out. The current pistons were too long for me, even fully-retracted.

Took me just a few seconds to whip this idea up.

Of course you could get away with just doing 1/2 of a scissor lift as the second pair doesn't connect to the plate with the command seat.

Took me just a few seconds to whip this idea up.

Of course you could get away with just doing 1/2 of a scissor lift as the second pair doesn't connect to the plate with the command seat.

That's Cheating!! :sticktongue:

I'm going to have to think about this idea. It may be possible but may require the use of multiple parts in order for this to work.

Perhaps a simpler thought would be to make a set of pistons that fit below the surface they are place upon (similar to how the ladders work), and extend out from it.

This would allow a piston to take up less space, but also for them to be stacked to travel further, much like how a mobile crane's arm can fold down for transport and extend to 5 times its normal length (or more) when required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_crane.

To avoid having the pistons look odd when stacked, different sizes could be made with the same reach, allowing them to fit inside each other without looking horrible. Heres a concept I quickly mocked up:

_c03e61037ed44ce486a65590f9e33254_d5238856f2a0408fa4a8557168f12bb4

These pistons all have the same reach, but a reducing radii to match the inner size of the previous one.

To me this seems a lot simpler (as it's just a variation of current parts), than designing a scissor lift mechanism that may or may not require animations in order to look right.

Something to think about maybe?

Also may I add an easy addition? A "closed" (as in, hinge rotated 90°) version of the tall hinges. As some parts seem to only connect in a stack, the folded tall hinge would allow to make compact setups without having to fold them pre launch

Perhaps a simpler thought would be to make a set of pistons that fit below the surface they are place upon (similar to how the ladders work), and extend out from it.

This would allow a piston to take up less space, but also for them to be stacked to travel further, much like how a mobile crane's arm can fold down for transport and extend to 5 times its normal length (or more) when required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_crane.

To avoid having the pistons look odd when stacked, different sizes could be made with the same reach, allowing them to fit inside each other without looking horrible. Heres a concept I quickly mocked up:

These pistons all have the same reach, but a reducing radii to match the inner size of the previous one.

To me this seems a lot simpler (as it's just a variation of current parts), than designing a scissor lift mechanism that may or may not require animations in order to look right.

This is brilliant!!

Hi, it seems topical, I have just posted an elevator that uses this dll (license and credit given and that of course) - it's not a scissor lift but it'll get your kerbs up and down pretty good and packs away real tidy - I may have missed the point... The vid above is a personnel lift right?

Vieo above was just a proof of concept.

I'm still having the same issue that I was having with Damned Robotics--moveable surfaces attached to anything that moves, don't themselves move. (YES, I'm still trying to refine my flying, driving, floating hydrofoil.)

Easy example: Stick a winglet on the end of a piston or on a power hinge. Controls say they're moving, but the surface itself won't and it kind of screws up anything with gimballed thrust as well, such as the B9 F117 engines. This seems independent of version of mod (happened with DR and the modded DLLs for .20/.21 as well) or whether or not FAR is installed.

Am I missing something obvious?

I can make a compressed piston no problem! I can't do multiples because the plugin only allows one mesh to be fixed and the other to move. It can't handle more than one at the moment.

Ill make a fully compressed version. Any size requests?

Edited by sirkut

I can make a compresses piston no problem! I can't do multiples because the plugin only allows one mesh to be fixed and the other to move. It can't handle more than one at the moment.

Why would this be any different than stacking multiple pistons? You'd just had to allow part clipping on the pistons.

DzM31Yo.jpg

I can make a compresses piston no problem! I can't do multiples because the plugin only allows one mesh to be fixed and the other to move. It can't handle more than one at the moment.

Great! I thought that was the case (only 2 meshes allowed). I tried to show this in the images, whereby the yellow models would be your fixed meshes, and the grey being the movable one. Since the compresses pistons fit inside other parts, the example I showed would be made of 4 seperate parts stacked on top of each other.

It depends how extended you wanted to go. The minimum I'd say is the three usual sizes, but to get any extended reach you'd need to also make a set of smaller radii versions with the same reach (so not just a uniform scale). In my example, that piston would be four different parts of the large size, all with a reach of 4 units.

Maybe make the largest one fit well with the rotating bearing idea I previously suggested :P

Edit:

Why would this be any different than stacking multiple pistons? You'd just had to allow part clipping on the pistons.

DzM31Yo.jpg

Exactly my thinking :)

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Responding to Gristle

The stacked / clipped pistons actually worked correctly in the game for some reason when I used progressively smaller parts. Didn't work exactly right when I tried stacking pistons of the same size.

Hi, it seems topical, I have just posted an elevator that uses this dll (license and credit given and that of course) - it's not a scissor lift but it'll get your kerbs up and down pretty good and packs away real tidy - I may have missed the point... The vid above is a personnel lift right?

I'm not sure why his thread only has one response but his elevator is awesome! For those interested I used a speed of 200.

Ae you trying to launch kerbals without a rocket again....

It was begging for it. Only downside is the cage is packed up. If it wasn't I would have set that sucker at a 45 degree angle, put side cage on it and just see how far I could throw a kerbal. What great fun.