[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

this is just an out there idea, but could the joint be thinking there is the mass of a pod on both sides of the hinge? so as it extends it see a phantom mass on the hinge shifting the CG and making it want to roll over on it's side, but having no collision box there it just rotates about its new COM? i know it is a long shot, but thought I would throw it out there.

Just a little update. We are hopefully getting close. We (credit goes to the person helping actually! dude has been a life saver as my free time is short) have the parts moving in the right direction but there's a mysterious force playing havoc with the joints causing them to go haywire. Fun to watch, sucks to use.

Glad to hear some progress is being made, this is one of my favourite KSP mods, it's pretty much essential to my current series.

KSP is just not the same without this mod. What good is traveling to other planets if you have no mechanics or robotic assistance. To put it plain and simple KSP without this mod is like a repairman without any tools, or a taxi driver without any change. "simply worth-less".

KSP is just not the same without this mod. What good is traveling to other planets if you have no mechanics or robotic assistance. To put it plain and simple KSP without this mod is like a repairman without any tools, or a taxi driver without any change. "simply worth-less".

completly agree on this.

KSP is a great game, but it lacks so much. Wish Squad would focus on things like this instead of MP..

Hopefully this great mod will be working again soon.

completly agree on this.

KSP is a great game, but it lacks so much. Wish Squad would focus on things like this instead of MP..

Hopefully this great mod will be working again soon.

Related to something that infernal robotics makes really amazing, if any of you are familiar with Raster Prop Mod for functional displays on IVA, you can combine it with Probe Control Room (sorry no links I'm bad at formatting) to make an advanced probe control room, then hook up external cameras to IR-controlled robotics motors so you have working masts like those on the Mars rovers. It's super cool, but now my poor rovers are broken...

Sirkut,

its good to see your keeping this mod going. Hope the RL is going ok. I agree with everyone, this mod is essential to some good KSP creativity and function. i consider Squad a decent bunch of DEVS. Compared to most the other games out there. But i dont understand why they dont focus more on the things that people are using. Like this mod, NASA cant do anything without robotic assistance in some way. They should adapt this into the game and pay you and the original creator for your time. I know i will get scalded for this,(yes i know who it is) but you have taken this mod way beyond the original creator. Your setup is better than damned Robotics, without question. And you listen to what people want, that is something that should be respected.

Anyway good job, and thanks. Looking forward to using this mod again.

That video of the hinge also reminds me a lot of behavior of "strutted" joints. Had quite a few problems with those when I used Quantum Struts several months ago.

Question: Does the force balance out when symmetry is applied to the hinge? Basically, if you put two hinges in 2x symmetry on the top of the can, do you still get weird forces, or are the forces canceled. Not sure what this kind of thing reveals, but the experiment might be helpful in tracking down exactly what is going on.

Forgive me for a silly suggestion, but why not ask Squad for help/pointers? They're the ones who changed the attachment rules (apparently, along with help from ferram) and everything - if anyone knows what changes were made and how they'd affect IR, it'd be the devs themselves.. Why not seek help from them? Just a little thought that's been going round my mind for a few days.

EDIT: By Squad, I mean the makers and devs of KSP i.e. Harvester et al.

You guys need to see how hard it is to update something like this; some of you are like "update this now!" but in reality, he has to pretty much re-write the whole plugin code because some code changes in 23.5 affected the way Infernal Robotics runs. Not all updates change the code this much, if you're wondering why sometimes mods update fast.

You guys need to see how hard it is to update something like this; some of you are like "update this now!" but in reality, he has to pretty much re-write the whole plugin code because some code changes in 23.5 affected the way Infernal Robotics runs. Not all updates change the code this much, if you're wondering why sometimes mods update fast.

Doesn't make the absence of it any less sad. :(

I'll just sit and hope. Unless a donate button materializes. In which case I'd pitch in some money. It's worth it. This mod is practically like it's own expansion pack for KSP, right up there with the level of game-changing awesome as Interstellar, B9, or FAR.

Hell, I even subscribed to this thread. And I never do that, on any forum. Though I guess I can't say that anymore.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Hey, sirkut. This is good plugin so can't just walk through.

I've forked forgoten repo (https://github.com/sirkut/InfernalRobotics), update to 0.12 and made some changes as BGog42 says to https://github.com/omgnull/InfernalRobotics. Most of things returns to live, some probem still exists - could not get valid pivot vector for IR_HingeTall while stack on side. Also some parts cfg need to be tuned for "translateAxis" and "rotateAxis". Source and compiled version included, PR can be done if needed. Glad if I can help.

Edited by omgnull

Doesn't make the absence of it any less sad. :(

I'll just sit and hope. Unless a donate button materializes. In which case I'd pitch in some money. It's worth it. This mod is practically like it's own expansion pack for KSP, right up there with the level of game-changing awesome as Interstellar, B9, or FAR.

Hell, I even subscribed to this thread. And I never do that, on any forum. Though I guess I can't say that anymore.

If I see a donate button I too would contribute. This is one of those mods that changes the fundamentals of gameplay, along with TAC, Kethane, KER and FAR.

Hey, sirkut. This is good plugin so can just walk through.

I've forked forgoten repo (https://github.com/sirkut/InfernalRobotics), update to 0.12 and made some changes as BGog42 says to https://github.com/omgnull/InfernalRobotics. Most of things returns to live, some probem still exists - could not get valid pivot vector for IR_HingeTall while stack on side. Also some parts cfg need to be tuned for "translateAxis" and "rotateAxis". Source and compiled version included, PR can be done if needed. Glad if I can help.

Hey. I'll take a look as soon as I get a moment to the computer.

I may place a paypal donate button later tonight.

So I downloaded omgnull's fix pack. It works, the only issue I had was the axis were incorrect on the all the parts I tried. Examples, the 90deg hinge rotated around like a rotatron instead of flexing like an elbow joint. The pistons moved side to side instead of in/out, and the rototron flexed like a hinge instead of rotating. However, otherwise they worked "correctly" that is to say the GUI worked to change speeds, and the parts moved as they "should" for the actions they were doing.

I even used it with nothke's dromonman (sp?) pack and same thing, they work, but they move in the incorrect axis.

I hope this helps out

So I downloaded omgnull's fix pack. It works, the only issue I had was the axis were incorrect on the all the parts I tried. Examples, the 90deg hinge rotated around like a rotatron instead of flexing like an elbow joint. The pistons moved side to side instead of in/out, and the rototron flexed like a hinge instead of rotating. However, otherwise they worked "correctly" that is to say the GUI worked to change speeds, and the parts moved as they "should" for the actions they were doing.

I even used it with nothke's dromonman (sp?) pack and same thing, they work, but they move in the incorrect axis.

I hope this helps out

Actually that does help. I'll be looking at this later today when I'm free. I check the forums periodically (on my phone) but hopefully this will work. If it does I owe ogmnull a beer.

everything's broken right now so no prolly not. but once it's fixed there is a set of free-floating rotatrons that you should be able to use. i'm assuming you want to do something like an articulated body. you could set the rotatrons up to serve in a fashion similar to the 5th wheel of a tractor-trailer.

Actually that does help. I'll be looking at this later today when I'm free. I check the forums periodically (on my phone) but hopefully this will work. If it does I owe ogmnull a beer.

of course I should have added that these tests were quick and only on the launch pad

My 90 degree hinge misplaced and rotated in wrong direction. I've tried to change rotationAxis parameter and was able to make it rotate right, but i do not know hot fix misplacement.

gyTUG2jl.png

Here's my GameData. I suspect the misplacement bug caused by Joints Reinforced.

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData>dir
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 40B9-4D51

Directory of D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

04/13/2014 11:18 PM <DIR> .
04/13/2014 11:18 PM <DIR> ..
04/02/2014 11:31 PM <DIR> 000_Toolbar
12/29/2013 07:43 PM <DIR> ActionGroupManager
04/10/2014 02:52 AM <DIR> ActiveTextureManagement
04/02/2014 06:23 AM <DIR> AdvancedAnimator
04/02/2014 03:50 AM <DIR> AutoSave
01/09/2014 08:08 AM 3,523 B9CtrlSurfaceFix.cfg
04/03/2014 07:55 AM 115 B9LandingGearFix.cfg
04/03/2014 08:35 AM 497 B9LandingLegsFix.cfg
10/20/2013 10:48 PM <DIR> B9_Aerospace
01/03/2014 04:26 AM <DIR> BeastlyScience
02/27/2014 10:48 PM <DIR> BoJaN
04/02/2014 09:20 AM <DIR> BoulderCo
04/05/2014 07:47 PM <DIR> CustomBiomes
03/30/2014 08:39 AM <DIR> Diazo
03/04/2014 02:50 AM <DIR> DistantObject
03/29/2014 03:39 AM <DIR> DMagic Orbital Science
04/02/2014 04:23 PM <DIR> EditorExtensions
04/05/2014 12:40 AM <DIR> Engineer
04/05/2014 12:26 AM <DIR> EnhancedNavBall
04/02/2014 12:10 PM <DIR> EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
04/03/2014 08:07 AM <DIR> ExsurgentEngineering
04/11/2014 11:18 PM <DIR> FerramAerospaceResearch
04/03/2014 08:13 AM <DIR> Firespitter
03/26/2014 04:12 PM <DIR> Goodspeed
04/13/2014 11:18 PM <DIR> InfernalRobotics
04/05/2014 08:02 PM <DIR> Keramzit
10/28/2013 02:44 AM <DIR> KerbalJointReinforcement
10/10/2013 10:03 PM <DIR> KineTechAnimation
04/02/2014 02:03 AM <DIR> KSPX
04/06/2014 08:56 PM <DIR> MechJeb2
12/29/2013 11:45 PM 16,384 ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll
04/04/2014 02:10 AM <DIR> NASAmission
12/09/2013 01:46 AM <DIR> NothkeSerCom
04/06/2014 05:04 PM <DIR> NovaPunch2
04/05/2014 05:50 PM <DIR> OpenResourceSystem
10/18/2013 02:27 AM <DIR> PartHighlighter
04/05/2014 09:44 PM <DIR> RCSBuildAid
04/10/2014 01:29 AM <DIR> RemoteTech2
10/10/2013 10:03 PM <DIR> ResGen
04/13/2014 01:53 AM <DIR> Romfarer
04/07/2014 12:52 AM <DIR> SCANsat
10/17/2013 06:16 PM <DIR> SelectRoot
04/04/2014 02:10 AM <DIR> Squad
04/08/2014 01:46 AM <DIR> Stock Rebalance
04/05/2014 01:18 AM <DIR> ThunderAerospace
04/14/2014 12:57 AM 2,350 toolbar-settings.dat
04/05/2014 05:50 PM <DIR> TreeLoader
04/04/2014 02:16 PM <DIR> TriggerTech
04/10/2014 03:13 AM <DIR> TweakableEverything
01/09/2014 08:08 AM 839 update-aero-parts.rb

I hope this helps out

As i say before to make correct axis work you need to tune in the corresponding cfg file part section value with name "translateAxis" or "rotateAxis".

As i say before to make correct axis work you need to tune in the corresponding cfg file part section value with name "translateAxis" or "rotateAxis".

Nice work, ogm.

My 90 degree hinge misplaced and rotated in wrong direction. I've tried to change rotationAxis parameter and was able to make it rotate right, but i do not know hot fix misplacement.

For example, the VTOL rotatron is supposed to rotate, not flex. In the config, it says rotateAxis = 0, -1, 0 but to work properly, it would be rotateAxis = -1, 0, 0

Surely it would be better to remap the current cfg axes onto whatever the joints now use? IMO the values in the cfg should be consistent with the axes in the unity scenes of the parts, i.e if I model a part to have a z axis rotation as viewed in unity I should set a value of 0 0 1 in the cfg (assuming x y z):

Surely it would be better to remap the current cfg axes onto whatever the joints now use? IMO the values in the cfg should be consistent with the axes in the unity scenes of the parts, i.e if I model a part to have a z axis rotation as viewed in unity I should set a value of 0 0 1 in the cfg (assuming x y z):

Normally, I would agree, but this was a quick test on one part, and was the first edit (assuming x, y, z) made. Does it make sense? Probably not, but it works.