[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

This may or may not have been asked before, but this mod can make what I want happen, I hope. is there a way to preset rotation points on the parts. as an example, I am building a bomber of sorts and it would be nice to have rotating piece that rotates an i-beam with 4 BD Armory rails attached. What I want to do is select which set of munitions I want to use and it rotates to the preset position so the munitions are deployable from the bomb bay.

So you want the robotic part to move to preset positions? It is in the works, we just need to come up with proper UI for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a fix to the problem where after assigning and arranging the robotic parts in the editor it just randomly switches them back again and you'd have to rearrange every single time.Its really p*ssing me off since this is a problem I had to deal with for so long.

You mean when you detach a part it resets to original position or something else?

You mean when you detach a part it resets to original position or something else?

No as in the servo configuration ui.Everytime in the editor I properly arrange all the servos to their respective groups but after detaching a part or launching the craft it would make it all random again.

No as in the servo configuration ui.Everytime in the editor I properly arrange all the servos to their respective groups but after detaching a part or launching the craft it would make it all random again.

Detaching indeed resets 1 part, but launching works for me in current (non-rework) version.

This may or may not have been asked before, but this mod can make what I want happen, I hope. is there a way to preset rotation points on the parts. as an example, I am building a bomber of sorts and it would be nice to have rotating piece that rotates an i-beam with 4 BD Armory rails attached. What I want to do is select which set of munitions I want to use and it rotates to the preset position so the munitions are deployable from the bomb bay.
So you want the robotic part to move to preset positions? It is in the works, we just need to come up with proper UI for it.

Yeah, stepper motors / servos would be very neat - I'd like to use it for the rotating equipment rack in my FusTek Station Parts Warehouse module.

So Idk if I'm in the right place to ask, but I've been having issues with IR hinges and rotatrons in orbit. I'm trying to build a mobile station in orbit, but any time I dock and try to orient the hinges and rotatrons properly, the lag for a bit, and then snap into action. Usually results in parts disconnecting and whatnot. Anyone else have issues like this?

Hi, got kinda a random question/request here.

Is there (or is it possible to make) a small "button" part that can be attached to a ship, and designated to a certain servo control? For example, if I'm on my big interplanetary ship and want to use an elevator, I have to look thru all my servo controls to find the right one. If, however, I attach a button object on the elevator, I can right click and activate it that way.

Is this possible? :D

My apologize but tweakscale bugs the hell out of my crafts, not to mention the numerous mods crashing the game because of it.

Is there a non-tweakscale version of these parts?

Hi, got kinda a random question/request here.

Is there (or is it possible to make) a small "button" part that can be attached to a ship, and designated to a certain servo control? For example, if I'm on my big interplanetary ship and want to use an elevator, I have to look thru all my servo controls to find the right one. If, however, I attach a button object on the elevator, I can right click and activate it that way.

Is this possible? :D

It is an interesting idea. No promises, but I'll try to find out if it possible.

- - - Updated - - -

My apologize but tweakscale bugs the hell out of my crafts, not to mention the numerous mods crashing the game because of it.

Is there a non-tweakscale version of these parts?

1) have you tried latest version of tweak scale (1.52.1)?

2) you can use this mod without tweakscale, but you'll be limited to only one part size

- - - Updated - - -

So Idk if I'm in the right place to ask, but I've been having issues with IR hinges and rotatrons in orbit. I'm trying to build a mobile station in orbit, but any time I dock and try to orient the hinges and rotatrons properly, the lag for a bit, and then snap into action. Usually results in parts disconnecting and whatnot. Anyone else have issues like this?

this should be fixed in the upcoming version.

Is there a fix for when a part is rotated/moved in the VAB and put back to the default position? It's always like 1-2 degrees off even though it says it's back at 0. Or a way around it that doesn't involve rebuilding it by writing down all the part rules?

Is there a fix for when a part is rotated/moved in the VAB and put back to the default position? It's always like 1-2 degrees off even though it says it's back at 0. Or a way around it that doesn't involve rebuilding it by writing down all the part rules?

We are currently looking into this bug, but no fix yet. It seems like weird rounding issue with Unity transform.

If we fail to fix it completely we will create a "reset part" button somewhere

I've tried googling and I've tried the forum search but I can't seem to find an answer to this one: Is it possible to bind IR parts to axis controls? For example, have a rotator part respond to rudder or throttle input? I'd like to build a mech :D

I've tried googling and I've tried the forum search but I can't seem to find an answer to this one: Is it possible to bind IR parts to axis controls? For example, have a rotator part respond to rudder or throttle input? I'd like to build a mech :D

you can assign keys to servo groups, but I'm not sure you can assign them to KSP default control keys. You can try this even in current version.

Cheers, I'm thinking more about actual axis controls though. For example, using a joystick X axis or rudder pedals to twist a rotational control left and right. I realize it would probably have to turn it into a relative control instead of an absolute position (ie, moving the stick further probably wouldn't cause it to turn faster, because that would require variable speed robotics). If all else fails I can always use various hat controls on the stick. Would be interesting to get legs to go via throttle control... but I admit I have no idea how that would work for anything other than rotation joint based legs.

ie, moving the stick further probably wouldn't cause it to turn faster, because that would require variable speed robotics).

Actually we are just building variable speed robotics :-)

In my opinion, binding of position or speed to joystick axes or throttle is not that far away. Maybe not in the core IR, but we plan to make an API that allows others to write their own control solutions that send movement commands to IR servos. Now I think of it, analog input would be quite useful for that.

All my craft with IR parts eventually encounter this weird bug where all the bits connected via IR parts lose their correct attachment point and get grafted onto the vehicle's center mass instead, making a huge mess. Does this happen to any one else, and if so is there a workaround?

Actually we are just building variable speed robotics :-)

In my opinion, binding of position or speed to joystick axes or throttle is not that far away. Maybe not in the core IR, but we plan to make an API that allows others to write their own control solutions that send movement commands to IR servos. Now I think of it, analog input would be quite useful for that.

Very nice :D

One of the best Kerbal Mecha is Jebsy Danger.

I don't suppose there's an FAQ somewhere? I have a ton of questions that must have been asked before in these 500+ pages. Eg:

* Is there a way to make the IR parts less floppy?

* Is there a way to have parts automatically reverse direction when they reach the end of their movement (eg, to have a piston go up and down or a gantry go back and forth) (Autohotkey/KOS can do this but seem like overkill if all you want is simple repetition)

* What are the rules for strutting when it comes to IR parts? Can you strut to the surface of a rotator part? (Sometimes this seems to be OK, other times it seems to prevent rotation)

* What is the base sliding/rotation rate of the various parts? (So that you can get things to synch up).

* Are the speeds of sliding parts affected by scale? Eg, does a speed of 5 mean a certain number meters per second (so distance traveled per second is independent of scale), or a certain percentage of extension change per second (so that distance traveled per second depends on scale)?

* Can all joint parts be "free moving?" (So pushing on a hinged rod, say, would cause the hinge to move to the pushed position, or like using a piston as a shock absorber). If so, can the friction on this movement be modified?

I'm sure there's a few more that have come up a lot as well! :D

Also, found a bug with the gantry. If I use the position editor to move the plate to one limit in the VAB, then set an action group to move it in that direction, then the moving part will extend beyond the gantry (to double the gantry length, ie, just floating in space) when I use the action group.

Edited by allmhuran

You can get around that with action groups C4pt.Miles (if I understand what you're after), Action Groups Extended has up to 250 of them and each servo can go in any number of groups. You also get the "move center" action that's missing from the IR panel, it's press once to start and again to stop though which isn't quite as pleasing as hold down to move.

Thanks, never thought of that.

I don't suppose there's an FAQ somewhere? I have a ton of questions that must have been asked before in these 500+ pages. Eg:

* Is there a way to make the IR parts less floppy?

* Is there a way to have parts automatically reverse direction when they reach the end of their movement (eg, to have a piston go up and down or a gantry go back and forth) (Autohotkey/KOS can do this but seem like overkill if all you want is simple repetition)

* What are the rules for strutting when it comes to IR parts? Can you strut to the surface of a rotator part? (Sometimes this seems to be OK, other times it seems to prevent rotation)

* What is the base sliding/rotation rate of the various parts? (So that you can get things to synch up).

* Are the speeds of sliding parts affected by scale? Eg, does a speed of 5 mean a certain number meters per second (so distance traveled per second is independent of scale), or a certain percentage of extension change per second (so that distance traveled per second depends on scale)?

* Can all joint parts be "free moving?" (So pushing on a hinged rod, say, would cause the hinge to move to the pushed position, or like using a piston as a shock absorber). If so, can the friction on this movement be modified?

I'm sure there's a few more that have come up a lot as well! :D

Also, found a bug with the gantry. If I use the position editor to move the plate to one limit in the VAB, then set an action group to move it in that direction, then the moving part will extend beyond the gantry (to double the gantry length, ie, just floating in space) when I use the action group.

I'll try to address most of your questions:

1) Legacy parts are sometimes a bit floppy, it may have something to do with smaller-than-intended nodes on them. Try using KJR. New parts (from Zodius Model Rework) are less prone to this, but you cannot defy laws of physics with them too, like using a small hinge to lift/rotate a 30t craft.

2) No, and it is not planned. But KOS is really easy, or just wait until we release an API for IR and somebody creates a smart-trigger.

3) I've had issues with that too, but with KJR installed it is rarely needed

4) This information is somewhere in part.cfg. But if you start using Zodius Rework parts you may notice that they are all synced (he put a lot of effort into it).

5) Please wait for new release (we'll post a pre-release version soon-ish in Addon Development). The whole concept of speed was redesigned.

6) No, parts have to be designed to be free-moving. If you need more free-moving parts - head to Model Rework thread here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-%28Updated-27-08-2014%29

Edited by Ziw

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will certainly check out the rework parts, and KJR does seem to make a decent bit of difference (I was just using this when I thought to come back to this thread to mention that it does help somewhat with the "bouncing" when moving parts stop moving).

Looking forward to what's coming next!

PS: All these questions came from an attempt to build robot legs driven by both rotators and pistons simultaneously (part hierarchy built on the rotatrons, piston is strutted in the VAB and also docks to the rest of the leg on launch - with a part between the piston and the port) to increase rigidity and load capacity, and reduce post-movement-wobbles. I've actually found that the slight inbuilt flexiness of certain stock structural parts helps a lot here... it means the synching doesn't have to be perfect (which is good, because it's really really hard to get the timing right given the obtuse geometry). First proof of concept attempt below. Still a bit of shaking at each end of movement but that's probably because a) the timings aren't right and B) There really should be a third rotator at the lower end of the piston.

https://gfycat.com/IncompleteFlusteredKomododragon