[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I think I found a bug with this mod. When I went into time accelerate and came out again, the physics wouldn't load-the red light on the staging menu stayed red and I couldn't interact with my ship. This happened multiple times. I also had B9, KW rocketry, MechJeb 2, Kethane 0.74 and KSPX installed, but I know it wasn't a bug from any of them as I played on the save with these mods for some time before installing Magic Smoke and had no instance of any such bug. Help/confirmation would be nice, as my save is now unusable due to this bug (Uninstalling didn't help, but that is true for many bugs.) and I had to start over without the mod.

Semi-random observation:

Yes, you can move bits of Procedural Fairings with Infernal Robotics. Observed caveats:

• The node orientation on the fairing pieces is vertical rather than horizontal as you would expect (i.e. a cubic strut will only attach to a side fairing piece when it's longer side is parallel the vertical axis of the fairing piece) and they don't side attach. I.e. you need actuators that have nodes on them and they must be in the proper orientation to stick, or you need an intermediary strut.
  • If you forget to disable the invisible struts attaching the fairing bits to what's inside, very bizarre things may result. I basically attempted to make a flying saucer shape that would come apart at the seams, and the thing started spinning and attempted to fly away on phantom forces. It actually succeeded and only exploded a few minutes later.

I think I found a bug with this mod. When I went into time accelerate and came out again, the physics wouldn't load-the red light on the staging menu stayed red and I couldn't interact with my ship. This happened multiple times. I also had B9, KW rocketry, MechJeb 2, Kethane 0.74 and KSPX installed, but I know it wasn't a bug from any of them as I played on the save with these mods for some time before installing Magic Smoke and had no instance of any such bug. Help/confirmation would be nice, as my save is now unusable due to this bug (Uninstalling didn't help, but that is true for many bugs.) and I had to start over without the mod.

Log file and craft file or I can't help you.

jacoj.jpg

It's the best I can do. Having mods installed and just assuming it's Infernal Robotics isn't going to help. The only time something stops working for me and it's Infernal Robotics is I time accelerated and ran out of electricity rendering the craft inoperable.

And let me rephrase my request. Let me have your persistent.sfs file.

How long did you use 0.21.1 before you experienced this issue? I cannot replicate your issue either. Alot of things worked well before 0.21.1, possibly what you are seeing is something similar to my issue where B9 aerospace pack refuses to load at all for me now, and thats without IR installed, with it installed it makes no difference.

Actually this may be a tough one to crack. KW Rocketry hasn't been updated to 0.21 which I highly doubt is an issue. Kethane is now at version 0.7.7. Mechjeb 2, is that v2.0.9?

Let me take a look at the log file first and them possible zip up your entire gamedata + persistant.sfs as a last resort. Otherwise this isn't going to be tough for me to figure out.

And let me rephrase my request. Let me have your persistent.sfs file.
or GTFO

....fixed it for ya.

It''s like the peep with the exploding crafts video. Blames the docking washer, but the logs never mention that part as colliding and exploding. It my very well be the DW, but I couldn't see any evidence of it in the video.

Edited by Gristle

Speaking of bugs... Those IR Rotors seem able to keep spinning even after the collider has come free. This of course being discovered while I was trying to figure out why the damn things wouldn't zero out properly.

(I'll provide pictures in a bit)

Edit: On a side note, how goes the MSI Animator? Not heard or seen updates for a few days on it.

Speaking of bugs... Those IR Rotors seem able to keep spinning even after the collider has come free. This of course being discovered while I was trying to figure out why the damn things wouldn't zero out properly.

(I'll provide pictures in a bit)

Edit: On a side note, how goes the MSI Animator? Not heard or seen updates for a few days on it.

It's a known bug if you spin it too fast. It's popping the joint off. It happened with the original if you set the speed to high in the cfgs. Now that the user can change it, it's at their own risk. My only suggestion is don't do that. :)

MSI Animator plugin is done on the programming side of things. Just waiting for Devo to finish up his parts. Until then I don't want to release it right now.

It's a known bug if you spin it too fast. It's popping the joint off. It happened with the original if you set the speed to high in the cfgs. Now that the user can change it, it's at their own risk. My only suggestion is don't do that. :)

Anything on not zeroing out?

MSI Animator plugin is done on the programming side of things. Just waiting for Devo to finish up his parts. Until then I don't want to release it right now.

Shouldnt be too long, I just wish they would fix the scene transition bug, it's driving me bananas at the moment, such a long time reload what is currently a bare bones database can take it's toll on mod development. I don't have many parts left to do really, just finishing up the now working IVA for the mech pod (thank you sir) and some fancy animated bits amd bobs.

I have to make mods in 0.20.2 at the moment and avoid 0.21 unless im converting something, so bare with me it's a bit of a round the world method but its much faster than waiting 20-30 seconds to start a new craft and such.

Shouldnt be too long, I just wish they would fix the scene transition bug, it's driving me bananas at the moment, such a long time reload what is currently a bare bones database can take it's toll on mod development.

I have to make mods in 0.20.2 at the moment and avoid 0.21 unless im converting something, so bare with me it's a bit of a round the world method but its much faster than waiting 20-30 seconds to start a new craft and such.

No worries. Basically it's done when it's done. :)

....fixed it for ya.

It''s like the peep with the exploding crafts video. Blames the docking washer, but the logs never mention that part as colliding and exploding. It my very well be the DW, but I couldn't see any evidence of it in the video.

The peep in question could certainly be wrong which is why they provided the .craft file and MechJeb ascent profile used during testing so anyone and everyone with an interest can take an hour or so of their time to try and recreate the problem. Capturing the video did take an hour or so with another couple of hours prior time spent making the correlation between lock and boom, and another couple of hours yesterday spent looking at the times when it doesn't go boom. The conclusion could still be wrong.

The correlation is circumstantial, but after several hundred launch events involving Stock+MechJeb craft which do not explode, when the boom begins after the addition of one single additional part... The correlation is circumstantial but strong but it could still be wrong.

Finally, the peep in question could just keep quiet about the problem and move on. The peep likes this mod and sees how much joy and creativity it has already inspired, the peep admirers and thanks the devs for all their time and hard work in bringing this mod up to date, the peep does not want to see this mod acquire a reputation for bugs random or otherwise.

The peep in question could certainly be wrong which is why they provided the .craft file and MechJeb ascent profile used during testing so anyone and everyone with an interest can take an hour or so of their time to try and recreate the problem. Capturing the video did take an hour or so with another couple of hours prior time spent making the correlation between lock and boom, and another couple of hours yesterday spent looking at the times when it doesn't go boom. The conclusion could still be wrong.

The correlation is circumstantial, but after several hundred launch events involving Stock+MechJeb craft which do not explode, when the boom begins after the addition of one single additional part... The correlation is circumstantial but strong but it could still be wrong.

Finally, the peep in question could just keep quiet about the problem and move on. The peep likes this mod and sees how much joy and creativity it has already inspired, the peep admirers and thanks the devs for all their time and hard work in bringing this mod up to date, the peep does not want to see this mod acquire a reputation for bugs random or otherwise.

Sorry if you were offended by my comments. I would have DLed the .craft and tried to be more helpful but I don't have Mechjeb installed.

Who is this "the peep" you keep speaking of? Are they one of them cadbury yellow fluffy candies? Why the hell are they playing KSP??? I think this is just ludicrous talk.

Sorry if you were offended by my comments. I would have DLed the .craft and tried to be more helpful but I don't have Mechjeb installed.

Offended? No, no worries there.

The mod needs feedback, heck, the game needs feedback. It's probably better all round to encourage a higher quality of reporting than risk sounding dismissive or offensive or offended :)

Offended? No, no worries there.

The mod needs feedback, heck, the game needs feedback. It's probably better all round to encourage a higher quality of reporting than risk sounding dismissive or offensive or offended :)

I've had numerous people with issues that ended up not being issues and I honestly overlooked yours. I'm loading it now. I do know in your first scenario you mention "free washers unlocked, and you may see some rotation." The free washers do not lock. I know it's misleading and I'm removed it from the flight actions for the next release but I will somehow make it quite obvious that it doesn't lock. I still haven't figured out how to remove it during the editors but I will add more to the description of the actual part that says that it won't lock.

I've had numerous people with issues that ended up not being issues and I honestly overlooked yours. I'm loading it now. I do know in your first scenario you mention "free washers unlocked, and you may see some rotation." The free washers do not lock. I know it's misleading and I'm removed it from the flight actions for the next release but I will somehow make it quite obvious that it doesn't lock. I still haven't figured out how to remove it during the editors but I will add more to the description of the actual part that says that it won't lock.

With the option to 'Lock' removed this may no longer be an issue worth investigating. I was interested for two reasons:

1) If the 'lock' option does nothing then what is going on?

2) With lock enabled the time warp to orbit ends in one of two possible scenarios. Either the free to rotate parts adjust position - in this case they they often appear to jump/snap into position, or the free to rotate parts do not rotate which results in instant boom. Why is this interesting? It looks like a timing problem. If there is time to reposition before the boom physics kicks in then all is well, but if the boom physics kicks in before the parts are where they should be then, boom. I don't know enough about the game internals to make a definitive comment but watching extreme terminal conditions is one way to learn.

With the option to 'Lock' removed this may no longer be an issue worth investigating. I was interested for two reasons:

1) If the 'lock' option does nothing then what is going on?

2) With lock enabled the time warp to orbit ends in one of two possible scenarios. Either the free to rotate parts adjust position - in this case they they often appear to jump/snap into position, or the free to rotate parts do not rotate which results in instant boom. Why is this interesting? It looks like a timing problem. If there is time to reposition before the boom physics kicks in then all is well, but if the boom physics kicks in before the parts are where they should be then, boom. I don't know enough about the game internals to make a definitive comment but watching extreme terminal conditions is one way to learn.

I honestly don't know. I saw the bearing trick from TT's multiwheels pack and thought it would be a neat idea to add it to the robotics pack. It has to do with the jointSpring value being very minute. This value, in unity tells it when to snap back, in this case it takes a very long time which may explain the time acceleration. Here's the class on how it's made. I honestly have't read it all to funny understand it. That groundwork was already done by r4m0n. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-ConfigurableJoint.html

I honestly don't know. I saw the bearing trick from TT's multiwheels pack and thought it would be a neat idea to add it to the robotics pack. It has to do with the jointSpring value being very minute. This value, in unity tells it when to snap back, in this case it takes a very long time which may explain the time acceleration. Here's the class on how it's made. I honestly have't read it all to funny understand it. That groundwork was already done by r4m0n. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-ConfigurableJoint.html

Whoosh!

That's the sound of the information from the link flying over my head :)

The first time I heard a bang I thought 'that must be the joint' but no, it wasn't the joint, it was the solar panels attached to the tank which was attached to the joint.

I don't know when the game applies breaking physics, I don't know when the game applies movement physics, I don't when or where the plugin code fits with the sequence and I don't know how to detect warp. I do think it's worth remembering there are situations where strange things can happen, maybe that's enough for now.

Whoosh!

That's the sound of the information from the link flying over my head :)

The first time I heard a bang I thought 'that must be the joint' but no, it wasn't the joint, it was the solar panels attached to the tank which was attached to the joint.

I don't know when the game applies breaking physics, I don't know when the game applies movement physics, I don't when or where the plugin code fits with the sequence and I don't know how to detect warp. I do think it's worth remembering there are situations where strange things can happen, maybe that's enough for now.

They call the unknown "beast" that causes strange things to happen the krakken! :)

My first attempt to recreate my old lander with the new parts. The pistons are an improvement, but I'm not fond of the (1.5x scaled I think) legs, I look forward to whatever long spindly thing you guys come up with! It still needs quantum struts to make the wheels strong enough -- I made something similar with structural parts and it's more or less fine, but the hinges and pistons are much more elastic and require reinforcement.

9550698587_0466e352a8_z_d.jpg

Also, huge improvement that every group doesn't require key assignments, I can keep things much more independent, thanks!

Edited by Markarian421