can you build an ssto?

Penguinhero

can you build an ssto?  

1. 1. can you build an ssto?

The only way around that would be to get going so fast you either get an assist from the Mun or Minmus, or escape Kerbin orbit.

Which was shown to be impossible in reddit Jetsetter! challenge thread, where the hard mode challenge was to impact the Mun. Basically, KSP jet engines, including turbojets, have a max speed, and that speed is less than the speed you'd need to reach the Mun's SoI. Not nitpicking, just adding a little info. If you had jet engines that could get you going fast enough before they flamed out, it would certainly be possible, but as you point out, it would involve leaving Kerbin's SoI, even if just by entering the Mun's SoI.

I had a pretty good SSTO in 19.2 (not tried it out again in 0.20.2). It could lift a 7ton payload to a 70km orbit and return to land either empty or having picked up something else from orbit. As with most SSTO's it was about the challenge of building one, its actually far easier to make a staged rocket to take the same payload up, but it was a fun design challenge. It did have the ability to pick up small manned craft that didn't have the capability to land themselves and bring them home safely.

RlXmAtch.jpg

there are more pics of it in this thread I made a while back about it. Since I made that thread I've improved it a bit, it now has the updated KAS mod and a few other tweaks.

This more recent pic shows it carrying a satellite in 3 sections.

oBrp1xxl.jpg

That means whatever trajectory you're on still passes through some point that's inside the atmosphere.

Intake air can be stored, briefly. So, as long as you filled up your IntakeAir tanks at low altitude, you can use the jets to circularize even if you're at an altitude where the intakes grab no new air. So no, the orbit doesn't absolutely have to go through a point inside the atmosphere, although the stock parts are not well-suited for this sort of method.

Also, you can use RCS jets. They're not rockets, per se, but they work outside an atmosphere.

I've made personnel transport SSTOs and currently working on a cargo version, although I've run into a bit of difficulty in that I just started using Deadly Re-entry. Apparently, though it seems I've been overlooking a part in B9. That large cargo hold I've seen in a couple of the pics should make designing my cargo jet a bloody bit easier (I don't know how I've missed it all this time)...

Actually, it's very easy.

Here my first SSTO. I whomped it up in about half-hour.

8e6b21fbc061.png

(I made spaceplanes before, but they all had drop tanks and drop jets).

The most hard part is to get decent speed at decent altitude (over 1500 m/s at 25-30 km).

To make orbit easy way, slap enough jets (1 per 4 tonnes), add 2-3 air intakes per jet, and a decent rocket engine with high TWR. Install ASAS to control climb ratio; when gaining speed it must be somewhere between 50 and 75 m/s.

Speed starts to drop. Time for aerospike.

6 intakes for 2 engines is slightly too much - 5 or even 4 would be enough, but with 6 intakes it is easier to avoid flameout.

31fa0a666d69.png

Short but powerful burn at 45 degrees brought altitude to 73 km

2810fb0df9c2.png

db2a85c5e24f.png

Another short burn will circularize orbit. It will take under 400 m/s

df28307c7732.png

Orbiting

34df9a6bd16c.png

There is about 1/2 of jet and 1/3 of rocket fuel left.

It means that either jet fuel tanks are excessive or there can be some useful payload.

8531eeba237f.png

Langing at KSC after exploring Kerbin mountain chains a little.

6e91543694b8.png

Started playing with FAR this week. so far made 2 successful SSTO planes

Mini-Skylon (unmanned). Very easy to fly and only needs 100-400m/s typically to circularize

8iViQ3k.jpg

My fist success in FAR. a bit squirrely when it starts to pas 1,400m/s

PVjvCb1.jpg

I haven't even entered the SPH in the couple of months I've owned the game. Too fascinated by building rockets. Though I have to admit I'd like to build a plane to do this....

Has anyone done something like this yet?

I haven't even entered the SPH in the couple of months I've owned the game. Too fascinated by building rockets. Though I have to admit I'd like to build a plane to do this....

I have, altho mine accelerates to 2400 m/s and then cruises to 100-200 km before releasing the payload. Still, same concept.

The maximum payload mass is somewhere around 12 tons. In the video example it's a single stage moon lander with enough delta V to do a targeted landing on the way back.

It's efficiency almost makes it a one size fits all lifter. I've used this plane to launch everything from probes to land and return missions to Duna.

The only problem is that the payload size is fairly limited. This could be solved by placing the engines further apart, but that makes flameouts much more difficult to handle.

Edited by maccollo

I can't comment on FAR, but if you're not trying to carry a payload it's best to stick to a single jet engine so you don't spin if you have a flameout.

Then just put as many RAM air intakes on it as you can so you can keep the jet engine running at very high altitudes to get as much speed as possible before switching to rockets. The RAM intakes work at higher altitudes and they're much lighter than the radially attached intakes.

In my experience thrust is more important than lift, a good single engine SSTO can climb at ~70° or higher right off the runway.

@Brofessional: Man, FAR is one of those 'can't live without' mods for me now. I don't know how people deal without. To think, I was hesitant to download it...

@koshelenkovv: Get 'Deadly Re-entry,' see how easy it is when shock heating blows up your jet/craft when you accelerate to early.

I did almost exactly that!! Attempting to make a replica of the Boeing X51 scramjet which is released from a B52.

LyKqITDm.jpg0E9uQdmm.jpg

Here's the full thread with more pics and description of my attempt (buts its not SSTO but anymeans for soz for being off-topic)

-snip-

StratoLaunch would count, I guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.