Interplanetary Space Science Organization

Bioman222

Hey, sorry I Haven't been active on here lately, I have been busy with school and such, so I may not get to look at any updates or notifications as soon as they are here. Just a heads up that I might not be active on here for a random period of time. Thanks!

Redwork studios;

Redwork one,

redwork two.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry to say this, but I'll have to quit. :(

School is beating me like a dead horse, and it won't be over until late november.

tumblr_meers5ZFTT1rjd55jo1_500.gif

Well, that sucks. But, stay in school, it's important. Heck, that's why I've been less active, too.

I second this. I -MAY- have to leave to.

Scratch that, see you in november. Maybe periodically in between now and then.

OK, stay in school, fly safe

• 2 weeks later...

ISSO Update

9-28-13 2:30 GMT

Thread revive!

Also, I've been think about some things with our job system, and have come up with a new job type and flow chart:

nnABaIt.png

And you might be wondering: "Well, what the heck is a launch provider?"

A launch provider is a cross between an engineer and a pilot. They have launch vehicles to launch a company's payload into space to the destination desired in the save file of the said company.

I am slightly confused by the ISSO. Is it actually talking about the science of KSP, or is it roleplaying?

If the former, please accept the following thoughts concerning gas densities:

--------------------

Abstract: The units in KSP are often poorly defined, so to try to get a handle on gas densities in the game, we'll examine the density of a stock gas, compare it to a real world equivalent, and extend that logic to other plugins.

The stock ion drive engines make use of a gas called "xenon". In the real world, there is a noble gas called xenon, but are these gasses the same? Xenon (Xe) in the real world has an atomic number of 54. So one mole of Xe is 54g. Squad's ResourcesGeneric.cfg lists the density of Kerbal Xenon (kXe) as 0.0001. Without units, we're a bit lost, but it's clear that Xe and kXe are a bit off. But what if what the Kerbals call Xenon is an element we have in our own world? To make our lives easier, we can limit the options to our noble gasses. From that, it seems like the element we call Helium is what the Kerbals call Xenon. One mole of Helium (He) is 2g. The simplistic conversion from real world moles of He to kXe would be to take the real world moles and divide it by 10,000, or 2/10000=0.0002. Pretty close. I mean, this isn't rocket science. Right?

How do some other plugins compare? Let's start with the Kethane plugin. If we assume Kethane is the equivalent of our world's methane (CH4), the calculation is fairly straight forward. C(12)+4H(4x1)=12+4=16g. So the estimated kethane density would be 16/10,000=0.0016. The kethane resources.cfg reports that kethane's density is 0.002. Looks good, taking rounding into account.

What about IonCross and the BioMass plugin? Both of these plugins provide O2 and and CO2 resources. How do these compare?

Real world O2: O(16)x2=32g. Estimate density in plugin: 0.0032

Real world CO2: C(12)+O(16x2)=12+32=44g. Estimate density in plugin: 0.0044

IonCross CrewSupport and Biomass report both O2 and CO2 densities as 0.0004. If one ignores the fact that the estimate and the actual values are off by a factor of 10, the values are fairly close.

Conclusions: The appearance of Xenon and Kethane in the stock game and a popular plugin hint that there is some conscious conversion from our world into KSP in regards to gasses. The O2 and CO2 densities in both IonCross CrewSupport and Biomass plugins have values that are very close to estimates from real world values. It suggests that IonCross made a minor calculation error that was perpetuated by other plugins. It could also jus be a wild coincidence.

I am slightly confused by the ISSO. Is it actually talking about the science of KSP, or is it roleplaying?

If the former, please accept the following thoughts concerning gas densities:

---------snip-----------

That's intresting....

Also, yes, we are legit science.

• 2 weeks later...

ISSO Update

10-17-13 15:58

So, I've been thinking lately (Isn't this how all the updates start now?), what the heck should we do, now that we have legit science in KSP. So, instead of thinking up something, I say, what say you?

Hello! I have (more or less) returned to active... err... activity. Anyways, looking through the thread, l like the progress!

Also, I believe with the new "legit science" we should totally disregard it, and continue on with the way that we / you have been working, but I'm guessing that we should include a section about the "mystery goo" and the "9001 Science Jr." modules, to include the reactions of the materials in different environments, but that would have to be done in career mode, only because the science modules done "operate" in sandbox mode. Also, I want to make it, more or less clear, that I want to be in charge of (specifically) satellite designing, and / or custom mission flags.

Thanks!

Redwork Studios,

Redwork One.

Edit (pointless)

Redwork Three (not forum registered. He's derping :P . He just says "hey! you should add my name into your post!" and im all like "okey dokey then" because I have no reason not to)

PURPOSE-FULL EDIT!

I just remembered about my new isso logo! Ill stick it in... momentarily!

Edit! Here it is!

WbMYnld.png

Edity edity :P

Its tiny!

Edited by Redwork Studios|Redwork1
pointless-ness-ing-ation!

I'd like to be reassigned as a launch provider, please. A launcher provider in testing since I'm getting revived to KSP and I'm still trying to find cool methods to develop efficient rockets.

EDIT: I could re-arrange the official document for ISSO and make it prettier...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.