Space Shuttle Atlantis Photo Tour

cchard

zk4pvg5l.jpg

Welcome to Kennedy Space Center. What's that over there?

wg7UuuUl.jpg

Life size replica of the SRB/Fuel Tank assembly over the entrance.

ubURtaUl.jpg

Nice. Right outside the entrance.

5JS3TNol.jpg

The waiting area is filled with pictures and quotes from NASA engineers and astronauts. Inside the first theater the walls are covered in concept art.

The first film uses actors to tell us the story from the start of shuttle development in the late sixties up to the first flight of Columbia. Then the doors open and you enter a second theater. This theater is pretty cool in that the screens sort of wrap all around the audience. We get to see a shuttle launch and then a bunch of different shuttle missions then it shows the final landing of Atlantis. Then the finale is this:

I was talking with the employees and they all said that people were raving about the film and the shuttle reveal. I agree. It is a really cool effect to see in person.

8pjl40Zl.jpg

The star field effect is amazing.

XZ9x76Kl.jpg

It's hard to tell from my pictures but it is possible to see the flight deck equipment is still in there.

UhA65xXl.jpg

XYOUaJzl.jpg

jfP36D8l.jpg

WQJS3HLl.jpg

FSJri1kl.jpg

Ku8HaGkl.jpg

sgklEOpl.jpg

There is also a full sized Hubble.

1qELHhEl.jpg

SSS1E2il.jpg

ErqpX0Nl.jpg

YotDByRl.jpg

A separate SSME display.

eSr6m2Tl.jpg

The exhibit also featured the ISS. Here is a miniature space station that is a crawl-through for kids to play in.

yZJA2szl.jpg

A full size station for adults.

...wait. Is that...?

zIaEGSql.jpg

Yes. Stephen Colbert has his own display at Kennedy Space Center.

nR80Cmpl.jpg

From the ground level you can see below the shuttle.

nyFAea7l.jpg

The beanie cap.

j8o2EpVl.jpg

QIJb4gLl.jpg

Space toilet simulator. They actually have a camera set up so you can practice your aim.

FIRJzktl.jpg

Space bed. Looked pretty comfy, actually.

PMymTEPl.jpg

Astro van.

DaPOogtl.jpg

The first space shuttle model. This model was used in the pre-show too.

dsRQhBhl.jpg

The fleet.

Like I posted earlier, the other thing going on this weekend was the visit of pretty much every space contractor to talk with the guests and hand out swag. I've now got a bunch of posters, stickers, temp tattoos, and informational handouts about everything from Orion and SLS to SPACEX and Sierra Nevada.

SIfprdJl.jpg

Engineering test unit of Orion. Fresh back from an abort systems test.

J0yiTEul.jpg

SpaceX. We talked about the Grasshopper's latest test (820 feet!) and I found out they are planning to launch astronauts to the ISS just a year from now.

kPrGuBMl.jpg

Boeing's new capsule on an Atlas V.

WjA8DwDl.jpg

Orion abort system.

HUIJDrql.jpg

More Orion. They just moved this from the VAB to the visitor center.

NuGAGE6l.jpg

Sweet model of the ISS.

You can see even more photos from today here: http://imgur.com/a/Q41I0

They really did a nice job with Atlantis. A couple parts are so close that if no one was looking I probably could have reached out an touched it. There were 3 levels. The first where you come in has the main view of Atlantis and Hubble plus lots of displays about working in space (including a full sized flight deck mockup, Canada Arm, and MMU). The second level had some displays on reentry plus this really cool slide for kids. It was advertised as being the same angle as the shuttle's landing glide-slope. Unfortunately it was closed as apparently a manager had tested it out and gotten injured. Finally the ground floor had all the station displays (including a cameo by Commander Hadfield), some simulators, plus the entrance to the shuttle launch experience ride.

Another interesting thing was that the Space Center tours have a whole new focus. Our tour bus driver told us they just got new scripts on Friday that focus on the future of KCS. It's all about ULA, SPACEX, the Commercial Crew program, and Orion/SLS now.

I just went to CSC and saw Endeavor. It was pretty amazing. Along the way stopped by JPL and Met Clara Ma (named Curiosity) and Bobak Fedowski (sp?) better know as Mohawk Guy.

FqW0zkO.jpg

kJuFy2G.jpg

eventually they hope to put Endeavor on a stack as if ready to launch, but they still need money for that. Currently it is just sitting on the floor enjoying a long deserved and hard earned rest.

cj9Qgn0.jpg

This is the spacecraft assembly facility (SAF) at JPL if anyone is interested.

6xloqz4.jpg

This is the famous "Mars Yard" where they test rovers.

ncB4ewG.jpg?1

And of course the sign above the front door (well right inside it actually)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.