[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

I didn't try to weld wings or control surfaces, I only welded some other parts. And after welding these parts standart control surfaces aren't shown in FAR control surface setup.

I think that at this moment this mod isn't compatible with FAR(or vice versa) as I get different aerodynamic results with the same welded and not welded constructions.

This is probably caused mostly by changes to the CoM. I've got a manually welded B9 body that I made, before the plugin came out. The modifications to the CoM changed the handling slightly, but in particular, FAR really, really hates the 'CoM offset' .cfg specification. My first attempt used it, and resulted in the plane's performance not conforming to the statics.

Having set the origin to the CoM instead of using an offset it works almost the same, but because of the lack of CoM shifting as fuel drains the empty performance isn't quite the same. Just a limitation of the welding itself, not really a compatibility problem.

just tried some welds and i noticed that the system accumulates the drag of whatever objects used... is this working as intended or am i missing something?

I though drag would work like that but it has been reported that it's not and it mess up with FAR, so I will do an average on the next version.

This is probably caused mostly by changes to the CoM. I've got a manually welded B9 body that I made, before the plugin came out. The modifications to the CoM changed the handling slightly, but in particular, FAR really, really hates the 'CoM offset' .cfg specification. My first attempt used it, and resulted in the plane's performance not conforming to the statics.

Having set the origin to the CoM instead of using an offset it works almost the same, but because of the lack of CoM shifting as fuel drains the empty performance isn't quite the same. Just a limitation of the welding itself, not really a compatibility problem.

The first version of 2.0, had CoM issue that could be the cause of the bug. Make sure to use the lastest version (playtest 2 at the moment, will release the 3 soon after .22 is out if it's not the middle of the night for me)

What does it do?

It SEEMS really heavy. I think I am attributing that to the drag.

EDIT: I have found out a few things:

1) Compiling without a command element is advisable. Remove the command element right before compiling. Then, after compiling and bring up your new part, attach a command element TO it. You have to drag the command element to it, not drag the created part to the command element. I am not sure why, but this worked the first time when I moved the craft file to the VAB, and opened it there (for another reason). May not be related at all. But might have randomly solved the orientation issue, as I noticed both my new part and the command element both appear first, in the VAB, pointing up. I think this is a big factor.

2) Torque wheels can be compiled for aesthetic purposes, but retain no torque function.

Here are over a thousand parts compiled into a single part, however also added are the Command Module (in it's proper place), engines, and 26 torque wheels. ~ 20 FPS on my mediocre Alienware laptop. Thank you UbioZur!

3) COM >does< move - at least in a left to right sense, when the part is compiled. I like that. It moves it to the center.

You will notice the craft has a right leaning tendency, that is due to the Command Module on the right being added after compile. I'll need to balance manually. Most vehicles do not have this issue.

4) engines >can< be compiled and retain their function - however I have only succeeded on a small test ship. When I add them to the Falcon the game crashes.

Please correct any of these conclusions if needed UbioZur and thanks very much.

Edited by Guest

As I was messing around with welding my service vehicle's service module into one piece, I noticed that the drag was cumulative. In KSP, I believe the way drag affects an object is based on it's weight, so a weighted average based on mass would be the the best representation (by KSP standards) of the drag of a welded object. I might also suggest you add a rounding pass to the part coordinates, though I doubt the difference between 5.38657E-12 and 0.0 is terribly important. One other thing, I had issues with getting one node of a welded part to function, would it be useful if I sent you a copy of the part for analysis?

procedural wings compatibility please :)

Procedural Fairing already avoid you to have lot and lot of wings. So I am not sure I will manage it especially since the wing data are not in the config file but the craft file.

It SEEMS really heavy. I think I am attributing that to the drag.

1) Compiling without a command element is advisable. Remove the command element right before compiling. Then, after compiling and bring up your new part, attach a command element TO it. You have to drag the command element to it, not drag the created part to the command element. I am not sure why, but this worked the first time when I moved the craft file to the VAB, and opened it there (for another reason). May not be related at all. But might have randomly solved the orientation issue, as I noticed both my new part and the command element both appear first, in the VAB, pointing up. I think this is a big factor.

Thanks I will have a look, I never had a problem with command elements (non kerbal ones).

2) Torque wheels can be compiled for aesthetic purposes, but retain no torque function.

I do add the Torque value on the config files. It should work, unless the game actually cap them at one point.

Here are over a thousand parts compiled into a single part, however also added are the Command Module (in it's proper place), engines, and 26 torque wheels. ~ 20 FPS on my mediocre Alienware laptop. Thank you UbioZur!

Looking good, added to the showcase

4) engines >can< be compiled and retain their function - however I have only succeeded on a small test ship. When I add them to the Falcon the game crashes.

Did you tried engine with fairing or those that don't have fairing (only jet, aerospikes and radial don't have fairings), welding those with fairing does spam a NULLException error, and could crash the game (it's said on the change log).

Thanks for those updates.

As I was messing around with welding my service vehicle's service module into one piece, I noticed that the drag was cumulative. In KSP, I believe the way drag affects an object is based on it's weight, so a weighted average based on mass would be the the best representation (by KSP standards) of the drag of a welded object. I might also suggest you add a rounding pass to the part coordinates, though I doubt the difference between 5.38657E-12 and 0.0 is terribly important. One other thing, I had issues with getting one node of a welded part to function, would it be useful if I sent you a copy of the part for analysis?

It has been reported that the drag is not well done, and mess a lot with FAR. I have changed it for the next version to average the value of all parts.

the difference between 5.38657E-12 and 0.0 is what the game have stored in the system.

Next version coming later today, I just need to make sure it works great with .22.

.22 Update and few other bug fix

Playtest 3 uploaded.

Science module have an un-consistency in the config file, making them buggy while welding them (they become transparent)

I will hard code a fix soon.

By default, the welding is disable in career mode (you can change it in the configuration file). All welded parts will be in tier 8 nodes (at the end of the tree). So I advice playing the tech tree fully without the mod enable for career mode, and then enable it.

All weld done previously or in sandbox save, will not be visible in career mode.

2.0 Playtest 3

ADDED .22 support (new science model are bugged)

ADDED Science module support (Cannot have multiple of ModuleScienceExperiment with the same name)

ADDED Better Animation support (Cannot have multiple of ModuleAnimateGeneric with the same name)

ADDED Transmission data support

ADDED Configuration to allow all Attach nodes to be added

ADDED Configuration to allow welding in Career Mode (advice to disable it until all nodes are researched)

ADDED Support for texture and parent in the MODEL{}

FIXED Problem with crew pod not allowing crew in them

FIXED Jet Velocity Curve Merged

FIXED Drag value, now is an average of all the parts

FIXED CrashTolerance / breaking force and torque value (now 3/4 of the sum of all the parts (previous was average) to test.

So why is this mod not working at all for me? Is it because of module manager or something. Everytime I go to weld the game freezes up for a bit like it's reloading but then the welded parts aren't appearing at all anywhere in game, nor can I find them in the UbioWeldingLtd folder; the parts folder is just empty. Help please. :)

So why is this mod not working at all for me? Is it because of module manager or something. Everytime I go to weld the game freezes up for a bit like it's reloading but then the welded parts aren't appearing at all anywhere in game, nor can I find them in the UbioWeldingLtd folder; the parts folder is just empty. Help please. :)

I've had report of incompatibility with Module manager.

So why is this incompatible with the part catalog, is it that the part catalog is overriding how you are putting the new parts into the part list?

I have no idea yet, I am trying to fix/improve the actual welding before I try to have it work with other mods. So i did not look into how Part Catalog manage it's catalog.

I use the Category field, just like the stock game does.

well, if it makes you feel any better, I doubt its this addon, maybe part catalog only generates the filter lists on loading

The best way to try that is to see if part catalog see the welded parts after restarting the game.

Hi hi, neat plugin. I tried something in the SPH though and got a weird result: i assembled a few B9 fuselage pieces together (basically in line MK2 parts) and once welded, each original part is rotated 90° up, maybe like they were saved in the VAB or something. But the global layout is still the same the parts are in line horizontally ! So, the end result is quite messed up. I'll try and post a screen if you dont see what i am trying to describe.

This plugin is bloody amazing. Better than the builtin subassembly in .22!!! Now I can try to weld and expand my bases into something more complex that lags a lot less or not at all. Hopefully Ubiozur will fix all the corner cases issues. Can I suggest to include a way to remove a welded part from the catalog? I have got a few test parts and no idea how to remove from within the game

Edited by Beduino

I'm having an issue with connecting welded parts. If I use a welded part as the initial part in the assembly then everything is fine, but if I add a welded part, there are a number of times I'm unable to connect that part to any existing nodes. Here is a screenshot showing that both parts have nodes.

soj7wCm.png

Here are links to two of my welded parts that have the issue

http://pastebin.com/eq5zsNPY

http://pastebin.com/HXjcX90T

I found that connecting a created part to a command module, for example, is a futile endeavor, but connecting said command module to the created part works. That is to say, I click on the command module, and bring it over to the part.

Hi hi, neat plugin. I tried something in the SPH though and got a weird result: i assembled a few B9 fuselage pieces together (basically in line MK2 parts) and once welded, each original part is rotated 90° up, maybe like they were saved in the VAB or something. But the global layout is still the same the parts are in line horizontally ! So, the end result is quite messed up. I'll try and post a screen if you dont see what i am trying to describe.

Thanks for the report, I will have more play with the SPH, to see if I can replicate/fix this bug with stock parts.

This plugin is bloody amazing. Better than the builtin subassembly in .22!!! Now I can try to weld and expand my bases into something more complex that lags a lot less or not at all. Hopefully Ubiozur will fix all the corner cases issues. Can I suggest to include a way to remove a welded part from the catalog? I have got a few test parts and no idea how to remove from within the game

Subassembly and this plugin does 2 different things. And I personally wouldn't live without any of them.

To remove a part, you need to go to the plugin folder (gamedata/UbioZurWeldingLtd/Part) and then the category of the part you want to remove (Pod/structural etc...) and then you will find the folder with your part in. and you can delete (be sure your save don't have a vessel using it, else that vessel will be corrupted). Either reload the database or restart the game for the part to be considered deleted.

I'm having an issue with connecting welded parts. If I use a welded part as the initial part in the assembly then everything is fine, but if I add a welded part, there are a number of times I'm unable to connect that part to any existing nodes. Here is a screenshot showing that both parts have nodes.

Here are links to two of my welded parts that have the issue

http://pastebin.com/eq5zsNPY

http://pastebin.com/HXjcX90T

Thanks for the report, I will have a look on how to improve this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.