Project Farpoint: The Leap to Eeloo

RogueMason

Hmm, 5 Kraken vessels have revealed themselves. 4 have been destroyed, 3 of which were destroyed by Kerbal ships (there was that probe that crash-landed on Eeloo...). So, what happened to the fifth one? The one that stung the Libra around Eve? We shall find out...

CHAPTER 14: SET A COURSE... FOR HOME

12 days later...

kNQfXn6l.png

Bill: “Jeb, we have our Duna window.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok, set the course and let's get the hell out of here. Nothing will get us in interplanetary space.â€Â

Lengas: “Says the still-injured captain hopefully...â€Â

Jeb: “That cruiser had some very advanced propulsion but even so it wasn't FTL. Nothing is going to catch us once we're gone from here.â€Â

6rF1qFUl.png

0Tqm57Yl.png

Jeb: “Strap in guys, I'm beginning the burn. It's gonna be rough.â€Â

xTr6w3Hl.jpg

Jeb: “Alright, burn complete. That wasn't too bad, all told. Looks like we did a pretty good job of patching the ship up.â€Â

Lengas: “Amazingly yes. Hull integrity is standing steady at 73.9%, and most systems are operational.â€Â

Jeb: “You even managed to preserve the seat warmers this time. Nice work.â€Â

Lengas: “It was my top priority.â€Â

Handorf: “What systems aren't working then?â€Â

Malrick: “3 of the 4 lasers are offline, shields are running at half-power, and one of the library terminals were lost. Of course, there's also some of the lighting. Nevertheless, most of this can still be rectified.â€Â

Bill: “My control panel up here is still half-fried, but I can at least plot courses for now.â€Â

Handorf: “Hmm, not too bad, I suppose.â€Â

Jeb: “Bob, can you get Control on comms?â€Â

Bob: “I can, but the receiver is still quite badly damaged, so we might have a hard time hearing what they have to say.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok then. Control, this is Lonestar, do you read?â€Â

KSC: “We read--ou guys, wha----happening?â€Â

K0u65nNl.jpg

Jeb: “Status update. We've just begun the hop back to Duna and every functioning system is checking out fine. How are things on your end?â€Â

KSC: “Well, th--'s good----hear. As for our end, the military is in full swing no--tha--we shocked them in---responding. We can expect sev-ral flotillas-----he time you rea---Duna.â€Â

Jeb: “Excellent, I think. Anyway, our receiver is still swiss cheese so your comms are highly fragmented. We need to cut off for now.â€Â

KSC: “Ok, we'l---ee you at Dun---hen. Conâ€â€ol out.â€Â

Bob: “Channel closed.â€Â

Jeb: “That went well... sort of...â€Â

Bill: “At least we could somewhat tell what they were saying.â€Â

Jeb: “Several flotillas of military vessels. I don't think that's going to be enough, and that's by the time we reach Duna too. We're in some deep trouble here.â€Â

Lengas: “Hey guys, we, specifically us, are also in some, umm, deep trouble... most of the snacks have been ruined.â€Â

*Awkward silence*

Jeb: “Well, it's been nice knowing you guys.â€Â

Bob: “This is... horrible! How could this happen?!â€Â

Malrick: “That's one of the most heavily reinforced sections of the ship!â€Â

Bill: “Only because it's filled with highly volatile sugary treats as well as combustible biscuits. If those went up, the entire ship would soon fill with a very sweet smoke.â€Â

Handorf: “So that's why I could smell Cocoa-Nut Crunch a few days ago...â€Â

Jeb: “Argh, those were my favourite. I'll have to make do with whatever we have, then...â€Â

Malrick: "How have we only just discovered this?!"

Lengas: "The hatch was fused, and I've only just thought of breaking it open."

Jeb: "Only just? Almost criminal, Lengas..."

Bob: "Denying us access to snacks, Lengas..."

Lengas: "Oh whatever. But, I didn't see any of you trying to free the snacks! Or, what's left of them..."

Bill: “So, we have a few weeks until the inclination change. Anybody fancy a game?â€Â

Jeb: “I vote Skrabble.â€Â

Bob: “Of course you would. Alright, I'm game for that.â€Â

Lengas: “Me too.â€Â

Jeb: “Awesome.â€Â

a4iOTrvl.png

jlJR6QPl.png

Lengas: “Hey guys, we, specifically us, are also in some, umm, deep trouble... most of the snacks have been ruined.â€Â

*Awkward silence*

Jeb: “Well, it's been nice knowing you guys.â€Â

Bob: “This is... horrible! How could this happen?!â€Â

This day shall be remembered. they did not die invane ;.;

Wow, you update ludicrously fast. I like both of these chapters!

One chapter per day, unless I decide to post two chapters in one day, which I have done :P

I'm afraid we're practically at the end of the road for this story now. Just a little more and this one is wrapped up.

Resistance is still futile, even if they're on a mission of annihilation as opposed to assimilation :P

Samething basically. They both begin with an A. Assimilation is the loss of humanity and annihilation is the loss of life so some things similar.

One chapter per day, unless I decide to post two chapters in one day, which I have done :P

I'm afraid we're practically at the end of the road for this story now. Just a little more and this one is wrapped up.

Uh oh. That's no good...

What's next? Will you continue this storyline on current game version, or will you jump to .21 and take advantage of upgrades? Personally i would build kick-ass, heavily armed cruiser and sent it Kraken-hunting near Eve *if i'd ever built military ships, which is unlikely :P*

What's next? Will you continue this storyline on current game version, or will you jump to .21 and take advantage of upgrades? Personally i would build kick-ass, heavily armed cruiser and sent it Kraken-hunting near Eve *if i'd ever built military ships, which is unlikely :P*

I'm using the current game version, as I have a lot of stuff set up ready for the story. I'll play 0.21 alongside 0.20 while I finish off though.

I'm using the current game version, as I have a lot of stuff set up ready for the story. I'll play 0.21 alongside 0.20 while I finish off though.

I'm excited for 0.21, but I also have a dilemma - should I go for Eve ([Censored] YOU AND YOUR GRAVITY!) or Dres (They said it's not to be trusted! But still...IT'S SCHMUCK BAIT!)?

And back on topic: will the Mechani-Kraken that attacked the Libra ever re-appear in your next story to become mechanical sushi?

Edited by Shinji-The-Kerbonaut

How to add insult to injury - Kerbal style :D First, you hunt down a Kraken. Then you slag it with lazor cannons. And after that you pick up debris, recycle it using EL future part - and you build a ship for yourself using recycled Kraken leftovers :D

EPILOGUE

Meanwhile, at the KSC...

Flight Director Gene: “Listen Admiral, I know we are in a bit of a mess right now, but we simply cannot step up the launch frequency to 3 capital ships per day! The logistics are a nightmare!â€Â

Admiral Hanson Kerman: I understand the difficulties, Director, but we have little choice. If the Kraken appear and we're under-prepared, you know we are all in trouble.â€Â

Gene: “Look, I can launch 3 fighters per day, that's easy, but any more than 2 frigates and we're looking at major logistical breakdowns. I suggest contacting KSC 2 to see if they can help with launches.â€Â

Hanson: “We can see, but that centre is somewhat outdated. Mason Shipyards and Industries don't operate out that way anyway, and seeing as they are the main supplier of munitions and warships, as well as your science and exploration vessels, I think we are going to have to keep launching from this pad.â€Â

Gene: “I'll see if we can step up our game, but I really don't think that we can manage it. Anyway, you have what I would call a small flotilla up in orbit right now.â€Â

Hanson: “And we still need several more flotillas if we are to stand strong against any threat. Despite our technological advancements, we are still quite a way behind the Kraken.â€Â

Gene: “You needn't worry just yet. Our tracking stations plus the base on Minmus haven't spotted anything.â€Â

Hanson: “Minmus... I have a feeling that moon is going to be a vital staging point due to it being able to look out over the entire system.â€Â

Gene: “Don't forget, we still have the Lonestar in the game, and they're armed, even if the poor ship is heavily damaged.â€Â

Hanson: “Are they headed home now?â€Â

Gene: “They're heading for Duna. It was the first friendly transfer they got.â€Â

Hanson: “We'll probably need to send a flotilla to Duna too...â€Â

Gene: “I'm sure your Atlantis frigates can manage that trip with ease.â€Â

Hanson: “Without a doubt. Maybe those new Reaper fighters can make the trip as well. I guess we'll just have to see.â€Â

Gene: “There's also something else that the tech guys have been working on that may be of significant interest to you, and probably to the Kraken as well.â€Â

Hanson: “And that would be...?â€Â

Gene: “Come on, over here...â€Â

Hanson: “What, is it really so secret that none of the controllers can know?â€Â

Gene: “Yes, it really is that secret.â€Â

Hanson: “Ok then, hit me, what is this 'something else' then?â€Â

Gene: “A renewed Krakensbane device.â€Â

------------------------------

CURRENT MILITARY STATUS: IN PREPARATION

kPYJOu8l.png

Atlantis class Torpedo Frigates:

Atlantis ATL-040

Sentinel ATL-041

PpuBx5il.png

R-49 'Reaper' Medium Fighters

xGcIuGZl.png

Revenant class Strike Frigate:

Revenant RVN-043

6eIzySGl.jpg

Callisto class Reconnaissance Frigate:

Hydra CST-042

xh99a4Gl.jpg

H-37C 'Hawk' Short Range Fighter

Statistics as of time at Lonestar TDI (trans-Duna injection)

------------------------------

Project Farpoint succeeded. The first time visiting Eeloo has been an incredible moment for Kerbal-kind. While the program may have got off to a rough start, we eventually overcame the obstacles and put men on the surface of the cold, dark planetoid so very far from the safe embrace of home. But even then, the victory became sour as a renewed threat emerged, threatening Kerbal-kind in its entirety. While the military prepares, the enemy gathers. Once more, something wicked this way comes...

HBgxbxLl.jpg

When? I don't know, but probably not for a while as I'll be playing both 0.21 and 0.20 side-by-side while I finish off, most likely.

What? Hmm... Well, a certain Systems Alliance Commander and Council Spectre may be a valued ally to the Kerbals if said Commander were around, let's put it that way. Doesn't reveal too much but it's enough of a hint :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.