Kerbals: What Are They Made Of?

I thought it was decided someway back that they were an advanced form of moss?

I'm pretty sure that was come up with after I pointed out there doesn't appear to be any other lifeform on kerbin that they could have evolved from, other than the omnipresent grass. But now there's apparently birds. Or maybe kerbals just make bird noises when off-duty...

Some people say a man is made outta mud

A Kerman's made outta muscle and blood

Muscle and blood and chlorophyll

A mind that's a-weak that can´t stand still

(

) Edited by Jones-250
link

Wouldn't the lack of animals make existence on kerbin as a plant difficult? Low CO2 levels... maybe Kerbin's oceans have traces or carbon in them and kerbals developed such a method of transportation so they could bathe in the oceans of Kerbin? Questions keep presenting themselves.

I'm curious to know where all the other Kerbals are. Are the Kerbals at the KSC the only Kerbals out there? And whats more, how did they only develope space faring technologies without developing cities and societies? So many questions!

I'm curious to know where all the other Kerbals are. Are the Kerbals at the KSC the only Kerbals out there? And whats more, how did they only develope space faring technologies without developing cities and societies? So many questions!

They live underground (hence the large eyes), and the spaceports are the only above ground structures.

They live underground (hence the large eyes), and the spaceports are the only above ground structures.

Hah! I like that theory. But isn´t photosynthesis impossible without sunlight Kerbol-light? Perhaps their color stems from some kind of fungus or moss in that case. Perhaps trough chemosynthesis. These thoughts are completely theoretical, and has no foundation in the current batch "reality" that we are studying. Nevermind me and my pointless chattering, I am just speculating.

Maybe all kerbals are just giant space nerds? Probably not. The most likely thing is that the rest are at KSC 2. Maybe it's like a backup launch pad / Ground control? Maybe they built the ground control then learnt that it's much easier to launch from the equator?

Edited by Awesomegamegeek12

Hah! I like that theory. But isn´t photosynthesis impossible without sunlight Kerbol-light? Perhaps their color stems from some kind of fungus or moss in that case. Perhaps trough chemosynthesis. These thoughts are completely theoretical, and has no foundation in the current batch "reality" that we are studying. Nevermind me and my pointless chattering, I am just speculating.

They don't need to photosynthesise. Iguanas don't, and they're green. Their colour stems from some pigment.

Sunlight is correct. The star is called "the Sun".

They don't need to photosynthesise. Iguanas don't, and they're green. Their colour stems from some pigment.

Sunlight is correct. The star is called "the Sun".

We've settled with the conclusion of kerbals are plants of some form, though not weather they normally photosynthesize or do something different, or what they're made of.

We've settled with the conclusion of kerbals are plants of some form, though not weather they normally photosynthesize or do something different, or what they're made of.

No we haven't... some people are saying they are plants, others are saying "No, that makes no sense. They are clearly animals, though it's possible (but not necessarily true) that they share some plantlike characteristics like photosynthesis".

But none on kerbin, as far as anyone's seen; just small shrubs, kerbals and grass. Maybe there's some kind of massive extinction event happening? Would explain what happened to the palms...

But none on kerbin, as far as anyone's seen; just small shrubs, kerbals and grass. Maybe there's some kind of massive extinction event happening? Would explain what happened to the palms...

OR the devs are making a space program and don't want to waste resources on massively complicated ecosystems and you just use suspension of disbelief.

I like the big eyes + no cities = underground dwellers theory. The rest needs work. :)

All other life is also underground, because the plants are so dangerous. That's also why your Kerbals wear their suits on Kerbin, to protect their feet.

Or, because kerbin clearly contains so much extremely heavy, and therefore highly radioactive elements, it glows just below the thin crust of a surface, allowing photosynthesis. This means the kerbals are ill-adapted to the low temperatures and pressures of the surface, resulting in the need for protective suits.

Edited by Kryten

All other life is also underground, because the plants are so dangerous. That's also why your Kerbals wear their suits on Kerbin, to protect their feet.

Interesting. The kerbals in the vab dont need protection. The suits are either for external environmental protection or, maybe theyre just pilots.

And even though I like the plant theory the devs have unequivocally said that the kerbals are not plants, never have been, never will be.

Green is all they really have in common, and there are plenty of green animals.

I really do think the only logical explanation, unless the devs have plans to add animals, that the kerbals are plants unless there were a lot of underground dwelling proto-kerbals or a different evolutionary chain of animals underneath (Which when I think about it would regulate the Eco-system and greenhouses gases ect.) the surface which the kerbals evolved from. Just to add, these are the reasons I think kerbals are plants for now. Not a bias 'It's green... PLANT!" kinda thing.

And although the devs have said they're not plants... ehh...science... I don't want to sound ignorant for trusting something other than the main source of the game though, them being the people that made it and all... I just... science..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.