Please help! Can't see script options for GameObject!

Okay. So...I've been doing a lot of .cfg coding, and I've been getting quite good at it. But, I have been tired of using stock parts as placeholder meshes and models and textures. So, I am getting into modeling. I've finished the Unity to KSP tutorial, but I get stuck at the last part. That part is...

I can't see my script options that it says to look for at the end of the tutorial, more specifically, the script options of the blank gameobject I create, right before writing the models into a KSP part format. It says in the inspector window right after I clicked on the empty game object that 'multi-object editing is not supported,' or something like that. Help...?

Can someone help me? If you can explain it in a short post, please just tell me here.

I'm confused. :confused:

Edited by Naten

There are resources in the Addon Dev forum. Export your model from blender as .fbx (there are other formats that will work in unity too). You will use the Part Tools to export from Unity. Check the modding info sticky and Part Tools sticky in the dev forum.

What file extensions do the model and texture files have to be? I already have a gameObject with partTools.dll on it.

At the moment, my model brandishes the file extension of .fbx and my texture, which I made on a UV map of the model, has the extension .png.

Are those fine? If not, how do you propose I convert them without losing their data or corrupting them? :confused::(

A new problem. I can't see my script options that it says to look for at the end of the tutorial, more specifically, the script options of the blank gameobject I create, right before writing the models into a KSP part format. It says in the inspector window right after I clicked on the empty game object that 'multi-object editing is not supported,' or something like that. Help...?

Edited by Naten

It says in the inspector window right after I clicked on the empty game object that 'multi-object editing is not supported,' or something like that. Help...?

Could you be a bit more specific? You haven't posted any screenshots, told us the exact error message or mentioned which unity to KSP tutorial you're following.

There's a similar error message that comes up when you select multiple GameObjects with different components. At a guess I'm wondering if you're trying to select all objects on the model before you export it - that isn't needed. When you hit write on the Part Tools component the object it's attached to and all child objects will be exported as part of the mu file.

Could you be a bit more specific? You haven't posted any screenshots, told us the exact error message or mentioned which unity to KSP tutorial you're following.

There's a similar error message that comes up when you select multiple GameObjects with different components. At a guess I'm wondering if you're trying to select all objects on the model before you export it - that isn't needed. When you hit write on the Part Tools component the object it's attached to and all child objects will be exported as part of the mu file.

Okay. I used the tutorial that Yogui posted a link to, and that was the exact error message, I am pretty sure. Thanks for the help.

Here is a screenshot.

lc9EuaL.jpg

Edited by Naten

Not really helpful to keep referring people to outdated info when they are asking for current info........

I feel for you Naten, been trying to learn this stuff as well, but no one seems to want to share current info. And 99% of the tutorial info on KSP forums is for 0.19 or before.

And 99% of the tutorial info on KSP forums is for 0.19 or before.

There is very little difference between how you set up a part with the 0.18 part tools and the 0.20 part tools. The 0.20 part tools mainly removed options that weren't used or weren't necessary, and removing the texture renaming section to go with the new MODEL{} tags that 0.20 brought to configs.

You might be running into issues with upgrading from the 0.18 part tools to the 0.20 ones, I found the easiest way to do it was to delete anything plugin related in the Unity install and just install the 0.20 part tools from scratch. To do this, re-open Unity and go Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package... and then select the 0.20 Part tools from wherever you downloaded them to. That cleared up problems I had with them not working, even after I followed the readme included with the 0.20 part tools.

Edited by hoojiwana

You might be running into issues with upgrading from the 0.18 part tools to the 0.20 ones /

Since I didn't even get Unity till after part tools for 0.20 was released Im gonna guess that's not my issue. And one of the main changes that makes outdated vids...outdated, the files in part tools has changed...Im shown to move files I don't have in the best unity to ksp vid there is.

Don't get me wrong, its awesome those vids are there, they have been rather helpful, but that having been said I still have yet to get a part into KSP from unity. I was able to make a simple part strait from blender to ksp so far (this is day 5 with blender and day3 with unity for me).

You might be running into issues with upgrading from the 0.18 part tools to the 0.20 ones

Since I didn't even get Unity till after part tools for 0.20 was released Im gonna guess that's not my issue. And one of the main changes that makes outdated vids...outdated, the files in part tools has changed...Im shown to move files I don't have in the best unity to ksp vid there is.

Don't get me wrong, its awesome those vids are there, they have been rather helpful, but that having been said I still have yet to get a part into KSP from unity. I was able to make a simple part strait from blender to ksp so far (this is day 5 with blender and day3 with unity for me).

If you have issues with the new part Tools, just keep the old one (0.18), it works fine (I'm still using it).

Edited by Yogui87

what issue are you running into converting assets from Unity to KSP, khaos?

I don't get the option to write, its like part tools is not there. Though based on one of your posts elsewhere I think I may have missed a step telling it where to write. Gonna give it another go in a bit.

I'm also having an issue with getting colliders to line up with stuff, but I suspect that's due to my jacked up modeling skills(or lack there of rather haha).

Okay. I used the tutorial that Yogui posted a link to, and that was the exact error message, I am pretty sure. Thanks for the help.

The first thing I'd do is fix the error(s) that are coming up (the red text at the bottom of the screen), the part tools will give you funky behaviour while your model has errors. You can click on the text to get a full list, but the one shown (more than 255 polygons) generally means you've forgotten to check the convex box on your mesh collider component.

I don't get the option to write, its like part tools is not there.

The write option doesn't show up until you've set the GameData directory location, have you done that (tools>Part tools)?

The write option doesn't show up until you've set the GameData directory location, have you done that (tools>Part tools)?

This was the issue, thanks all. I had set the dir for the part folder, but had not set PT to the gamedata folder.

I was able to get a little test plate into KSP! I am a little confused on scale now though. I made the plate 1.25meters in Blender, used 'scale = 1' in the config, but its a bit bigger than it should be (I didn't add nodes because its just a test, but you can see size difference).

tnjWQl1.png

edit:ok...now I am really confused haha! I just tried messing with the scale in the part config. I tried 'scale = 0.5' and then 0.1 and the part looked exactly the same. The part was 1.25m in Blender, that I am 100% sure of, so the issue must be with the scale I used in Unity, im guessing at least.

Edited by KhaosCorp
more info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.