Fan and Hard Drive Speed

chrischambers

this is general question, how do you feel about you CPU and RAM and Harddrive over cooking else playing the game.

do you feel concern that it might burn out your CPU ? cos at the moment, using my Dell Latitusw E6420, it is running very hot.

No... I don't.

On a well designed laptop there should be no issue. If you have a poorly designed laptop... with heat management problems... The system safeties should shut your system down before any damage can be done.

I play on a Desktop... with a massive heat sink and SSDs... So I have no worries at all. Laptops... are not well suited to gaming... even ones "designed for gaming" Everything is just too close together. I don't mean that they will always have problems but high end games will cause a laptop to become uncomfortably warm... They do make cooling platforms for laptops. you might try one of those.

Even if the stress levels are high for a game, which by the way is normal for an alpha release, your temperatures should always be within the limits at full load. If you are concerned then consider upgrading your cooling. It can be as simple as moving the fans and cables around for better airflow or buying better fans. Some people even under-clock their GPU to maintain healthy temperatures, but this is not really an issue in KSP as the CPU does most of the work unless you tend to use many light sources and have not set a low limit for them in which case the GPU usage goes up to 100% for me.

Regarding RAM and HDD, these do not generally tend to overheat, and if they do it is usually because of bad airflow inside your case.

this is general question, how do you feel about you CPU and RAM and Harddrive over cooking else playing the game.

do you feel concern that it might burn out your CPU ? cos at the moment, using my Dell Latitusw E6420, it is running very hot.

Dell Latitude is NOT a gaming machine, and certainly isn't up to the task of crunching the tasks that KSP sets up for the CPU. I would be surprised if the fan wasn't going nuts and the temps through the roof.

I've been playing on a Lenovo X220 laptop, the fan screams away, but I blow out the dust on a regular basis and it is fine. A proper computer should handle itself just fine, so long as it is kept clean and isn't damaged. Sadly, most laptops are not well suited for being on laps since clothing tends to reduce the airflow intake (usually through the bottom of the case) so you'll probably want to play on a flat surface.

Even if the stress levels are high for a game, which by the way is normal for an alpha release, your temperatures should always be within the limits at full load. If you are concerned then consider upgrading your cooling. It can be as simple as moving the fans and cables around for better airflow or buying better fans. Some people even under-clock their GPU to maintain healthy temperatures, but this is not really an issue in KSP as the CPU does most of the work unless you tend to use many light sources and have not set a low limit for them in which case the GPU usage goes up to 100% for me.

Regarding RAM and HDD, these do not generally tend to overheat, and if they do it is usually because of bad airflow inside your case.

I agree: In any situation running your CPU & GPU at full speed (there is free software out there you can use to test your system that way) it should not overheat. Ideally a game *should* use all power available to deliver the fastest gaming experience instead of slowing things down just so it doesn't use all your processing power. Having said that, in practice you may have a laptop that overheats too easily for whatever reason so I do recommend you test your system at full load to see if it doesn't get too hot and if it does, take precautions.

thanks for the advice, I usually on play on a flat surface, with nothing getting in the way of the airflow, and at the moment this is just a temp solution, as I am about to go out and purchase a gaming motherboard and graphics card, so hopefully this will resolve the issue.

thanks for the advice, I usually on play on a flat surface, with nothing getting in the way of the airflow, and at the moment this is just a temp solution, as I am about to go out and purchase a gaming motherboard and graphics card, so hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Just make sure you aren't going for a PCChips or Elitegroup board, and I can almost guarantee you'll be glued to the new system for the whole weekend with all the newfound smoothness it brings to the game.

...at least until you get to the point where you're building 700+ part ships and the cycle begins all over again. LOL

Well my GPU fan only ever seems to run at about 30 - 35% duty on auto according to thunder master so I figure there is room for it to get hotter under there. If you're worried though, try a program called "SpeedFan" or similar, they access the inbuilt temperature sensor (assuming you have one) to tell you how hot it's getting.

Running on a Samsung R580 here and I'm occasionally getting thermal shutdowns when I'm playing KSP, especially during summertime (weather and the intense power this game requires can conspire to shut my laptop down to submission). Heck, I've even got thermal'd before simply because of having many programs running, and even got one while uploading to youtube.

Speedfan tells that my Idle temp was around 25C-60C depending on the weather, and while KSP racks it up to around 90+C. I don't know what's the problem but I'm sure that there's something inside...

I am not worried about my PC overheating(even I have a derp intel sandy ridge cooler). Hard disk drive is OK. Only if you give my desk a slam, the computer will shut down, probally because the HDD isn't a SSD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.