"Pillar of Autumn" and the "Kugelraumer MK II"

Hey people,

I've tried myself in different designs now and now I want to share some of that with you.

The "Pillar of Autumn":

F2DADF17429AD5E2A7B6FD635364822B4596781D

867CA3AC232BA1A28A413721AED8DCCE4E50517D

The first one is my simple version of the "Pillar of Autumn"-like space craft.

Weight of the ship is about 200 tons and contains about 700 parts, so you need a good pc to actually use it. ;)

It has place for four Kerbals, currently only one of the crew is on board.

There are only 12 atomic engines on board, but they are absolutely enough to manouver this heavy beast.

The "Kugelraumer MK II":

E18EEB71539499DC7373E90F55D47C0AC88655AE

40F1B9982842CDC534F584D69303B40AE065B651

This is my masterpiece so far although it is not absolutely round. The "Kugelraumer MkII" was supposed to look like one of the Universe of "Perry Rhodan" but it somewhat differs from that.

It consists of about 1000 parts and weights about 400 tons. Together with the staging it reaches 3800 tons.

The ship itself is powered by 24 Atomic engines, the thrusters to get it up consist of 36 Mainsail Engines with about 220000 units of fuel.

It takes forever to get into orbit because of the framerate, but it works. ;)

Both ships can be refueled and send anywhere. The atomic engines are powerful enough to move those ships. It actually takes years to get anywhere and

honestly I have not tried yet, but I'm sure with enough fuel supply throug support vessels they can get anywhere.

But practically it also would take ages to refuel them because they pack way above 10000 units of fuel each.

It is all build with stock parts and no mods used.

Hope you enjoy the view! ;)

Greetz,

Streiger

Edited by Streiger

Awesome job! Earlier today I tried to view this thread but something was bugged and the page was blank. But now that I can see it both ships look great. Here is the problem with ships that use the heavy metal pieces versus the (aluminum honeycomb?) wing parts: In sci-fi, they have awesomely efficient powerplants to push all that heavy metal around, but we don't. Anyway, I would be interested to know how much Delta-V the ships have.

Hey people,

I've tried myself in different designs now and now I want to share some of that with you.

The "Pillar of Autumn":

The first one is my simple version of the "Pillar of Autumn"-like space craft.

Weight of the ship is about 200 tons and contains about 700 parts, so you need a good pc to actually use it. ;)

It has place for four Kerbals, currently only one of the crew is on board.

There are only 12 atomic engines on board, but they are absolutely enough to manouver this heavy beast.

The "Kugelraumer MK II":

This is my masterpiece so far although it is not absolutely round. The "Kugelraumer MkII" was supposed to look like one of the Universe of "Perry Rhodan" but it somewhat differs from that.

It consists of about 1000 parts and weights about 400 tons. Together with the staging it reaches 3800 tons.

The ship itself is powered by 24 Atomic engines, the thrusters to get it up consist of 36 Mainsail Engines with about 220000 units of fuel.

It takes forever to get into orbit because of the framerate, but it works. ;)

Both ships can be refueled and send anywhere. The atomic engines are powerful enough to move those ships. It actually takes years to get anywhere and

honestly I have not tried yet, but I'm sure with enough fuel supply throug support vessels they can get anywhere.

But practically it also would take ages to refuel them because they pack way above 10000 units of fuel each.

It is all build with stock parts and no mods used.

Hope you enjoy the view! ;)

Greetz,

Streiger

The Kugelraumer actually reminds me most heavily of the Spheroid class of DropShips from BattleTech...

Edited by Capt'n Skunky
Remove large images from quote

Awesome job! Earlier today I tried to view this thread but something was bugged and the page was blank. But now that I can see it both ships look great. Here is the problem with ships that use the heavy metal pieces versus the (aluminum honeycomb?) wing parts: In sci-fi, they have awesomely efficient powerplants to push all that heavy metal around, but we don't. Anyway, I would be interested to know how much Delta-V the ships have.

Since i do not have any mods installed to measure that i had to eyeball this. I think both ships have a Delta-V of about 8-10 m/s in open space which is not too bad considering the size of them and that they are powered only by atomic engines.

Both ships are also quite easily to manouver with RCS cause i managed to keep them quite balanced, even the Pillar of Autumn.

The Kugelraumer actually reminds me most heavily of the Spheroid class of DropShips from BattleTech...

Actually you are absolutely right. Looks like a Union-Class Dropship cause of the external engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.