Use of AutoCad for 3D Modelling

Just a quick question for curiosity's sake, as this is my first foray into modding with KSP; Is there any way to use the 3D models created in AutoCad in the game? Either by importing them into Blender or anyway else. The only reason I ask is that I grew up with AutoCad and I'm pretty good with it (also my old man buys the corporate version on a regular basis, so I always have a copy available to me). Given, it's been nearly a decade since I've used it in any major respect, but I still remember the basics. That being said, this is also out of laziness, since I just got Blender and in my current state I don't have the patience to learn how to use it. I spent a good two hours with it and got nowhere. What can I say? It seems easy enough, but I just don't like the interface.

So basically I'm asking if I can model in AC and fine tune in Blender.

EDIT: I just realized that this is probably the wrong forum (I'm guessing either Modeling and Texturing or Plugin Development), so I that's the case, please move my thread mods. Sorry and thanks.

Edited by espm400
My bad...

AutoCAD isn't particularly efficient for modeling. If you have access to a full Autodesk suite of some kind, your better options are 3ds Max or Inventor. If not, go ahead and learn Blender. I'm an architecture student, so I have a copy of Building Design Suite Ultimate. I use Inventor to build everything that comes out of my 3D printer. AutoCAD is really reserved for 2D design drafting now with the switch to Revit and other BIM software.

Basically, since you're a bit rusty on CAD, go ahead and save yourself the design headaches and start learning Inventor, 3ds Max, Blender, or Rhino. I know they all have learning curves, but Blender is right behind 3ds Max on the amount of knowledge available on it. Two seconds on Google brought up http://www.blender.org/ and http://www.blenderguru.com/ for tutorials.

@Phawks: Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check both the programs and tutorials out. The only reason I mentioned AutoCad is that it's the only program I'd ever done 3D design with and I'm familiar with it. Long story short, I've had a copy of it since before a P133 chip was top of the line. I did a tech-design class my last year of high school and finished the whole semester's curriculum in two weeks. For extra credit I did 3D scale model of an R33 Nissan Skyline, right down to the pistons and brake pads. Had to bring in my own rig just to finish it as it was cooking the school's computer.

As you said, it has been over a decade since I put in any time with it, so maybe you're right. I'll check out what you mentioned.

Moved it to the right subforum.

As previously stated learning a dedicated 3dsuite is definitely worth it in the end. When I started I had years of solidworks experience and like you figured I could just convert stuff over to a non parametric format and use that, but since CAD software rarely output anything with usable topology that's not advised.

If you go with Blender you are free to bug me(or any of the many others who use it) on #kspmodders on espernet.

As someone who is more competent in parametric CAD software like SolidWorks (as a consequence of my BE degree), I speak from personal experience that geometries drafted in engineering-oriented CAD convert very poorly in mesh-based modelling software like Blender, 3DS Max and Maya. The amount of work required to draft the initial geometry in AutoCAD, import into Blender and optimize it/fix mesh errors in far, far greater compared with just natively working in Blender alone.

There are numerous Blender tutorials on the 'net, and personally it took me around three months to learn Blender from scratch at a very leisurely pace - I can now fairly easily make complex geometries and UV unwrap texture maps all by myself (I'm less competent in making the actual textures match the SQUAD aesthetic, but that's probably a Photoshop-related skillset).

In common sense: AutoCAD is a parametric (CAD) modeler, it looks at objects as primitives mathematical objects and not as a bunch of faces like the mesh modeling software.

To make a model for a game, you need to think like a face! Litterally. You need to think where your faces are, how will the normals smoothen up, where your uvw maps will be and how you'll make them, etc.

I see now that everyone previously posted almost the same thing =)

PS: I am working in 3ds max for over 7 years. It doesn't really matter which mesh modeling program you choose to use, they all do the job right. It's all about getting used to one program.

To all of you, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate all of the helpful insight. I'm going to give Blender another go, seeing as it seems to have a knowledgeable and fairly dense userbase. Given as I already have the program, I will probably use basic designs in AutoCad to figure out scaling issues (I'm currently starting work on the Hunter-Gratzner from Pitch Black, which has surprisingly little detail on it's size specifications), and get a basic layout before I start modeling in Blender. Perhaps once I get more comfortable with Blender, perhaps I will use it for all this, but given that I found on this was an interview with it's creator (the model used for the movie was 9' @ 1/36th scale), I ended up with an approx. size of 100m (324'), which I figured would have to be scaled down, which for me is currently easier in AC.

Again, to all those who replied, thanks for the support. Also, @DYJ, I may take you up on that offer if I continue to struggle with Blender, although a touch of sobriety may aid me just as well (at least as far as last night's first attempt).

I started off making models in autocad (I've used it for 15 years) and importing them into Blender. They can be 'okay' as long as you extrude polygons rather than arcs/circles/ellipses but I've found it far far better to bite the bullet and learn how to use Blender to even a basic degree.

Although I still sometimes catch myself thinking "I'd have done this ages ago in AutoCAD"...the cleanup once it was in Blender would make me a sad panda.

Well, as I said, I've been using AutoCad for a long while myself, but after finding Blender Cookie, spending about two hours watching tutorials (while sober), and the last four hours applying what I learned, I have to say, it's a helluva a lot faster and easier using Blender. Although some of the camera controls still trip me up (gotta stop right-clicking to pan the camera), all in all it's starting to grow on me, and it's safe to say I've got the basics down.

On top of that, I found a tiny little program called 'ImageJ' that allows me to get fairly accurate measurements off plain old jpegs so long as you have at least some info and preferably one good profile view. I'm fairly confident that I managed to get reasonably accurate measurements for all the modules of the H-G from one overhead shot, and two iso shots of the original model, and the only info I had to start was the total overall length.

I'll probably have questions in the future (like how big of a model file can you have before you start causing massive lag), but since you guys have answered my question and otherwise helped me out immensely, I'll save that for another day and another thread. Thanks again all.

EDIT: The more I work on this ship, the more I realize that it's a great object to learn how to use this type of program (at least in my opinion).

Let me explain; first off, I'm building the ship in modules, not as a whole and as it's my first use of this software, I'm not going for that much detail as of yet. Secondly, if you look at it's design, the two cargo holds are very simple designs and are basically the same, the third has shown me how to replace pieces I've cut out, as well as the mirror modifier. I haven't started on any more of it, but the fourth and fifth cargo modules are increasingly more complex. Then you have engine module and the cockpit, which is a myriad of shapes that have to be precisely placed. As I said, this is starting to grow on me...

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/YUYm3J0.jpg' alt='YUYm3J0.jpg'>

Edited by espm400

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.