Radial engine mount\case(holster\shell\how you call it)

zzz

My hundredth post will be first thread

z_Missing things(volume1):

I made some parts - it's radial mount but case. Main purpose of it is to hold radial LV-N but it also can to hold LV-T30 or LV-45, I think from (a bit yellow)picture you will understand how it works.

3 parts - single mount and two double mounts.

It not fit at all and looks strange but maybe someone will find purpose for it. To place engines inside can be tricky but I think experienced rocket builders is able to cope with it. Better is to overturn it temporarily to see engines nozzles

6z2D4oU.jpg

Guys, I'm know what I'm doing here and how things work( ability to make this is some proof of it isn't it?), It's not my first part and everything is intentional(but some of the decisions you may not like or can be not really good but I has reasons for it), so I appreciate suggestions(not too much) but I not need your guides, it's not complicated thing. There no any "localised version" exist and I have last KSP (And you must have 0.20+ version for it) and for me all is works and as intended

Reuploaded. Now with "proper" folder structure, in "proper" category and texture in TGA as suggested.

http://www./?ayapzqgj9fpgqwb

I've fixed the configs for these and added them to the .22 tech tree.

Download the mod from the zzz's first post and replace the configs with these:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64621786/radial_mount.zip

Edited by zzz

With the engine build in?

Because I dont want to make engine, It's not hard to turn it to engine but by this way it's more flexible.

It was idea to make cover for radial engine because I was not happy with plates. Not to make another engine.

Edited by zzz

These look awesome. The models are great and the textures are amazing. Im always making crap looking off-shoots to serve the same effect on alot of my landers....looks like Ill have some eye-candy to do that with now.

edit: Not showing up ingame for me. The configs are a bit confusing to me.

Edited by KhaosCorp

They look nice! The mod doesn't have a mod folder, and if you are planning on releasing more parts you should set up the directory structure like this: GameData\modname\Parts\partname. Right now you just have the partname folder.

I seem to be having the same issue. The parts are not appearing ingame. They are not in the aero tab, i've changed the category to structure, but they still don't appear.

Does anybody know why this might be?

EDIT: Found the problem!! In the parts file, the second paragraph:

MODEL
{
model = z_case/mount2
}

Should actually be:

mesh = mount2.mu

Respectively for each file.

Edited by erbmur

It looks like you tried to use the same texture on multiple parts by putting them in the same folder. The part tools export in unity writes the location of the textures in the .mu file and you cant put multiple .cfg in the same folder you have to split up each part into its own folder. If you want to reuse one texture you have to set it up in the config.

Folders should look like this, I just picked a name for the folders could be anything, but the .cfg has to be called "part.cfg" for the game to read it.

rf45N4N.jpg

Edited by frizzank

Guys, OP picture is ingame so, you can see it - sometimes it works.

Not need to "fix" anything in config or in folder structure. You must to have 0.20+ version of game and z_case folder must be in GameData(not in GameData/useless_junk/strange_things) and you'll find it in the end of "aero" tab (I place it there because my "structure" tab already overloaded)

Should actually be:

No, it should't

and you cant put multiple .cfg in the same folder

I can.

Well you left out something in the download because I followed your instructions and have nothing in game.

Maybe I have special KSP.

I remove all my files from gamedata, download archive, put it in gamedata, launch KSP and parts is here(sorry for wrong "tense", imagine it in "past")

Edited by zzz

Well you left out something in the download because I followed your instructions and have nothing in game. Others have the same issue.

I seem to be having the same issue. The parts are not appearing ingame. They are not in the aero tab, i've changed the category to structure, but they still don't appear.

Does anybody know why this might be?

EDIT: Found the problem!! In the parts file, the second paragraph:

Doing that last step that erbmur sugested made them show up.

We are just trying to help, so everyone can see the awesome work you did.

Edited by frizzank

A few suggestions if i may...

Your textures are awesome but as is a memory hog. When writing from Unity into KSP you should use texture format 'TGA_Compressed'. This works fine with PNG textures and greatly reduces texture footprint.

Your entire 'MODEL{}' section can be replaced with 'mesh = name.mu'. This is kinda the standard for .mu models.

Also if your going to make it a gamedata install why not follow the same file structure as Squad...and every other mod that used gamedata install method.

Its your mod so do as you wish, but will cut down the amount of complaints and confusion if you stick to methods most used.

When writing from Unity into KSP you should use texture format 'TGA_Compressed'. This works fine with PNG textures and greatly reduces texture footprint.

I load only one texture and tga is 4times bigger. And foldiers - there only one foldier - just put it in game data. What is, as to the user, the difference how it organized inside? It's have sense when you install lot of folders .

and every other mod that used gamedata install method.

I have some "just plugin" plugins where is no "plugin" foldier inside mod foldier but just one dll.

Well ok, don't thought it will be such fuss, with previous "without thread" sharing all was much easier. Will do everything as you wish when awake.

Edited by zzz

his texture is only 914 k he's alright. MBM will be way bigger. I think the idea of these is cool but using them in the VAB is kind of clunky and most engines clip through them because of the size. One thing you could do is have an animated door or panel that's open in the vab and closes around the engines.

Well, compensating for the language differences, what I've gotten out of this is:

Replace

MODEL
{
model = z_case/mount2
}

with

MODEL
{
model = z_case/Parts/Aero/mount2
}

And create the appropriate file structure otherwise, the mod will indeed, not function. Sorry OP, but it's your version of KSP. Either out of date, or there's some difference between our localized versions. It wouldn't work until I did this.

â–º One CAN use multiple configs in a single folder. As long as the model data is assigned properly, there's no problem. B9 and several other mods use similar setups with no issues.

i5v5.jpg

category = Aero

Is the reason these appear in the Aero tab. If you want them somewhere else, then be sure to change the assigned category.

The center of selection on the mounts needs to be moved back so it's actually at the mounting bracket, and not the very top of the engine housing. This makes them harder to place than it needs to be.

... That all being said. These models do look quite awesome, and I'd love to see an entire ship set based on the style.

EDIT:

I made alternate configs for mounts 2 and 3 so they can hold an LLL nuclear engine. :D!

screenshot3_zps77719e07.png

screenshot4_zps1f1fbe73.png

screenshot2_zpse579a0eb.png

Edited by Black Wyvern
Added stuff.

I think the engine attach nodes being up in the mount was intentional. If you get them in there right you can hardly see the nozzles out the bottom. It is a bit touchy to get the engines in, but the end result is awesome.

As far as the multiple configs go there is no issue there, in fact i think all of them could be the same file(or maybe that only works if your rescaling the same model...not sure about that).

I think the engine attach nodes being up in the mount was intentional. If you get them in there right you can hardly see the nozzles out the bottom. It is a bit touchy to get the engines in, but the end result is awesome.

I don't have issues with the actual engine attach nodes, it's the node that attaches the housing to the rocket/ship. Moved it back to -2 and it now places from the mounting bracket correctly.

could you upload a .zip version, the thing are friking out! everything is in the wrong folder.

It will work as is if the previous install instructions (from zzz) are followed, its just not your typical file structure. Also you can unzip this with 7zip, its a free download and handy to have.

I have been learning this stuff this past week, reading for hours tutorials on this forum and the wiki. Everything I read says that TGA_Compressed and even .mbm is better memory usage than .png.

others and myself have noticed a big jump in memory usage when using .TGA's.... Personally ,I don't mind a little longer load time when using .PNG's.

My hundredth post will be first thread

z_Missing things(volume1):

I made some parts - it's radial mount but case. Main purpose of it is to hold radial LV-N but it also can to hold LV-T30 or LV-45, I think from (a bit yellow)picture you will understand how it works.

3 parts - single mount and two double mounts.

It not fit at all and looks strange but maybe someone will find purpose for it. To place engines inside can be tricky but I think experienced rocket builders is able to cope with it. Better is to overturn it temporarily to see engines nozzles

6z2D4oU.jpg

AWESOME!! Excellent Job! :)

others and myself have noticed a big jump in memory usage when using .TGA's.... Personally ,I don't mind a little longer load time when using .PNG's.

Ah i see. Well thats good info to have, since damn near EVERY tutorial or info page that can be found says TGA and MBM are best formats for KSP. Honestly I could care less about load times, its overall footprint when loadd what becomes an issue. Thanks for passing that on =)

And thanks again for these mounts zzz, lower part count AND lookin that good doing it........thats a win/win in my book!

Man, these look crazy good.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the stock nuclear motor and the lvt 45 and 30 engines clip through the housing a bit. Does anyone have suggestions on some engines that don't clip through?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.