The J5 series - To the Mun, and beyond!

Reliability. Stability. Flexibility.4

When James Sankis founded Trioptimum, he was rumoured to be mad. The kerbalnauts were villagers recruited from the nearby town of Boatmurdered, and his rockets were bundles of fireworks strapped on birds captured from the town square.

But though the Rocket-Assisted Pigeon Project was finally retired last year after fifteen tears of testing (including the famous "Determined Dave", who survived three consecutive launches), TriOp lives on. And with our new J5 lineup, we know that we'll help you* reach the star of your dreams**.

* 'you' is defined for the purposes of this document to mean a customer availing of our services, EXCEPT for the following: their limbs, their eyeballs, their internal organs (sexual and otherwise), and their bones.

** Return trip not guaranteed

Our lineup:

dujv.jpgikpf.jpg

The J5-04, TriOp's iconic Tri-Force rocket design. Despite being designed for Kerbal orbit, it achieved Munar orbit on its first attempt. Now, other companies don't give enough fuel for that, believing in such silly ideals as 'efficiency', and the bare minimum. At TriOp, we don't believe in that. We supply our rockets with more than double the fuel needed to achieve orbit, and as a result can use a single design to go anywhere between Kerbal and the Mun, the bean counters in Accounting be damned. The distributed thrusters ensure that it remains stable during flight, and the drop tanks release unnecessary weight as the J5-04 soars above the heavens.

Variants [Note: some files contain Mechjeb (Mech) and Kethane (Ke) parts]

The J5-05

fijz.jpgl5gp.jpg

Coming off of the Nobody Died coke party from the J5-04's success, our engineers and safety inspectors set about improving the design even further. They decided that unlike normal multi stage launchers, every engine would pull its weight in flight. And so, when the J5-05 flies into the sky, it is only because all four engines are putting their all into it, with no room for dirty looting parasite engines that laze about waiting for orbit.

Currently, J5-05 is TriOp's flagship vehicle for our Mun refuelling station, which will soon enable to reach further, and further beyond safety regulations than ever before.

Variants [Note: some files contain Mechjeb 2 (Mech2) parts]

Edited by Artie

That's right. As the rocket ascends, they are ejected to lose weight.

The only annoyance with that is I have to disable the second lowest tank so that the lowest empties first. Surprisingly, the flight log doesn't record much damage from the main engines' exhaust.

That's right. As the rocket ascends, they are ejected to lose weight.

The only annoyance with that is I have to disable the second lowest tank so that the lowest empties first. Surprisingly, the flight log doesn't record much damage from the main engines' exhaust.

You could have the lower tank draining into the upper tank, then just have the upper tank going to engines.

You could have the lower tank draining into the upper tank, then just have the upper tank going to engines.

I've tried, but unfortunately the decoupler gets in the- huh, so it doesn't. Thanks!

l5gp.jpg

Ah, young love...

Even after spending so much effort on docking, the two J5-05 Fuelling Orbiters (craft file coming soon!) still have mostly full tanks ready to serve probes going beyond the Mun. Soon they will open their relationship, allowing a station core to expand their abilities and permit more orbiters to join their fledgling station. And in due time, who knows, perhaps some Kerbals to bring joy and life to the union only now created.

...Seriously though, this was my first successful docking, and I wasn't even expecting to be able to do it - I had the Quantum system set up and everything before realising that it wouldn't work.

And there was no RCS. Just me and Mechjeb.

...was I not meant to mention Mechjeb?

Sorry.

I've tried, but unfortunately the decoupler gets in the- huh, so it doesn't. Thanks!

Just stick cubic octogonal struts to the side of both tanks, and pass your fuel lines through this. I use this technique when I can't get my fuel lines to reach the destination, like for your current situation.

Just stick cubic octogonal struts to the side of both tanks, and pass your fuel lines through this. I use this technique when I can't get my fuel lines to reach the destination, like for your current situation.

Actually I've found that even if the lines just look like they're sicking to the decoupler, the fuel can travel up anyway. Thanks for the tip, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.