How to reach a point in an orbit burning south or north?

Hello, I had some problems to make the orbit circular, but now I got it thanks to stupid_chris, now I've got a new problem, when burning to south or north, this case south, to reach the Kethane deposit (the green hexagons on the map), I get my Apoapsis really far away, what point of the orbit should I burn south to get near to the green hexagons? (later I'll burn retrograde to land in the deposit, but for now I need to know this).

A picture showing my problem:

3wsk.png

Hmmm, inclination changes, my favourite flavour!

You'll want an An/Dn angle at least equal to the latitude of the green hexs, and then wait till the planet comes around. You can either do the inclination burn directly, and easily using the tricks I show in the video, or you can use the maneuver nodes, but in addition to the normal/anti-normal pink markers to get the inclination where you want it, you also need to use some retrograde to keep the Ap from going waaaay out there. (The vid explains why this happens)

purpletarget's posted link above is great for explaining changing your orbital inclination. For me I've found that launching directly into your target inclination is much easier. Unless your making that inclination change when you are very far away, the fuel cost just becomes a bit prohibitive.

Hmmm, inclination changes, my favourite flavour!

You'll want an An/Dn angle at least equal to the latitude of the green hexs, and then wait till the planet comes around. You can either do the inclination burn directly, and easily using the tricks I show in the video, or you can use the maneuver nodes, but in addition to the normal/anti-normal pink markers to get the inclination where you want it, you also need to use some retrograde to keep the Ap from going waaaay out there. (The vid explains why this happens)

Problem is I'm now at my girlfriend's house with my laptop with my cell phone internet, and it has a limit of 2GB and I almost end it, then it'll be 56kb internet when finishes the 2Gb and I can't watch videos.

I'll try to go to a friend's house to watch the video.

Mixture of normals, antinormals, progrades, and retrogrades on the nodes will do :D

Problem is as you can see in the picture, it requires a lot of acceleration since the apoapsis goes far and crazy, there's no way to do normal/antinormal without the apoapsis going far and crazy?

Inclination changes require that you rotate you ship during the burn. As your inclination changes, so does the normal/antinormal axis, so you need to rotate your ship accordingly, or do it in several burns.

The easiest way is to use MechJeb and use the Smart ASS to keep your ship pointed Normal/Antinormal during the burn.

And yes, inclination changes are expensive in terms of fuel. It is best to minimize them. They are cheaper when done at a high altitude (because you are going slower), so it is usually best to do them when you are entering the SOI of a planet, or even to raise your altitude, change your inclination, and come down again.

Edited by Nibb31

Problem is as you can see in the picture, it requires a lot of acceleration since the apoapsis goes far and crazy, there's no way to do normal/antinormal without the apoapsis going far and crazy?

Have you tried adjusting the retrogrades?

Inclination changes require that you rotate you ship during the burn. As your inclination changes, so does the normal/antinormal axis, so you need to rotate your ship accordingly, or do it in several burns.

The easiest way is to use MechJeb and use the Smart ASS to keep your ship pointed Normal/Antinormal during the burn.

And yes, inclination changes are expensive in terms of fuel. It is best to minimize them. They are cheaper when done at a high altitude (because you are going slower), so it is usually best to do them when you are entering the SOI of a planet, or even to raise your altitude, change your inclination, and come down again.

You don't need to follow the rotating normals, it's more efficient to go straight at the half-angle. And the calculation involves dividing by two, and adding 90. It's literally quicker than the time it would take to even search for Mechjeb on the Spaceport, much less install it.

And as for the altitude thing, pushing the Ap up for a higher altitude only starts producing dV savings for inclination changes of about 60 degrees or more.

An easy stock KSP way of easily changing your inclination would be to set the Mun as your target(0 Inclination). Place a maneuver node at either the ascending node, or descending node. Then burn normal or antinormal as needed.

An easy stock KSP way of easily changing your inclination would be to set the Mun as your target(0 Inclination). Place a maneuver node at either the ascending node, or descending node. Then burn normal or antinormal as needed.

He's aiming for a kethane deposit, not for equatiroal orbit.

@OP. If you want to prevent pushing your app out, you'll have to combine a normal and a retrograde. Remember you can adjust multiple points (retro/prograde, normal/antinormal) in the same manouvernode

He's aiming for a kethane deposit, not for equatiroal orbit.

@OP. If you want to prevent pushing your app out, you'll have to combine a normal and a retrograde. Remember you can adjust multiple points (retro/prograde, normal/antinormal) in the same manouvernode

I meant using the target system to make an easy inclination change. Since if you burn at the intersection, all your delta-v goes into changing your inclination; it's efficient, and you don't end up changing your Pe/Ap, unless you want to. Once you get the major delta-v spent on getting the proper inclination, radially burning to the proper orbital intersect is trivial.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.