KSP video settings.

Basically I was just wondering what would be the ideal video settings for a lower end computer with recording while keeping things looking decent as much as possible.

For example when I have a ship flying through an atmosphere producing smoke effects I get a very low FPS once the effects are gone though the FPS usually comes back up into the mid to high 20's which to me is an OK amount, although the higher the fps the better of course.

Could someone tell me the best setting for decent quality to the game while keeping a decent FPS because to be honest I do not know what half of the video settings even are. Like V sync and crap like that! :P

Thanks in advance guys!

I would like to know the answer to this as well, as video settings and the terms behind them are not something I'm very adept at. Also, in this thread you did ask a question, so instead of stealing your question I'll try to answer it as well(to the best of my abilities). :)

I believe that turning your rendering down increases FPS, but makes you more likely to clip through the floor/Easter Eggs.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for reading and Happy Flying! :D

Rendering quality and screen resolution seem to do the most. Most of my lag comes from looking at certain areas on Kerbin. I can look straight down over KSC and I'll lag like crazy, But on the other side of the planet or something it hardly lags me at all even though im looking down at the same angle.

Subcidal I have the same problem, I got the render quality down to medium because I can't stand the look of it any lower then that.

Razorwolf Exactly the terminology behind the options I have no clue as to what some of them are.... I'm really hoping someone with the knowledge feels like replying to this soon.

I have settings all high but then I have the "Laythe Ocean""Kerbin Ocean" and "Eve Ocean" settings as low as possible.

Makes the oceans practically transparent but improves Fps by a lot.

I assume you did this in a settings .cfg? Mind pointing out the changes you made?

I assume you did this in a settings .cfg? Mind pointing out the changes you made?

What you do is you go in the settings.cfg and look for "KerbinOcean", "LaytheOcean", and "EveOcean." There are three of each for each terrain setting, so look for the ones under your terrain setting (low, medium, or high). Under these, there is something called "maxSubdivision." Change that to 2 or 1 and that should greatly reduce lag on Kerbin.

What you do is you go in the settings.cfg and look for "KerbinOcean", "LaytheOcean", and "EveOcean." There are three of each for each terrain setting, so look for the ones under your terrain setting (low, medium, or high). Under these, there is something called "maxSubdivision." Change that to 2 or 1 and that should greatly reduce lag on Kerbin.

Yup this is how you do it. It makes the oceans look horrendous however. But it means way better gameplay for most of us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.