[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

e-dog, I just want to tell you that you are a hero. This mod means never needing any other fairing parts again. It means I can loft my huge ring station sections in FAR, without building some monstrous rocket of doom to overpower the otherwise unpredictable drag - hell, the lifter even looks halfway cool. This is brilliant.

As an aside, I tried popping the fairings on such a ring section while lifting, and let's just say, aerodynamically stable it was not. :)

Is there anyway to dial down the ejection force/torque of the fairings? On several large (or tall) loads I have had incidents where the fairings eject and then proceed to destroy the final stage tank/engine/solar panels. Is there a .cfg file that has the force written on it?

Is there anyway to dial down the ejection force/torque of the fairings? On several large (or tall) loads I have had incidents where the fairings eject and then proceed to destroy the final stage tank/engine/solar panels. Is there a .cfg file that has the force written on it?

Just take a look at the part.cfg of these two fairing parts and you will find it.

Any update news?

Hehe, just when I was uploading it to SpacePort :)

Updated to 2.0, it goes beyond what I initially planned for this mod, so I guess it deserves the major version bump.

• Inline truncated fairings are now created between two bases (one must be flipped). It won't work properly for off-center bases. If you want it off-center, tell me what for and how it should look.
  • You can now change ejection force by pressing F when mouse is over the side fairing.
  • Fixed rapid unplanned disassembly of side fairings when going out of time warp sometimes.

Future plans:

• Low-profile fairing base (just a ring) and remaking base model to look more lightweight.
  • Simple procedural decoupler with shroud, intended for engines which have no built-in fairings.
  • Interstage fairing adapter/decoupler with adjustable height and radii which simulates fairing sides supporting the part above by decoupling from it when the side fairings are ejected.

Is it possible for me to mod it so that the egg-shaped fairing is placed on a baseplate by default? I never use the other one and I'd like to eliminate the extra step of putting the fairing part on the baseplate part.

Is it possible for me to mod it so that the egg-shaped fairing is placed on a baseplate by default? I never use the other one and I'd like to eliminate the extra step of putting the fairing part on the baseplate part.

I don't know, it looks possible but quick look through the API isn't very reassuring. You'll need to find AvailablePart for side fairing, create Part from it (which isn't clear how to do, EditorLogic.SpawnPart doesn't return the new part) and attach it to the base.

Interstage fairings work great! My only issue is it's hard to adjust the radius for them because you have to adjust both of the bases individually to get them to line up. If there was some easier way to do that it would be perfect. Low profile fairing bases will be nice too, as the current ones are a bit big for interstage

Interstage fairings work great! My only issue is it's hard to adjust the radius for them because you have to adjust both of the bases individually to get them to line up. If there was some easier way to do that it would be perfect. Low profile fairing bases will be nice too, as the current ones are a bit big for interstage

Why do you need to adjust both bases? Are you attaching fairings to each base?

Just attach sides to one of the bases with symmetry enabled, and they'll form the full circle, adjust that base radius only.

Awe. Some. They work for 2m -> 1.25 interstage fairings as well. Now to go modify a couple KW decouplers to act as Procedural Fairing interstage bases. No more manually tweaking config files to create custom interstage fairings.

Why do you need to adjust both bases? Are you attaching fairings to each base?

Just attach sides to one of the bases with symmetry enabled, and they'll form the full circle, adjust that base radius only.

Huh, it does work. I must have been doing something different. Well, great update, probably my most used mod these days!

How hard to do would be procedural fuel tanks? I imagine plugin which allow to type height or fuel capacity (and type) and choose diameter (0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5 meters).

Isn't it what Modular Fuel Tanks mod does? I haven't checked it though, I might be wrong.

Love his mod but i can't make anything with them since they do this

TJHrOk5.jpg

They dont hold the stuff inside, so it keeps wobbling, even when I place loads of struts down. I think it may be to do with the bases :/