1. 1. planes or rockets?

• Planes
    • Rockets
    • I like them both
    • I hate them... i EVA to orbit like how superman does

which do you prefer?

I prefer rockets

they are easier to fly and are more consistent

i mean... with the same rocket i am pretty sure how much fuel i will be left with when i get into low orbit

but plane?? everytime is a new story... i am never sure...sometimes there's much to spare while other times i cant even fly it into orbit; not to say docking for a refuel then continue the journey...

(IOW... planes are more challenging and hence more satisfying flying while rockets are way easier and less frustrating at times.)

Edited by lammatt

Rockets, since SSTO Spaceplanes tend to be awesome, but impractical in-game.

(yeah I know I can't build an SSTO Spaceplane into orbit yeah I know I'm won't be able to be a full-fledged pro KSP player yeah I know you're superior than people who can't do SSTOs go call me a noob I know about that blah blah blah...)

(yeah I know I can't build an SSTO Spaceplane into orbit yeah I know I'm won't be able to be a full-fledged pro KSP player yeah I know you're superior than people who can't do SSTOs go call me a noob I know about that blah blah blah...)

Is the second part of your post really necessary? I understand what you are trying to say but it just comes of as immature.

Anyways, i prefer rockets to get the job done but I like to play around with space planes.

I pretty much just build rockets to support the planes.

I disagree.

An SSTO Spaceplane is just an orbiter that can get itself to orbit, as well as fly around Kerbin and Laythe, and land at a specific location reliably (without automation). You can put legs at the back to land like an orbiter/lander as well. You can also refuel them in orbit like an orbiter, and on the ground as well... since it can get itself back to orbit. It does not have to be a big to use a 3 seater cockpit, or even a have a hitchhiker container.

What is not to like?

I pretty much just build rockets to support the planes.

I disagree.

An SSTO Spaceplane is just an orbiter that can get itself to orbit, as well as fly around Kerbin and Laythe, and land at a specific location reliably (without automation). You can put legs at the back to land like an orbiter/lander as well. You can also refuel them in orbit like an orbiter, and on the ground as well... since it can get itself back to orbit. It does not have to be a big to use a 3 seater cockpit, or even a have a hitchhiker container.

What is not to like?

i guess it's because it's way harder to fly than a rocket in the game

Is the second part of your post really necessary? I understand what you are trying to say but it just comes of as immature.

Anyways, i prefer rockets to get the job done but I like to play around with space planes.

'Is the first part of your post really necessary? I understand what you are trying to say but it just comes of as immature.'

Ahh... I <3 my hypocrisy.

Anyhow, I completely agree with your thoughts on spaceplanes and rockets. Rockets are the workhorses of my space program where as spaceplanes are its toys. I wouldn't want to choose one over the other, I have a lot of fun with both.

'Is the first part of your post really necessary? I understand what you are trying to say but it just comes of as immature.'

Ahh... I <3 my hypocrisy.

Anyhow, I completely agree with your thoughts on spaceplanes and rockets. Rockets are the workhorses of my space program where as spaceplanes are its toys. I wouldn't want to choose one over the other, I have a lot of fun with both.

Please do educated me on the hypocrisy.

It's MY hypocrisy! You can't have it! Seriously tho, you don't need to take the odd joke so seriously, the guy was just trying to be funny. If having a sense of humour is a sign of immaturity then maybe we should just give up on this whole "being adults" thing altogether. :)

Both, different jobs have different tools.

With the save breaking coming up in 0.21 it gives a chance to try out new strategies; ideally I want to use space planes (SSTO if I can manage it with FAR, Deadly Re-Entry and life support) for LKO stuff: station re-supply, satellite launches and recovery etc. Hopefully it will be one or two reconfigurable standard designs.

Rockets get used for heavy lifting and long range stuff, trips to other planets and the like. A Mün shot will be rocket based though if I'm going for an assemble it in orbit approach then some part and crew may be lifted with space planes. And to confuse the border a little more a trip to a planet with atmosphere might see a rocket launched space plane.

Atmospheric planes are going to be used for recovery of crew and probes in the (likely) event I miss landing them close to the KSC. Re-fuelling spaceplanes might even be on the cards if I want to fly them home.

It's MY hypocrisy! You can't have it! Seriously tho, you don't need to take the odd joke so seriously, the guy was just trying to be funny. If having a sense of humour is a sign of immaturity then maybe we should just give up on this whole "being adults" thing altogether. :)

I guess that is the way you perceived it. I on the other hand saw a wall of negativity.

I go through phases, but I've just built a spaceplane that I'm really proud of. 3000 m/s delta V once it's reached orbit (about 2,500 with the addition of RCS thrusters), stable in hypersonic flight, so that it tends to return to the direction of travel rather than flip out, and will do 2000 m/s at 26,000 on jets alone. It's got massive wing area and glides nicely, so I reckon it's the perfect vessel for Laythe exploration. Just send up a hitchhiker container with some extra fuel on a rocket, dock with the plane in orbit, go to Laythe, fun times!

NERVAGlide.png

I have yet to crack the SSTO nut, but I do use a rocket launched space plane for the coolness factor.

well...

this is indeed harder to achieve

since you know.. planes does not have a 2-fold symmetry and it tends to shift center of mass of the rocket a bit even if you stack it on top of the rocket (you cant attach things below the jet engines anyways)

well...

this is indeed harder to achieve

since you know.. planes does not have a 2-fold symmetry and it tends to shift center of mass of the rocket a bit even if you stack it on top of the rocket (you cant attach things below the jet engines anyways)

Stack symmetrical rockets either side of the plane. Go to orbit with the plane in the middle. Drop them both at the same time. Easy!

so I reckon it's the perfect vessel for Laythe exploration

High lift certainly helps. However may find it hard to land with such a wide wingspan. Air intakes hanging down there may also pose a problem. Somethings small is best. Remember the terrain is rough, so it presents all sorts of challenges...

9289990263_e1ff53a932_z.jpg

High lift certainly helps. However may find it hard to land with such a wide wingspan. Air intakes hanging down there may also pose a problem. Somethings small is best. Remember the terrain is rough, so it presents all sorts of challenges...

Useful pointers. It's done OK on flattish areas of Kerbin so far. How's the ice cap on Laythe for landing on?

BTW, how does landing speed generally compare between Kerbin and Laythe? Laythe has less gravity, but a thinner atmosphere, so do they roughly cancel out, or will my Laythe landings be faster/slower?

Expect them to land at very similar speeds between the two, I've not noticed any significant difference. It's best to try and design something that lands as slowly as possible for Laythe, hitting the ground at high speed is not going to go well because the terrain is generally not your friend.

Expect them to land at very similar speeds between the two, I've not noticed any significant difference. It's best to try and design something that lands as slowly as possible for Laythe, hitting the ground at high speed is not going to go well because the terrain is generally not your friend.

That's why I went for the wing area - it lands really rather slowly. Wheels are at all 3 corners, so it's quite stable on touchdown and the brakes can stop it quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.