[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Is it possible to get this integrated with the mod toolbar? Latest releases of Ferram, Alarm Clock and Crew Manifest use it and it looks nice. Would love to have the LS button in there too :)

I second this. The Toolbar has helped clear up what use to be a very cluttered UI.

Finished the work Regex started (with permission of course) and retextured the hexcans and recyclers to match his original work.

http://i.imgur.com/PNamVyB.png

Uploaded it here:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/finishingtheworkregexstartedandretexturedthetaclifesupportparts/

Enjoy all

Can we get this posted on the first post please? I rather stumbled upon it by accident.

Has anyone tested Life support when Kerbals are in the Science Laboratory? Since Kerbals don't appear as currently onboard the vessel do they effectively stop consuming and requiring resources?

EDIT: Yes, they do use resources and will die without them, even though they don't appear at the bottom-right of the screen.

Edited by Rayder

Think I'll throw my attempt at HexCan textures. These are based off regex's inline cans. They are rather clean looking. I may edit them to make the color more apparent, and maybe add a bit of 'noise' to make them look a bit more lived in.

Welp, here they are. Tell me what you think.

In terms of licence, creative commons I guess. Do as you wish! Please give me a mention if you use them in some other work, but you are under no obligation. If you have any suggestions for improvements, let me know and I will see what I can do.

In terms of installing, replace the existing 'Texture.*' with these.

EDIT

well, balls to that. Please do not use these textures, jfjohny5 has me beat. If you ask me for any improvement to mine, I will just point you to his.

Edited by thecoshman
jfjohny5

#timing

I also have some new textures - for HexCans and the Converters. I spent the morning working on these. They're based on the iconography that regex created. In addition to the new HexCan textures, I also re-did the textures for the various resource converters. In doing so, I created new, unique textures for the Water Splitter and the Air Filter. So you'll need to overwrite a couple CFG files to get those to work. And of course, an open license to use these in your game as you will. Enjoy!

Here's the download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22466/TAC_Hex_and_Converter_Textures.zip

And here are the install directions:

1. Copy the content of this archive into your existing TAC install.

2. Overwrite the two updates CFG files. (They're updated to use the new Converter textures)

3. You'll need to go into these same folders in your TAC directories and delete and TGA files of the same name.

EDIT: See this post instead. It's updated.

Finally, here's a shiny pic of the textures in the VAB:

dju2mqN.jpg

Edited by jfjohnny5

Well when you're beat, you're beat. Got to admit, you hands down did a better job than me all round.

It's nice to see that we had the same idea though, but you really did pull it off so much nicer than me.

Haha, no worries man. I spent the morning working on these, then went to post them and was like, "Huh, ain't that the way it always goes?" :)

They're based on the iconography that regex created.

Is regex a module or a person? To me it means "regular expression" and that can't be right....

Is the blue natural-gas flame water? Is the brown flame...waste?

VAB was rather laggy, are those textures the same size as they normally are?

Same dimensions as the original. Plus I saved out as PNG instead of TGA, which actually reduced the file size. Did you make sure to go in and delete the old TGA files after adding my new PNG textures? I could see how trying to load both textures could possibly create issues.

Is the blue natural-gas flame water? Is the brown flame...waste?

Yeah it's 'water' and 'waste water'. I toyed around with changing the symbols, but decided to stick with what regex (the person :) ) had created. Might still change it though. I'll see what Taranis thinks probably. It's his mod after all.

Edited by jfjohnny5

Is regex a module or a person? To me it means "regular expression" and that can't be right....

I'm a PHP coder by trade...

I'm glad you guys are getting some use out of my (bad) textures, there's some great looking stuff here! I also have some retextures of Nertea's radial argon tanks, plus my configs for zzz's boxes, that I will eventually package up and link here, but I've been busy elsewhere.

Well, since you all are getting way ahead of me on texturing, may I make a request? What icon should I use for the Life Support button so that I can add it to the toolbar? I would prefer one that can be green when everything is good, turn yellow when a ship might need attention, and turn red when a ship is in dire straights -- like the numbers in the monitoring window do now. I was thinking of using the food one from above. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think there is an issue with the intake air module, my jet engines flame out at a around 3km altitude

More information please...

Were you using the converter module that turns IntakeAir into Oxygen? Did you try it with and without that part? Were there any errors in the debug window? Which OS are you using: Windows/Mac/Linux? Is it happening with one particular plane or with several? Could you post pictures of your planes?

Did you launch the rocket? It does not do anything until the rocket or plane is launched. That way you can timewarp to your launch window without worrying about the crew.

Sorry i didnt realise that you had to launch the rocket, ill try again and see if it works after launching.

Could you please add a hibernation module and a greenhouse module?

Hibernation module is rather self explanatory, let a kerbal survive of nothing but electricity (to power the module) whilst he is in hibernation. Maybe impose some sort of time delay or limit on the time a guy can be in hibernation perhaps.

What exactly do you propose a greenhouse module would do? There is already a CO2->O2 convertor... would it basically be one of those, but slower and not requiring electricity? It would surely have to also require water, no? I guess maybe it could use some of the waste to sustain itself too, might need to fudge over exactly how that works though.

Ok... I couldn't help myself. I kept thinking about the feedback that the water icon looked like a flame, and I had to adjust it. So as long as I was changing that, I decided to adjust the inline containers to look like the others I had done. Sorry regex, I hope you don't mind me tweaking your work. :rolleyes: You can tell storage apart from converters by the middle band - dark with a color accent for storage. Light for converter.

So once I was done with that I realized that I wasn't super happy with the colors. I mean Kerbals are very green. It stands to reason that might be a result of eating a lot of green food. So I changed the color for the "Food" resource across the board. There are a few other details here and there. Check the back of the inline modules.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22466/TAC_Hex_and_Converter_Textures.zip

In the end it's a simple iconographic style; which I'm a fan of. I hope you like it. And Taranis, provided regex is cool with it, I'm fine with you packaging these textures up as part of the mod if you'd like.

Updated screenshot:

QxYDwrz.jpg

Edited by jfjohnny5

Well, since you all are getting way ahead of me on texturing, may I make a request? What icon should I use for the Life Support button so that I can add it to the toolbar? I would prefer one that can be green when everything is good, turn yellow when a ship might need attention, and turn red when a ship is in dire straights -- like the numbers in the monitoring window do now. I was thinking of using the food one from above. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you want the Fork & Knife with Green, Yellow, and Red backgrounds, just PM me what you need. I can get you the original Photoshop files as well if you'd like.

If you want the Fork & Knife with Green, Yellow, and Red backgrounds, just PM me what you need. I can get you the original Photoshop files as well if you'd like.

I would like that. I was just looking up the size: please make them 24x24. And yes, please include the Photoshop files in case I need to tweak something.

So then I changed the "Life Support" band to be a collection of all three colors, better representing it's purpose.

Got to say, this slight detail is a bit of a turn off for me. It makes the texture a bit too busy for my liking. May I suggest you go for either a very bright white, or something like brown, or maybe purple?

I also feel this might need some more details... regex's had some nice 'connection points' maybe something like that could be added back in?

Also, one thing I did with my HexCan textures was have the symbols on three sides (alternating) just makes it a bit easier to have the symbols aligned so that they are facing out and easy to see.