"Russian" Kerbal Surname?

Fulbert

its easy. Kerbal starts with a K, which is the 11th letter of the English alphabet. the square root of 11 is around 3.3, which rounds to 3, so the first letter is C. and so on. so, the alternate kerbal(s) are the cbda'ac(s)

half life 3 confirmed

That's actually funny, the alternate kerbals.

"Kermov" is pretty cool and, now that you've used it, is probably what I'd use in my own games.

Do you have any other suggestions for a "proper" Russification?

CaptainKorhonen has wrote some good variants.

I can only add "Kermanchuk", which is "kerbalization" of my surname or ukrainization of Kerbal (I'am Russian with Ukraninan surname ;) ).

CaptainKorhonen has wrote some good variants.

I can only add "Kermanchuk", which is "kerbalization" of my surname or ukrainization of Kerbal (I'am Russian with Ukraninan surname ;) ).

Nice, thank you!

"I think it would be Kerbovich. When my Russian family talks about giving our dogs a last name they usually just add -vich to the end of their name. We have one dog named Bruno, so he would be Bruno Brunovich."

Wouldn't that mean Bruno, son of Bruno? Also, I thought -vich / -vna names were middle names (patronyms), rather than last names?

Alhough I do like Bruno Brunovich Brunokov

So very anthropomorphic of us to assume that Kerbal nations would have Earth analogues, let alone be named similarly...

Have you, um... looked at the Kerbin map? One cannot fail to notice the geographic similarities. The main KSP spaceport sure looks like it's in a place shaped like East Africa, for instance.

Kerbal starts with a K, which is the 11th letter of the English alphabet. the square root of 11 is around 3.3, which rounds to 3

Half Life 3 confirmed. But seriously, I use Kermanov for my alternate space program on the same save. The Kermanovs have anything in a polar orbit, and the Kermans have anything in a equatorial orbit.

Have you, um... looked at the Kerbin map? One cannot fail to notice the geographic similarities. The main KSP spaceport sure looks like it's in a place shaped like East Africa, for instance.

Any similarities in what began as a random map distributed with the software package (see other threads) are purely a result of that amazing pattern-matching (and, when given half a chance, creating) machine, the human brain. The same thing that lets us see things in clouds, or groups of stars, or coffee stains, or static on old televisions...

People latch onto that one familiar-looking peninsula and ignore everything else that doesn't fit. Take another look at that map - with the exception of a few islands large and small, it's all one huge sprawling continent. Does that sound like (present day) Earth to you?

If I was setting out to make an Earth-like map for Kerbin, here's what I'd do, at minimum:

One set of continents oriented more or less north-south, with most of their area in those hemispheres, joined by a narrow isthmus. I might or might not have their central spines form a (forward or backward) "S" stretching nearly pole to pole.

A supercontinent that, at closer inspection, is actually made up of a large, east-west oriented continent and another hanging off of one corner with a more north-south direction, broad across some portion and possibly positioned to create one or more decent-sized, semi-sheltered gulfs, seas or bays (Mediterranean, Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean) between them.

An ice-covered continent, at either pole.

A couple of "dwarf continents", one in each hemisphere (Australia, Greenland).

Maybe half-a-dozen groups of large islands (Great Britain, Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia, the Caribbean islands) off the shores of the continents.

Sprinkle much smaller islands liberally through the largest ocean and in small clusters in the others.

Most of that is stuff I'd need to do by hand, rather than (as I strongly suspect happened) just tossing a seed number at a terrain generator and letting it draw me semi-random landmasses.

And even that is extremely vague, and allows for plenty of variation.

Edited by Commander Zoom

Any similarities in what began as a random map distributed with the software package (see other threads) are purely a result of that amazing pattern-matching (and, when given half a chance, creating) machine, the human brain. The same thing that lets us see things in clouds, or groups of stars, or coffee stains, or static on old televisions...

People latch onto that one familiar-looking peninsula and ignore everything else that doesn't fit. Take another look at that map - with the exception of a few islands large and small, it's all one huge sprawling continent. Does that sound like (present day) Earth to you?

If I was setting out to make an Earth-like map for Kerbin, here's what I'd do, at minimum:

One set of continents oriented more or less north-south, with most of their area in those hemispheres, joined by a narrow isthmus. I might or might not have their central spines form a (forward or backward) "S" stretching nearly pole to pole.

A supercontinent that, at closer inspection, is actually made up of a large, east-west oriented continent and another hanging off of one corner with a more north-south direction, broad across some portion and possibly positioned to create one or more decent-sized, semi-sheltered gulfs, seas or bays (Mediterranean, Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean) between them.

An ice-covered continent, at either pole.

A couple of "dwarf continents", one in each hemisphere (Australia, Greenland).

Maybe half-a-dozen groups of large islands (Great Britain, Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia, the Caribbean islands) off the shores of the continents.

Sprinkle much smaller islands liberally through the largest ocean and in small clusters in the others.

Most of that is stuff I'd need to do by hand, rather than (as I strongly suspect happened) just tossing a seed number at a terrain generator and letting it draw me semi-random landmasses.

And even that is extremely vague, and allows for plenty of variation.

That's all well and good, but the Kerban map is ripped from another game. There was a thread about it.

According to Geir Jenssen of Biosphere fame, Patashnik is a "Russian cosmonaut slang for "a traveler" or "a goner", a cosmonaut who didn't return from a space mission because his security cable disengaged and he was lost in space."[1]

I don't like this word, it sounds weird :)

I don't like word, it sound weird for my Russian ear :)

The most strightforward "russification" of "Kerman" is "Kermov" which is pretty close to actually existing surname "Kerimov" which is not actually of russian ethnicity.

Good word, I like it! :D

"I think it would be Kerbovich. When my Russian family talks about giving our dogs a last name they usually just add -vich to the end of their name. We have one dog named Bruno, so he would be Bruno Brunovich."

Wouldn't that mean Bruno, son of Bruno? Also, I thought -vich / -vna names were middle names (patronyms), rather than last names?

Alhough I do like Bruno Brunovich Brunokov

Yes, they are patronymics.

There are three common ways to call someone with full name Dmitriy Alexeevich Kovalyov:

- familiar by first name (usually short variant of it): Dmitriy or Dima

- regardful by first name and patronimic: Dmitriy Alexeevich

- official by surname: óþÑÂÿþôøý/óрðöôðýøý/тþòðрøщ (mister/citizen/comrade) Kovalyov

Though people are mentioned usually with their name and surname: Dmitriy Kovalyov

Edited by koshelenkovv

Ok, forgetting the fact that we know the Devs didn't make the Kerbin map, we'll just take for a moment the idea that KSP is in East Africa...

Why would you assume a naming system native to Europe? Around half the humans on Earth use FamilyName GivenName, many cultures use GivenName Father'sGivenName, Some use GivenName Mother'sGivenName. Some just use FamilyName without a given name.

Even the area of planet Earth that looks simular to the location of KSP uses FamilyName GivenName so why would you look at kerbal names and assume they are the European convention?

In Burundi and Rwanda, most, if not all surnames have God in it, for example Hakizimana (meaning God cures), Nshimirimana (I thank God) or Havyarimana/Habyarimana (God gives birth). But not all surnames end with the suffix -imana. Irakoze is one of these (technically meaning Thank God, though it is hard to translate it correctly in English or probably any other language). Surnames are often different among immediate family members, as parents frequently choose unique surnames for each child, and women keep their maiden names when married. Surnames are placed before given names and frequently written in capital letters, e.g. HAKIZIMANA Jacques.

I think Kerman is a way of addressing astronauts. Now, if we were to deconstruct the english-translated word Kerman, it would likely be "Kerbin man" (or Kerbin human), which doesn't really match with astronaut, but it could be a term to say "Man from Kerbin" which may also imply that they left Kerbin, in the sense that they are from a place that they were at previously. Their grammar may be different and hold different meanings that our rough English interpretations don't convey, so it's fair game to say that Kerman is a title for astronauts.

Now, in the case of the Tutorial's Gene Kerman, he would be the analogue of Gene Cernan. Apart from working at mission control, Cernan also travelled to space. Werner von Kerman however, is an issue, but one resolve would be to use the It's hardly Rocket Science name for him, Lernher von Grün. Or maybe, in this universe, Werner von Kerman actually fulfilled his dream of going to space, or even the moon. Who knows.

Under this rule for astronauts however, a title for the russian-analogue of astronauts could be devised. Since Astronaut is considered to be a general english-speaking term, and since Kerbin presumably would be the same in both languages (there is no kerbal-russian language as of yet), man would become the russian counterpart, чõûþòõú (chelovek, which is the term for man, that refers to humans in general). So Kerchelovek would be the proper title, but it could be shortened to Kerchel as well, since chel still denotes people.

Hopefully this all makes sense. If somebody speaks Russian, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a pretty sound argument.

All words in Russian beginning with 'ker' are naturalized foreign words.

Slavic languages differ too much from Romanic ones to retain similar sounding. Or you translate 'Kerman' fully and retain meaning (if you know it in first place!) but lose 'ker', or you invent weird neologism.

----------

Hmm, seems there may be similar sounding Russian word.

If we assume that 'Kerman' means 'earthling' or 'Earthman', but with Kerbin instead of Earth, then close Russian word will be 'Kerbalyanin' (úõрñðÃȄÂýøý) (with stress on 'ya' and plural 'Kerbalyane')

It analogous to 'Zemlyanin' (÷õüÃȄÂýøý) or 'Marsianin' (Martian) and sounds properly.

Edited by koshelenkovv

Why would you assume a naming system native to Europe?

Because the Kerbals in the game tend to have first names like Bill and Bob and Jeb... so I'm pretty sure those aren't Kerbal surnames. And the name "Wernher von Kerman" pretty much proves that. And you can be sure that Kerman isn't everyone's given name, unless the KSA has a serious hiring bias...

So, given that there's at least one canonical Kerbal with an undeniably European name convention, I think that answers your question and supports my point nicely enough. :P

Is there a way to change the surname given to Kerbals within the program? Any way to access the naming algorithm or the syllables it uses? It would be awesome to rename Jeb to something like Sergei...

Because the Kerbals in the game tend to have first names like Bill and Bob and Jeb... so I'm pretty sure those aren't Kerbal surnames. And the name "Wernher von Kerman" pretty much proves that. And you can be sure that Kerman isn't everyone's given name, unless the KSA has a serious hiring bias...

So, given that there's at least one canonical Kerbal with an undeniably European name convention, I think that answers your question and supports my point nicely enough. :P

If Kerman is a given name then KSA has a serious hiring bias, but if Kerman is a surname then KSA still has a serious hiring bias. Either way it doesn't work. So my suggestion is that Kerman isn't a name at all rather a title, assuming that it is a name is european bias. Jeb Kerman could be the same as Jeb-san or Mr. Jeb That still doesn't interfere with Wernher von Kerman, he simply has a 2 part name being from a different culture than Jeb and Bill and Bob, but has the same form of address.

Fair enough. Like I said, to each his own, there's no right or wrong answer and your points are good. With the Crew Manifest plugin you could give Kerbals different names that don't have "Kerman" after them at all - and thus have some Kerbalized "Russian" sounding names. That's what the OP was after in the first place, and I think it can add some depth and immersion, not to mention fun, to the experience.

As for the bias of so many Kerbonauts having "Kerman" as a surname - maybe there's a lot of nepotism going on in the space agency. Or maybe it's just the family profession! For all we know, Gene is father to Bill, Bob and Jeb - which is why they wanted to go into space, to be like Dad. As we've seen here, imagination allows each of us a way to easily explain our game worlds as we see them.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Yes, they are patronymics.

There are three common ways to call someone with full name Dmitriy Alexeevich Kovalyov:

- familiar by first name (usually short variant of it): Dmitriy or Dima

- regardful by first name and patronimic: Dmitriy Alexeevich

- official by surname: óþÑÂÿþôøý/óрðöôðýøý/тþòðрøщ (mister/citizen/comrade) Kovalyov

Though people are mentioned usually with their name and surname: Dmitriy Kovalyov

Yeah, I spent a little time researching Russian names for a short story I wrote. It confused me at first when I read Gorbachev's memoirs that he refers to his wife as àðøÌÂÑÂð ÃœðúÑÂøÌÂüþòý rather than just by her first name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.