[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

If I may add my 2 cents to the stall horn request...

Although stall modeling is FAR specific, it is a function of angle of attack. A user configurable aoa light/buzzer that goes off after exceeding a certain AOA, similar to the rad-alt light should serve this function.

I´d also like to request an EAS/IAS gauge, it is quite a handy bit of info to get a feel for how effective your control surfaces are at a particular altitude or atmosphere. Been trying for a while to code my own display, with no sucess.

Version 1.1 is now available! Up on spaceport and the alternate download link in the first post.

Version 1.1 Highlights:

New Gauge! The Maneuver Node Gauge is now here, so you can make all your burns in style. It features at Delta V readout, time to burn, burn time, %dV remaining, and %Throttle as well.

The GUI windows should resize a bit better, as well as look just a touch nicer.

The larger, square bezels can now be toggled from the main window for a more compact look.

Version 1.1 is now available! Up on spaceport and the alternate download link in the first post.

Version 1.1 Highlights:

New Gauge! The Maneuver Node Gauge is now here, so you can make all your burns in style. It features at Delta V readout, time to burn, burn time, %dV remaining, and %Throttle as well.

The GUI windows should resize a bit better, as well as look just a touch nicer.

The larger, square bezels can now be toggled from the main window for a more compact look.

Yes! I will love you forever in a non creepy way.

Analog gauges!!!!

Old School Apollo style mission coming up!!!!

Wish I had noticed these before I did an anniversary moon landing.....

Ah, the magic of being 10 years old, holding my Official Command Module and LEM models as I watched it live on a 20" B/W television. Ah Kraken, I feel so old.....:)

Something to pass the time until .21

BUG REPORT

Issue: Screen is not cluttered enough.

Solution: Need another window. Should be an old school magnifying glass, showing a zoom in on the Nav ball.

If you're still interested in ideas for displays. I've an idea for a "fun" one.

Apollo style FDAI (English: navball). I.e. you have a navball - but it doesn't display prograde/retrograde vectors or manoeuvre nodes, just orientation. With a "proper" set of flight director bars above it; i.e. when rolled, pitched, or yawed in the right direction for the manoeuvre node the bars are centred, when you aren't, they aren't. My description is bad so have a Wikipedia link to its article on flight directors.

The only other way to make it distinct from the navball is to have it have multiple modes of navball orientation:

1. Stellar Orientation - Navball orientation is always fixed with position to the various stars in the universe (ignoring the lack of actual stars); which means the zero reference is what you find on the pad at KSC and never changes no matter where you are in the universe.
  2. ORDEAL Orientation - The name is actually referring to a system which rotated the Apollo's FDAI navball at orbital rate; basically this mode equals how the navball normally works (down is always pointing towards the gravitational centre of the body being orbited).
  3. Manoeuvre Orientation - The zero reference (zero heading, zero inclination) is your manoeuvre node; if you're not pointing at that, you're not pointing at your manoeuvre node.

You'd probably want to find better names for all of the modes though.

A much better description of the Apollo FDAI (also explaining the rate indicators which I glossed over) can be found at the article on the FDAI on the NASSP Add-On wiki for Orbiter. Right here.

Cheers, and I absolutely LOVE the gauges.

Sorry for the delay, but I was out of continent the last few days. The 0.21 compatible version of SteamGauges is now available from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/steamgauges/. No real changes, just recompiled with the new DLLs. Please let me know if you experience any other 0.21 related issues so I can track them down.

i dont suppose there is any way to use these as IVA guages? probably just scews everything up with the models but the idea sounds cool.

Sorry for the delay, but I was out of continent the last few days. The 0.21 compatible version of SteamGauges is now available from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/steamgauges/. No real changes, just recompiled with the new DLLs. Please let me know if you experience any other 0.21 related issues so I can track them down.

Ohhh thankyouthankyou!!

I have become very addicted to these gauges since you released them.

i dont suppose there is any way to use these as IVA guages? probably just scews everything up with the models but the idea sounds cool.

The are just windows that you can drag around the screen. They work just find in any flight mode, including IVA.

@Creideiki:

I've recently been playing around with some NavBall stuff, but can't promise anything yet.

Thank you very much man, your source files are immensely helpful; detailed, and explaining much. I'm trying to develop a simple thing, but no documentation or whatsoever was killing me, just been a waste of time so far. Now I can, with your exemplary source file help, I can do my own thing :)

Great plugin! It is so useful for landing Mun landers. I just seem to have a problem where the gauges menu keeps popping up whenever I switch vessels. It is not catastrophic, but it is a minor annoyance. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?