Hos to explore jool system with multiple probes

I have launched a ship towards Jool with six probes attached. My plan is to detach them one at a time, and bring them to orbit each of the moons. They are rather small, with a single ion engine. My question is, how do I most effectively carry out this plan? I suppose the best approach is to start with the outer moons and work my way in? I need to make sure that the ion engine can brake the probe sufficiently to enter orbit around the destination. Then perhaps gradually over time adjust the orbit with multiple maneuvers.

One concern is that I might end up having to perform multiple burns at once, if two burn events coincide. However, it will cost fuel for my main ship if I have to park it in orbit, place the probe, then intercept the next moon. Would prefer if the main ship could just drop the probe at speed and then just adjust course to the next moon.

My other concern is that the main ship will become unstable if the probes are detached in a asymmetrical pattern. Unless I always detach two at a time that cant be helped. I guess reduced thrust could help me compensate.

Any advice? Anyone else done something similar with tips to share? :-)

Has the main ship made it into a Jool parking orbit yet? Otherwise, I have a crazy idea. Detatch all of the probes in transit and tweak their approach so that they enter the system with enough time inbetween each probe, then aerobreak them at Jool for apoapsis matching the orbits of the moons you want to get to.

With time between arrival for each probe you can aerobreak and adjust the orbit before moving onto the next probe. And you don't even have to do perfect orbits straight off, just aerobreak and then raise your periapsis out of Jool's atmosphere. You can adjust for encounters and capture after all probes have entered the system and are in their respective orbits around Jool.

You can use this calculator to help with your aerobreaking.

I agree with Skorpychan. If the probes have ion engines, they'll have more than enough dV to make it to any moon.

But not necessarily enough acceleration to circularize with the smaller ones (depends on your probes--can't say for sure). Laythe is trivial, and Tylo and Vall should be easy as well, but after several embarrassing goes at Gilly, the value of having respectable acceleration really got hammered in. While Pol and Bop are a good bit larger than Gilly, you probably want to plan carefully.

I executed almost this exact mission recently.

My advice is not to aerobreak into a circular orbit.

When you slow your vessel down, leave the craft in an elliptical orbit with an apoapsis past Laythe, this will mean you can detach your probes and give them a decent apoapsis to accelerate into a circular orbit with (if you need to), or a deep periapsis where you can oberth (burn) into better positions with less fuel.

With the way the moons orbit, eventually you'll have a good spot along the ellipsis to create a transfer burn that won't be too agonizing.

Also!

Remember to dance your fuel around, depending on how you built your craft.

I took four probes and a lander out to meet a fuel mission I had sent ahead, worked like a charm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.