Houston, we have a problem!

-RanZ-

This is the actual transcription of the Apollo 10 flightcrew communications as recorded on the command module (CM). This particular section describes a moment when the crew have to deal with an unexpected intruder...

The Apollo 10 mission was flown May 18th to May 26th 1969.

CDR - Commander Thomas P. Stafford

CMP - Command module pilot John W. Young

LMP - Lunar module pilot Eugene A. Cernan

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/1002994_631488616872153_1800250012_n.jpg

1002994_631488616872153_1800250012_n.jpg

You can read the whole de-classified transcript here: http://1.usa.gov/195QZfe

ya, figured mods would move it there eventually. I only read general and challenges typically and I am guessing that is the way lots of people are so figured I would start here.

That's a shame. You really should explore more of the forums.

Edit: By the way, can you post the other mission transcripts? Or post a site that has them all? To be completely honest I'm a bit too lazy to search right now.

Edited by AustralianFries

This happened because back then they didn't have a space toilet. They had to literally do their business into a plastic bag, after which they added an enzyme powder to stabilize it and eliminate gas, knead it to mix in the powder, then store it away so some scientist with a really strong stomach back on the ground could do studies on it.

Why is this confidential?

Everything was initially confidential, the same way that your reply from work to your wife's question over email about what to have for dinner is auto-stamped with "The contents of this message are confidential and are intended solely for the recipient(s)..."

You know, just in case we found little bugs on the moon or something...

Wait so are the lines of text that just have the three dots ("...") the classified or confidential stuff? Or are those just parts where the mic was activated but no voice came through.

That's where voice comms cut out. They were quite twitchy back then, having to rely solely on ground-based radio dishes to transmit and receive.

The shuttles later had the advantage of the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS) system, which relayed communications around the globe from orbit.

This happened because back then they didn't have a space toilet. They had to literally do their business into a plastic bag, after which they added an enzyme powder to stabilize it and eliminate gas, knead it to mix in the powder, then store it away so some scientist with a really strong stomach back on the ground could do studies on it.

We still use these, we used them in Iraq on long patrols.

There's also the interesting bit where astronauts going to the moon remarked about seeing little flashes or streaks of light every few minutes when they were trying to sleep.

Turns out they were actually seeing cosmic rays literally hitting their eyes.

http://www.universetoday.com/94714/seeing-cosmic-rays-in-space/

That's a shame. You really should explore more of the forums.

Edit: By the way, can you post the other mission transcripts? Or post a site that has them all? To be completely honest I'm a bit too lazy to search right now.

I only found that one - http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/mission_trans/AS10_CM.PDF

There probably are more here -http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/oral_histories/whats_new.htm

There's also the interesting bit where astronauts going to the moon remarked about seeing little flashes or streaks of light every few minutes when they were trying to sleep.

Turns out they were actually seeing cosmic rays literally hitting their eyes.

http://www.universetoday.com/94714/seeing-cosmic-rays-in-space/

It's actually more interesting that that. Because the speed of light is slower inside you eye than in the air in the spaceship, the flashes were "luminal booms" similar to sonic booms, but with light.

It's actually more interesting that that. Because the speed of light is slower inside you eye than in the air in the spaceship, the flashes were "luminal booms" similar to sonic booms, but with light.

Shhh!! Not too loud! If word of this gets out, somebody at ScyFy is going to get inspired for yet another "ScyFy Original" movie. Now I've got that head exploding scene from Scanners in my head. D:

Apollo Flight Journals are here, with full transcripts, audio, photos, video, mission documents, etc:

http://history.nasa.gov/afj/

Likewise, the Lunar Surface Journals are here:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/frame.html

On Apollo 8, Frank Borman (the commander of that mission) had a bout of vomiting and diarrhea brought about by either motion sickness or a 24 hour bug. The astronauts had to collect little bits of vomit and feces that were floating around the cabin using paper towels. They didn't report the problem to mission control over the public channel. (They tape recorded it and sent it with a telemetry data dump.) Mission control called back to talk about it the next day; you can read the transcript here, starting at 29:47 GET:

https://history.nasa.gov/ap08fj/06day2_green.htm

The speed of light is a constant, I think you mean the frequency of the light was lengthened (red-shifted).

The speed of light is a constant, I think you mean the frequency of the light was lengthened (red-shifted).

Speed of light in a vacuum is a constant. Light slows down in materials, which is why refraction occurs.

Actually, I was going to say something along those lines, though cosmic rays aren't really rays of light. In fact it's most likely they weren't actually seeing visible light at any point, but their optic nerves were interpreting cosmic ray collisions as sparkles and traces. Think of a time when you hit your head really hard. You "see stars", but you aren't really seeing little flashes of light; you're experiencing the after-effects of direct stimulation of the optic nerves.

Actually, I was going to say something along those lines, though cosmic rays aren't really rays of light. In fact it's most likely they weren't actually seeing visible light at any point, but their optic nerves were interpreting cosmic ray collisions as sparkles and traces. Think of a time when you hit your head really hard. You "see stars", but you aren't really seeing little flashes of light; you're experiencing the after-effects of direct stimulation of the optic nerves.

The mechanism is not entirely known, though cosmic rays are the primary culprit. One theory is that the flashes (which were seen about every 3 minutes by the astronauts) were caused by Cherenkov radiation released when the cosmic ray photon passed through the gel in the astronauts eyes. The original comment that described this as something like sonic booms of light was a fairly apt description.

Everything was initially confidential, the same way that your reply from work to your wife's question over email about what to have for dinner is auto-stamped with "The contents of this message are confidential and are intended solely for the recipient(s)..."

You know, just in case we found little bugs on the moon or something...

Also because they were in a space race with the Soviets and didn't want any information leaked out that could benefit the other side. Not even how to handle faeces in microgravity.

Also because they were in a space race with the Soviets and didn't want any information leaked out that could benefit the other side. Not even how to handle faeces in microgravity.

They also wanted to hide things like guidance accuracy - especially since the GNC computer was based on the one used by the Polaris A2 SLBM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.