What do you guys think of the Mun's new surface?

bigdad84

Yeah, I think lowering the density and adding another layer or two would do a lot of good. I'm not too keen on the bottom of every crater being dark, either. Unless they're very young(in which case they'd have bright white streams) or huge(in which case they'd be filled with dark lava), they're usually the same color as the surrounding regolith.

My mapping probes are eagerly awaiting the new munar surface. Oh! And just think of all the new mun rover fun we get to have ramping up and down all those craters. It will be one big off road (Off world off road?) extravaganza!

I pretty much entirely agree with what Nova said. Though it's indisputably an improvement. Also from what I've been seeing in the stream, the pictures that Harv posted look a bit outdated, or maybe I've just been seeing different angles and lighting? It does look really great both from orbit and on the surface from what I'm seeing though.

Well, seems you Truely can't please everyone, there have been people who were calling for more craters, they never said they had to be different sizes. This is what we got and honestly this is much much better than the huge craters and then nothing else of interest.

Only a fool would try to please everyone, but this is definitely a collective step up. Personally, the unfiform appearance and lack of otherwise dominant craters makes it appear a bit odd, but the new terrain looks very promising for smashing even more stuff against the overly hilly surface.

Its a definite step in the right direction. Not perfect, (though we cannot expect perfection) but much much better than the Mun we have now.

So I welcome it and cant wait to land on it. Hopefully the anomalies are preserved.

Hope Minimus gets updated cause that is my favorite and most visited celestial body.

IiiEVLC.jpgmoon.jpg

How is it overkill? Its realistic!!! a lot of effort went into making that work and you are just shoving it in harvesters face and anybody else who put work into it

Edited by Robbii6

It looks.....odd. The size of the craters is too uniform, with mainly two sizes.

But mostly it looks weird because there are craters all over the maria (the dark, flat areas). In our solar system, the maria formed later, after the initial heavy bombardments that cleared most of the debris out of the solar system after the planets formed. Maria should have relatively few craters.

Why is it when someone posts about the maria problem I hear this song...

And when somebody uses the singular 'mare' do you think of female horses?

Nah... It's just the link of "Problem" and "Maria" that triggers that song in my head. Annoying as hell. Not your fault though... was my Dad's for playing it a lot on his cassette player way back when.

Way overdone...and not a fan of the uniformly spaced craters.

The smaller craters could vary in size and distance a bit more, but I'm not sure I agree with it being overdone. It looks way more realistic, and will make the surface more interesting to explore. I am, personally, a big fan of this terrain update.

Put it along side a picture of the real moon and you'll notice the crater sizes and distance between them are fairly similar.

I like what they've done here. It'll make it a more interesting place to go.

...I'm not too keen on the bottom of every crater being dark, either...

I hadn't even noticed that at first, but when I was rewatching the "0.21 preview" videos from the media group, this really does stand out as another thing that makes these craters look weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.