[Stock and Mod] Altaria III Carrier Plane + Airlaunch Vehicles

Hello everyone!

My latest area of interest has been launching things from planes. Everything from airdrop probes to other small aircraft. A large majority of these have been on stock aircraft or heavily modded aircraft.

Today, Arctic Aerospace has set out to create a (mostly) stock, twin fuselage carrier aircraft for future missions. Previous attempts proved that multiple fuselages were very stable and flew well, so this was the next natural step.

The result of this program is the Altaria III multi-role mothership.

TXY5r2b.jpg

Specifications:

Crew: 1-2

Engines: 3 Turbojet

Fuel Capacity: 1350 Liquid Fuel

Mass: 29.08 tons

Maximum Thrust: 675kN

tpoGUms.jpg

The aircraft features a unique twin fuselage with over wing engine pod design for maximum space efficiency and aerodynamics.

BdblrHG.jpg

Pictured below the mothership is the Salamence probe with its launch system. The airlaunched probe is attached to a high thrust/weight ratio staged booster system consisting of twin, in-line RT-10 Solid Rocket Boosters. The system can reach a staggering 2000m/s with a TWR of 5.68 and fuel capacity of 566 Solid Fuel.

loCxGhd.jpg

The aircraft can lift off in a relatively short distance and fly at a steep angle to the target launch altitude of around 10,000m.

NPReyo4.jpg

Once at this altitude, the rocket is dropped from the mothership and the SRBs are fired.

vTLujws.png

After burning through one engine, it is dropped away and the second engine fires, propelling the lightweight system to nearly mach 6.0.

Er0dcGk.jpg

PYlfKbN.png

jGg9kN2.png

After burning through the second stage, the probe can be jettisoned and circularize the orbit. All debris returns to Kerbin.

biyI5cW.jpg

Orbits of up to 500,000m have been registered with this system, still in development.

Mods: (See the readme for more detail.)

Procedural Fairings are required for all files except the STOCK and the Plane ONLY. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/procedural-fairings/

Vanguard's EVA Parachutes are required for the EVAC iteration. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/vanguard-technologies-eva-parachutes/

MechJeb is not included, but it is useful (on the plane only, not the rocket!)

Included files:

Read Me (Seriously - read it. :wink: )

Altaria III (Full System)

Altaria III STOCK (Stock Version)

Altaria III EVAC (Ejection Seat Version)

Altaria III Plane ONLY (Just the plane)

Salamence II - "Best" (Ground launched Salamence II testbed)

DOWNLOAD: http://www./download/wshzh1k1gw42dnm/Arctic_-_Altaria_III.zip

I hope you enjoy! Feel free to use it in your own missions - just credit me. :D

Don't hesitate to ask me anything if you need help!

PS: I'd also love to see screenshots of what you guys can do with it. :sticktongue:

PSS: Expect more soon. :wink:

Introducing the newest application of Arctic Aerospace's popular Altaria III twin fuselage carrier plane - the Altaria III KRU (Kerbal Rescue Unit).

screenshot136.png

screenshot137.png

Due to the highly experimental nature of this variant, .craft is only available by request.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.