What's the first thing you did with the new patch?

Whackjob

Me, I lost my old Arkingthaad Colony lander I was constructing in orbit. So, I thought about trying to build it from scratch, only this time all in one piece. Just for the heck of it. :P

So how are you enjoying the new patch? Share your pictures and videos!

I have to get up early tomorrow, so not much. Some salivating over new buildings. Admiring Hitchhiker's IVA (HELL YEAH!). I took couple of stock planes and that rocket VTOL for a spin - and almost managed to kill Jeb twice in 5 minutes LOL. Tomorrow? Destination: Mun! :D

Backed up all my ships, deleted my saves, updated, took the Ravenspear Mk4 for a spin to check out the new ASAS, checked out the new parts, scenes, and buildings. I'm home sick right now and taking care of my kid so I'm not going to do much more for another day or two, but it looks pretty nice so far.

First thing I did was load up my Munar Kethane Miner. Still was present and could drive around, but couldn't go back to the space center. Hm. I also crashed it for funsies going off a ramp, and crashes are now killing my computer - like two frames a second for the duration of the entire crash - when they weren't before. Hmm.

Since I couldn't go back to the space center, I exited the game, came back in, and loaded up my old spaceplane design in the spaceplane hangar. Right away I noticed that things seemed more optimized and smoother frame-rate wise. The plane was more fragile than before, though, and shook apart rolling off the runway a few times before I got it into the air. It's a two-stage spaceplane, with the bottom 'delivery' plane detaching in high kerbin atmo to return to the surface while the 'plane' goes to burn into orbit. Unfortunately, when I separated the craft, the camera started to pan back to try and keep both ships in view, which wasn't what I wanted. When I tried to switch to the plane individually, I was able to select the delivery plane, but when I toggled back to the actual spaceplane that was supposed to get into orbit, it had become invisible. Hmmm. :\

Ditching that, I decided to go try out the new VAB, and loaded one of my newer designs. This one didn't even make it to the launch pad. It loaded into the VAB, and then the game refused to let me pan the camera around the craft at all or interact with it in any way. Had to close and restart the game. Hmmmm. :(

I decided to build a new rocket just for funsies, avoiding mod parts, thinking that was perhaps the issue. While placing engines radially, the game refused to let me place the copies, even though the engines were green. This isn't terribly unusual, so I switched to do them individually. Except when I did it this time, the game started dumping extra engines down below the craft, unattached to anything. It didn't harm the rocket, but it WAS very weird. Then I tried to place wings on it, which worked, but I wasn't happy with the positioning, so I went back to adjust them. Clicked to place, and the whole game crashed.

So I guess I've done a whole lot of not-very-much.

Tried to build a full stock muun rocket lander without mod to prevent me to overheat everything, killed Bill.

Tried to build a full stock muun rocket lander without mod to tell me how much delta-v i have and need, killed Bob.

Tried to build a full stock muun rocket lander without mod to help me land, killed Jeb.

Oh well.

Operation SW20UASHMIUA21C for me too, i guess.

First thing I did after checking out all the new parts was see if the new SAS was smart enough to account for engine gimble when the engines are placed in front of the center of gravity.

nop. :(

CBmWFoW.png

About to take the Arkingthaad out on a little stroll to Duna. This sucker packs the biggest lander I've ever made. The lander itself has four rockets built into it that can separate and send four kerbals at a time back up into orbit. It has 4 recovery rovers and 4 two-seater rovers and will haul 12 Kerbals to Duna. The transplanetary stage will function as a space station around Duna and it is what the lander escape rockets will dock to when I'm ready to send my Kerbals home. It currently amasses one thousand eight hundred and forty one parts, subject to any more changes.

Needless to say, it's a slideshow flying that thing until I dump the booster stages, and even then it's choppy. But totally worth it.

first thing I did was flying to the little plane hangar on the isle to check if the pod and engines is still there...

SPOILER: they are

cg2q80woy2ditrbf1.jpg

then, jeb realized that he forgot the ladder and can't get back into his plane

cg2q9iktaqrwsr0jx.jpg

so the second thing I did was sending my first rescue mission...

cg2qa64faj94mp11p.jpg

god, I LOVE the new SAS!

sent up my first bunch or probes into lko, using the new probe sized parts; one man *orbital* turned suborbital flight for funsies and finally; had a true attempt at flying a spaceplane successfully into lko, and landing back at ksc runway :) now to design my own spaceplanes now that i can actually fly them with new sas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.