I need help in making this "boat" float and move quickly through the water

Hey. All the craziness of this update, I've been sticking with 0.20 to do Mission "Vacation on Laythe" (a personal mission). One of the sub-missions is to make high speed boats that, well, will do their job.

I understand that this is supposed to be a space simulator, and water physics aren't what they should be, but.. we all bend the rules occasionally. I mean, look at what Hooligan Labs is doing with their airships.

Disclaimer: I use cheats, so fuel isn't a problem for me. :P

So I made this thing. It's a highly modified version of my Speed Rover:

zvy0rm.jpg

34o4izd.jpg

I want this thing to, well, "fly" over the water at high speed, like a speed boat.

The problems I'm having, it likes to veer left constantly, even with ASAS on. Also the front sinks down as you can imagine from the air-breathing engines.

I had the two side engines to the sides of the main engine before, but the problem is, I also need this thing to be mobile out of water, as part of my.. "mission", which is a on-shore sphere launchpad that can spawn this (would serve as a boat launcher). This is why it has the rover wheels, to get it into the water.

And the sphere is a Medium sphere, so I also need to keep what goes down the ramp, as compact as possible.

It has modified Stock parts with 99999 in 'crashTollerance' to keep the engines and other pieces from breaking due to "splashed down hard and was destroyed". I also tweaked the weight of the engines to be weigh less so the CoM wouldn't be shifted to the back. Each weighs 0.5t.

So, any idea to make this work? I'm up for suggestions, as long as you understand my intentions for this. I had thought of putting an inflatable balloon on the top to keep the entire thing straight, but I think that would cut the speed drastically (and make it wobble because of the balloon).

That design is probably never going to work. Even if you did get it up to 20 or 30 m/s you'd find that all the little pieces like the wheels and lights (and engines, they seem to be especially vulnerable) would come off. The most successful stock boats (as opposed to boat pack boats) I've seen or made use wing pieces to hold the body of the craft up out of the water, like a hydroplane. You can put landing gear on the bottom of the wings if you are dead set on having it negotiate land as those parts don't count in the physics simulation and therefore won't drag you down in the water.

It also looks like you've got about 200% more engine on that thing than you need, and 100% more intake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.