[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Wow, awesome!

If the video poster reads this, here are some tips to help you:

First, those panels need some tweaks, their ejection force is low. Its not your fault.

If you need more control as you get higher in the atmosphere, you\'ll need some RCS (some on top, some on the bottom) or one of the engines that has a gimbal range, as it will let you steer a little bit. You can even use the little vernier pods from the control menu to side attach some steering and stabilization thrusters. Also be sure to note the difference between SAS and ASAS modules, the normal SAS modules only apply force to stop rotation, while an ASAS is a flight computer that uses OTHER control parts (flaps, RCS thrusters, and gimballed engines) to control the rocket and hold the heading you were on when you hit the SAS key.

And by the way, all of those structure parts have fuel flow turned on, unless the description text specifically says otherwise.

I\'m pretty sure Kurt reads all of his comments that he gets, at least the ones from the first few hours. So if he does, he\'ll see your comments. But they won\'t show up in a video of his KSP Let\'s Play unless he does an annotation or a note in the description or something like Snarky Yellow Text, until he\'s posted all of this recording set, and I\'m estimating, knowing Kurt, 3 more episodes around this length before we are done with this recording set.

Wow, awesome!

If the video poster reads this, here are some tips to help you:

First, those panels need some tweaks, their ejection force is low. Its not your fault.

If you need more control as you get higher in the atmosphere, you\'ll need some RCS (some on top, some on the bottom) or one of the engines that has a gimbal range, as it will let you steer a little bit. You can even use the little vernier pods from the control menu to side attach some steering and stabilization thrusters. Also be sure to note the difference between SAS and ASAS modules, the normal SAS modules only apply force to stop rotation, while an ASAS is a flight computer that uses OTHER control parts (flaps, RCS thrusters, and gimballed engines) to control the rocket and hold the heading you were on when you hit the SAS key.

And by the way, all of those structure parts have fuel flow turned on, unless the description text specifically says otherwise.

Hey thanks! I haven\'t tried many KSP mods yet, but this one is, so far, the easiest one to get a bunch of new parts all at once without much fussing about. Thanks for the tips as well! I hastily threw this rocket together without getting to know the parts too well, so hopefully my next effort is a little more calculated. I\'ll definitely have a few more upcoming videos in the series using your parts pack! :D

Also, that lander you\'re working on looks amazing! Great work! INDEED!

Guest Flixxbeatz

Hey thanks! I haven\'t tried many KSP mods yet, but this one is, so far, the easiest one to get a bunch of new parts all at once without much fussing about. Thanks for the tips as well! I hastily threw this rocket together without getting to know the parts too well, so hopefully my next effort is a little more calculated. I\'ll definitely have a few more upcoming videos in the series using your parts pack! :D

Welcome to the forums, Kurt! :D

Well darn...

Ninja\'d =P

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Welcome to the forums (we do this to everyone who has there account saying 1 post).

Also, some of the mod parts have the origin point not completely in the centre, which is where the game goes from. Another thing that needs to be fixed (noted by the original developer of a pack in this pack). Other than that, they should work well.

Excellent, feel free to bug me if you run into any problems.

I\'ll try to whip up a craft file in the morning with a launcher like that (been meaning to distribute some examples in the zip file actually) and you can attach yours to your post too, of course.

I feel like I\'ve made a bad impression, I still think my old SIDR parts were really bad! ;P

Your parts were awesome. I downloaded them first, not because they were shiney and new, but because they were useful and balanced. They made me feel like I could put some part on and not feel like I was cheating. Not trying to diss C7, Tiberion, Sunday, and all the other modders out there, your parts were good, too. But SE and SIDR were parts I could trust to work, and not break my rocket. Also, I started playing in january, so your parts were really \'outdated\', but they did their job.

Played around a bit this morning, made a couple of ships.

First one is my take on the rocket in kurt\'s video. It\'s not 'the' right way to do it or anything, there are lots of combinations. You should get into a circular parking orbit @ 100k or so on stage 2 and have a little fuel to start the burn to geostationary orbit

The NovaPunch X

LcoEt.jpg

2nd one is a heavy lifter version, with a 3 piece satellite payload.

The NovaPunch Heavy

b0WlO.jpg

craft files attached

Excellent :)

That was an exceptionally steep re-entry, it would have definitely burned up when it hit the atmosphere, if that were added to the game yet. I am curious how many Gs he hit when they decelerated. :D

Any idea how often or how far ahead he makes these? The new lander is pretty close to ready, now.

Excellent :)

That was an exceptionally steep re-entry, it would have definitely burned up when it hit the atmosphere, if that were added to the game yet. I am curious how many Gs he hit when they decelerated. :D

Any idea how often or how far ahead he makes these? The new lander is pretty close to ready, now.

Yeah, the rocket re-entry was a bit steep, because it was an expendable rocket I didn\'t feel the need for a soft splash down! I am looking forward to when they finally add atmospheric drag and heat during reentry. Also, I will be terrified. :)

I haven\'t recorded any further episodes yet, but the next series I was planning my first attempt at landing on and safe return from the Mun. I was planning on doing it with the current parts, but will keep an eye on this space to see if your lander is ready before I try.

Yeah, the rocket re-entry was a bit steep, because it was an expendable rocket I didn\'t feel the need for a soft splash down! I am looking forward to when they finally add atmospheric drag and heat during reentry. Also, I will be terrified. :)

I haven\'t recorded any further episodes yet, but the next series I was planning my first attempt at landing on and safe return from the Mun. I was planning on doing it with the current parts, but will keep an eye on this space to see if your lander is ready before I try.

I would recommend using a multi-stage lander - that way, even if you use up all your descent fuel you still have a way to get home - and abort if you run out early.

Roger that, Kurt.

Was playing around a bit with some new texture images, and decided to test some stuff on something I dug up:

hgU9B.png

Dunno who might recognize this still (aside from Nova) but this is the original SIDR pod, from 1.0 and lower, which was replaced by the most excellent current bootleg pod. I\'ve been cleaning it up a bit (it was a weird size)

Dunno if I\'ll add it, but it might be worth adding with a bit more tweaking (need to re-add some metalwork detail I wiped off)

Is anyone else having troubles with the fairing plates? I\'m not sure if this has been discussed but my fairing plates do not blow away from the space craft and instead just kind of gently release themselves leaving me to have to push my tiny shuttle through them which normally ends up in my engines breaking off.

EDIT:

Yes it seems I am not the only one. Sorry for the useless post.

Welcome to the forums, and it\'s a known issue. Pushing yourself through them might not be such a problem if you detach your spacecraft from the fairing base after you detach the shrouds. Then you can use the base, which is wider than your main craft, to push the shrouds away and then detach. Alternatively, you can go into the .craft file and change the decoupler force to something a tad more powerful.

Roger that, Kurt.

Was playing around a bit with some new texture images, and decided to test some stuff on something I dug up:

<image was here>

Dunno who might recognize this still (aside from Nova) but this is the original SIDR pod, from 1.0 and lower, which was replaced by the most excellent current bootleg pod. I\'ve been cleaning it up a bit (it was a weird size)

Dunno if I\'ll add it, but it might be worth adding with a bit more tweaking (need to re-add some metalwork detail I wiped off)

I still consider that one of the worst models I\'ve ever made...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.