Optimal Kerbin space station location?

How do you refuel once on the station?

Right click on the source tank (where you want the fuel to come from). Then hold ALT (or your specific mod key) and right click on the destination tank (the one you want filled).

Two pop-ups will be open and you'll have blue buttons that say "In" and "Out". As the name suggests, click on the "In" for the tank you want to fill.

Incidentally, this works for all kinds of things including monopropellant and electrical charge.

Actually only Duna and Eve transfers give profit big enough to build refuelling station on the optimal transfer orbit. It's ~400m/s2 gained. With other planets one gains only ~50m/s2, so for me it's not worth all the work with station (as my design is core + 6 arms with tanks and it's quite time consuming to build it), and you can just have station at LKO.

• 1 year later...

Assuming that you start fully fueled with your spacecraft:

I believe the most effective interplanetary launch point to be at the edge of Mun's SOI From this orbit (assuming the correct ejection), you spend 1 m/s to get ejected from the Kerbin SOI and gain a hyperbolic excess velocity of about 300m/s. You can't eject from the Kerbin SOI more inexpensively than this. The chief problem (which makes Minmus worse) is that launching requires both Mun and your slow, Mun-orbiting spacecraft to be correctly positioned.

Sorry Wcmille, but this thread is an oldie. Your points are good, but I think the folks who started this probably have their answer by now (since it's about 2.5 years old).

Actually, this has been arisen from the dead twice. So I think I will go ahead and close it to prevent any further confusion.

Cheers!

~Claw