Do you have a favourite building or monument?

I do, it is the Crystal Palace which used to stand in Hyde park, London. Sadly no longer in existence as a great fire that was visible across eight counties destroyed it in 1936, the same year that civil war broke out in my own country.

I hope you will forgive me for quoting wikipedia a little, it was made of cast-iron and plate glass in order to house the great exhibition of 1851, 14.000 exhibitors gathered from around the world in the Palace's 990.000 square feet of exhibition space to display examples of the latest technology developed in the industrial revolution.

Crystal_Palace.PNG

crystal-palace-02-gty.jpg

great-exhibition-03-gty.jpg

londonII.jpg

On the night of it's fiery ruin 89 fire engines and 400 firemen battled to save it without success, 100.000 people came to Sydenham hill to watch the blaze, among them Winston Churchill who said "this is the end of an age."

p><p>Personally i have always thought it

What is your favourite building?

Edited by Custard Donut (In Space)

The VAB at the Kennedy Space Center. Maybe its because I watched the moon landings as they happened and have always watched the space program intently, but finally getting there and having a look in person was pretty amazing.

That is one i would most definitely like to see in person one day. :)

That's a hard one. Got to think about that, there are many.

But I always worry a little when I pick a favourite building, someone always seems to demolish, or otherwise skrew it up a few months or years later.

But I'll say two, the Sydney opera house, and one of my local train stations for now.

Unless, you count the Central Station I designed for my simcity in my later years of high school.

35878_114439505268685_7423212_n.jpg

Though it only exists in my imagination, and some attempts at sketchup model making.

I kinda replicated the layout in railsim last year, and gave it some nice surrounds, but not the main building itself.

Edited by Tw1

Hm, well, thats hard - I love the main University Building in Vienna, wich is where I study (although I'm usualy in another building)

DSC_3984.JPG

UniWien_Arkadenhof_233_03.jpg

And while it's not exactly a monument, there is a commonwealth war cemetary within walking distance of the place where I grew up in Germany. I allways likes to visit it, its very serene and without frills. Walking through the lines allways gave me feeling of awe and thankfullnes. After all they did die for us in a way....

450px-Niederzwehren_Cemetery-Ehrenkreuz_mit_Schwert.jpg

800px-Niederzwehren_Cemetery-Grabreihen.jpg

800px-Niederzwehren_Cemetery-Grabstein.jpg

Nikola Tesla's House:

Nikola_Tesla_Memorial_Center.JPG

If It weren't for that house (Or at least a re-creation of it*) you might not be reading this message.

*=Tesla's original house was destroyed in a war. Croatia rebuilt it.

Edited by Flymetothemun

I am unusually fond of the "Monument to the conquerors of space" in Moscow, Russia. It looks so cool with all its reflective steel, and has a habit of looking much bigger than it actually is.

nFLWgf0.jpg

Tesla's house looks way too normal for such a spectacular man, i'd expect huge lightening rods at the top hehe, and the Russian monument is fantastic, i've never seen it before, give me vertigo. :) The reichstag looks very impressive, i believe i did see a Minecraft version of it made.

Oh, well, talking about russian monuments. I have newer seen this in real life, but I would love to see the The Mamayev Monument with my own eyes.

274px-The_Motherland_Calls.jpg

I wonder if it too, only looks so big of if it IS so big...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.