Long wordy explaination/observations about the new 0.21 Attitude Control System

dlmarti

It does lock the heading if you have it turned on, but yes, it is not as aggressive.

Nevermind, after importing my old crafts back from dropbox they all work fine. I guess I missed a part or two in the rebuilt crafts.

Still, having to do minor corrections all the time is not really that enjoyable.

Added the Scott Manley video on the subject.

I must admit, he just took a lot of the fear out of me. Didn't know Command Pods can move on their own. This will be damn useful for rovers.

Maybe this update isn't as bad as I'm thinking. I should really try it out. Those RCS Ports look very useful to keep my Speed Rover pointed in one direction.

I must admit, he just took a lot of the fear out of me. Didn't know Command Pods can move on their own. This will be damn useful for rovers.

Maybe this update isn't as bad as I'm thinking. I should really try it out. Those RCS Ports look very useful to keep my Speed Rover pointed in one direction.

You'll trust him, but not me! Damn, must be the accent.

I should add here that also ships will not dock at all in my experience when both ships have their SAS activated. At least one of the ships needs to have it deactivated. The ships dont even seem to pull magnetically together if both have SAS on.

I would reiterate the point that ships that need to rendezvous and dock with a target need good IRW units on them so you can turn over quickly, well either that or use the RCS. Docking is more difficult now with the new patch because of the slowness of the wheels in turning the ship and the lack of ability to stop the turn quickly.

I will look forward to the wheel power being beefed up a bit by C7 as he has suggested he will be doing at some point.

I should add here that also ships will not dock at all in my experience when both ships have their SAS activated. At least one of the ships needs to have it deactivated. The ships don't even seem to pull magnetically together if both have SAS on.

I found this with the old one too, probably because I never managed to get them quite straight. I needed to let the magnets pull them together, and turn them a little.

Can reaction wheels apply torque in any axis? I've been playing Orbiter since 0.21 came out waiting for the inevitable bug squashing, so haven't played around with the new parts. My assumption was that reaction wheels would (like real ones) only provide torque around a single axis.

Can reaction wheels apply torque in any axis? I've been playing Orbiter since 0.21 came out waiting for the inevitable bug squashing, so haven't played around with the new parts. My assumption was that reaction wheels would (like real ones) only provide torque around a single axis.

The reaction wheel parts contain multiple reactions wheels oriented along different axes so the parts can provide torque along all axes.

Reaction wheels provide torque for every axis. Stacking a lot of them on one craft can lead to cases such as unstallable aeroplanes and giant rotating rocket of doom.

If you need to put reaction wheels on an aeroplane, you have a problem with your craft.

I don't get it... I never use any SAS; I do have one ASAS module on each rocket... One ASAS only is fine as far as I know. Am I missing something?

ASAS doesn't exist anymore, or maybe worded differently it exists in all command pods now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.