Minmus vs. Laythe - Which moon would be better for a colony?

Which of these would be better for a colony?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would be better for a colony?

I can't remember who it was, but someone figured out that the radiation levels on Laythe's surface be perfectly safe. (You would need similar shielding to the ISS after about 10Km, though IIRC.) I would personally vote Laythe for pretty much all reasons, 0.8g's is much better than 1/20g's, along with the oxygen atmo, and the possibilities of almost if not complete self sustainability. Also, Laythe's ASL average temp is ~4 degrees C, compared to minmus, which can vary by a significant amount, and the max I have seen it get to is -30 degrees C, though the night cycle could quite possibly take it below -100, or maybe even -200. [Citation Needed]

The radiation environment around Jupiter owes a lot to Io's atmosphere. Things may be different around Jool, since Laythe has more gravity so won't shed its air so easily. Plus even if there's high radiation in space, it's all particles (not gamma rays) so Laythe's atmosphere itself will effectively shield the surface.

Laythe if all that mattered was appearance and views, but minmun if you actually wanted a practical base :)

MinMus makes a much better BASE, yes.

But thats not the question. Question is, which is best COLONY.

Colony implies permanent, long-duration. Babies.

1/20 g babies will go nowhere, ever. To them, Mun will be a 6-g nightmare, and Kerbin re-entry braking will turn them to jello!

0.8g babies will be more normal.

I don't want to found a colony that becomes its own prison for all eternity!

Perhaps, if you want to save fuel, (and money) these are the results: Mun/Minmus Colony that can transfer kerbals to and from the base. For a Laythe colony, looks like its going to be a one way trip.(at least until a very efficient propulsion system is researched such as fission/fusion)

I put a base on Vall. It's good for a Kethane production point. No atmosphere and fairly low gravity makes it a good jumping-off point for all the Joolean moons.

Putting a base on Laythe would be a challenge, but as far as a Kethane base it would be insane. Literally any other moon in Joolean orbit would be better.

I have also thought about putting a Keth base on Pol or Bop. I like that they have a lot lower gravity than Vall. I chose Vall because it was close to Laythe, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably put it on Pol.

Perhaps, if you want to save fuel, (and money) these are the results: Mun/Minmus Colony that can transfer kerbals to and from the base. For a Laythe colony, looks like its going to be a one way trip.(at least until a very efficient propulsion system is researched such as fission/fusion)

What do you mean? I'm sending a lander to Laythe right now that is designed to get back into Laythe orbit.

Laythe takes about the same DV to get into orbit from as Tylo. Actually this lander is going to both. Tylo first. It's a two-stage job.

Putting a base on Laythe would be a challenge, but as far as a Kethane base it would be insane. Literally any other moon in Joolean orbit would be better.
Laythe has an oxygen atmosphere, meaning you can use aerobraking and parachutes to land and jet engines to take off. Almost certainly you can land and return to low orbit from Laythe for less fuel than Vall.

I vote for Minmus - basically a minmus base is the same as a long-term munbase. And you DO have long term Mun bases,, don't you?

The main pros are the low gravity which makes landing even large chunks of your base easier and also launching it along with making transport easier; and the close proximity to Kerbin which allows a kerbonaut to return home using only his jetpack (and a personal heat shield).

Laythe is still a good place regarding the realistic gravity and atmosphere with oxygen - Hypersonic Air Launch could be used to bring stuff into orbit; while there is also water that is useable for oceanic bases.

I'm starting to believe that surface bases are rather pointless. Because gravity works in silly ways on planets, moving from place to place is very hard and expensive. It's much better for kerbals to live in space, and only launch supplies from planets. For that purpose, the lower the gravity, the better the planet.

Pham Nuwen had it right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.