Help getting to Mun please?

ClOSE ENOUGH!!

yca.png

Made it to da moon again...Sorta I forgot how to aerobrake :(

(da ship for anyone who wants it)

Eagles Wing 1.4.3

Step One. Do NOT ENABLE THROTTLE Press Space to enable Solid Boosters

Step Two. Once Smaller Boosters are 2/3 Burnt Enable Throttle 100% (you should be at about 125-175 m/s)

Step Three. Drop Solid Boosters as they Run out. (you should be at about 175-250 m/s)

Step Four. Now you should only have Fluid Fuel Rocket. This first one should get you to 12-20k(TURN SLOWLY OR YOU WILL BREAK IN HALF Working on a fix.)

Step Five. Drop Fluid Burner as soon as it runs out and Hit space a second time to enable second fluid Burner. This should get you to roughly 80-100K if you angle correctly.

Step Six. once Step 5 Fluid burner runs out drop it and enable 3rd Fluid boosters. If you do everything correctly you should still have about 10-25% tank left in these by the time you are able to maneuver your trajectory o da moon, and you still have one final set of rockets you can use to land.( this part about Fuel is a Maybe)

so i made it to da Mun....sorta

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img855/5062/dme1.png]

Hey there(newby here) I've been spending a good part of the past 3 days building ships, Have managed to crash into some planet when i forgot about my ship but other than that no luck landing on anything.

I've been working on this ship for the past few hours and can't seem to get enough speed out of it and i can't figure out what i can remove or add for more boost(i get about 2.5k m/S before i run outa full and fall back to Kerbal)

Right now i can't seem to get this ship up any suggestions are greatly appreciated
here is the craft
[url=http://www./download/e17vwdww2pteoma/Eagles_Wing_V1_0.craft] Eagles Wing 1.0 [/url]

and here are some Screenshots.
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img19/5875/d2.png]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img20/9710/h8a9.png]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img15/1765/hggp.png]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img593/4475/hp0c.png]

Launch procedure

Set thrust to 45-60% (any more and it will rip off the solid fuel boosters)
After first rockets run out hit Space once to drop Bottom Rockets and set throttle to 70-90%(you should be 200-300 M/s by now i believe)
After larger rockets run out of full Hit space to drop them. (you should be 400-500 m/s i believe) (these speeds are estimates b/c i cant remember exact #'s)
let the rockets drop for about 3 seconds so that they can't cause damage to the Ship.
Hit space Twice after the Solid fuel boosters fall to enable Liquid Fuel booster and the 6x Solid fuel boosters.
Hit space after solid fuel boosters run out of fuel to drop them.
After this things are still experimental.

Edited by Wolfmaster112
Updates

Okay, your craft can probably do it but you need to get it into orbit first, you can't just fly straight to the Mun.

Launch as normal and fly to about 12km altitude, then pitch over to 45 degrees east.

Then at 24km, pitch over some more to about 67 degrees east, then again at 32km to about 80 degress, you want to keep your green/yellow prograde marker above the 90 degree line on the navball when leaning over this far though.

Switch to the map and watch your apoapsis, when it is over 70km you can kill your throttle with the X key, 75 to 80km is fine.

Coast to apoapsis then point 90 degrees east and burn till your periapsis is also over 70km.

Now that's the hard part over, just wait for the Mun to peek over the horizon and then burn again to about 3100m/s, you should be pretty close to a munar intercept at this point, watch your map and thrust gently to get an orbit that passes the Mun.

You can swing by the Mun and return home, I'd do this the first time as a trial run, then next time try to land, landing can be a lot of fun, scary and dangerous fun :D

I'd got your ship into a 75k orbit and halfway to the Mun before I ran out of fuel. Quite a ride, though. The fins almost made the gravity turn become a exercise in lithobraking, and the top stage spins like a top under power, though the ACS handles it. I'm pretty sure a better pilot could just get it to the moon's SOI. Though I'm almost certain you can't slow it down enough to keep it there.

All in all, I like this ship. It's a great demonstration of the Ol' Jeb's adage: "MOAR BOOSTERS!"

I'd say it's a fine effort after three days. Looking forward to V2.0

Edit: I'm a bit torn on how much help I should give, since much of the fun in KSP is designing and redesigning your rockets. I'll start with some general stuff though.

1) Your first stage is way too powerful and you're losing thrust to drag.

2) The liquid stage has too little fuel.

3) Don't use boosters in stages that are supposed to fire in space or high atmosphere. Their efficiency is terrible up there.

4) As I said before, your top stage spins when under power. It could be because the solar panels are angled like they are.

Edited by luchelibre

Thank you both of you,

I will try to work out the issues/Suggestions you both suggested and will get back to you ASAP

Edit:So i made MORE changes, made a successful orbit of KErbin(out of fuel though)

(here is da file if you're curious)

Eagles Wing 1.3

Will make a few mun attempts

Edited by Wolfmaster112

BC2B4C8EB8FB3071D40C8D9C001A6EF7C2BD031A

Ok, greatest landing ever and I didn't record it. Somehow missed a ridge by 10 meters, flipped the thing end-over-end on the surface twice, barely missed breaking off the top, and put it down in a skid with about 8 units of fuel left just as Kerbin hit the horizon. *takes off sunglasses* Yeah....

Moar landing practice!

Wolf, I rearranged the top stage parachutes, landing legs, and fins to be symmetrical. Nothing added or removed, just tweaked in position. In order to make that happen, I had to drop the engines from 4 to 2 (though they provide more than enough power). It also turns out that, for whatever reason, the radial engines don't line up right when you attach them to the pod. That was causing the spin. Doesn't spin now.

Also changed the mid-stage seperator with a decoupler. It kept breaking when the bottom mainsail was throttled up after the outside boosters fell off.

Other than that, the ship is unchanged. Thanks for the fun! Can't wait to see you have the same. Congrats on building a ship that even a crappy pilot can put on the Mun.

Eagles Wing V1.31

Edit: Wolf, after posting, I realized that I may be offending you by stealing your thunder or sounding patronizing. Please understand I meant no disrespect by landing your craft. I really did enjoy the ship and did the landing to justify your work.

Edited by luchelibre

You're all good m8 I like failinga t my own ideas and seeing other suceed, it give me something to push towards.

I can't seem to open your Ship.

When i do it says its incompatible. IS there some new update or something??(I can never tell b/c my patcher is stupid)

Also quick question. are you able to make a return to Kerbal? or not enough fuel?

Edited by Wolfmaster112

I think I still had the kerbal engineer redux part on it. I'll check and reupload.

Also, no the lander is stuck on the Mun. I made it with only 8 units left. I don't think the ship as a whole has enough delta-v to make a return trip from the surface. You can get it into low orbit and come back, though.

Edit: Didn't have any mod parts still on it. I'm using KSP 21.1

Eagle's Wing 1.32

Edited by luchelibre

Right now i'm testing an all new NOse-tip&gas set up on the rocket on the top half of it(nothing SUPER BIG but very noticeable)

Here is the new design, I personally Like it allot more.

here are some pictures i'm still working out a major issue

85tn.png

eu5.png

If you notive here this tank is seperated from the others only connected with a steel rod and a small steel cube but for some reason is still is draining even though it is not being used(its also separated from the above tank) any suggestions??

1vdl.png

Here is the issue highlighted

6nfv.jpg

Edited by Wolfmaster112

Before you launch, disable fuel usage for that tank by right clicking on it and clicking on the green triangle to the right. Do the same to reactivate it when you are ready to use those engines attached to it.

"If you notive here this tank is seperated from the others only connected with a steel rod and a small steel cube but for some reason is still is draining even though it is not being used(its also separated from the above tank) any suggestions??"

I GET SO CLOSE then gravity flings me AWAY!!

Try resetting the maneuver so that you come in retrograde below Mun's orbit. That way, you will be sling shot back to Kerbal instead of escape velocity should you miss the capture burn. You will also use less Delta-V for the maneuver as well as for the capture burn. Get that maneuver just right and you could get a capture that uses only a small burn of a couple of seconds.

The small tank is being (or, at least, can be) drained by the two larger radial engines through the pod and small cube.

The only parts that stop fuel flow are decouplers and separators.

Didn't work for thruster tanks separated by a decoupler. The top one stilled drained first even though thrusters on top were disabled.

What works is disabling the tank by right clicking on it before launch and clicking on the green triangle on the right to get a no symbol. You turn it back on the same way or when you come back to fly after flying or launching something else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.