Why can't I translate left/right without spinning during dock?

I have spent all day place RCS thursters in different positions and different number of thrusters. even tried just dorsal and ventral RCS pods right on center of mass yet when I press J or L key instead of moving my craft liner it spins the whole ship. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! I want to built a station but I can't cause instead of small corrections my ship spins out of control

Do you have SAS enabled when doing the RCS translation? If you are playing 0.21 then all command pods have it included (just need to turn it on with the T key). If playing older versions then add an ASAS module to your ship.

no I keep it turned off cause I when I use it a let off the key it move me back to where I was either that or my eyes re playing trick on me. I'm using .20 but I put ASAS on ever ship I build. perhas eye are just play trick so I'll go into game and try again if not I'll be back

OMG it does work I feel so stupide. when I pressed it it looked like it jumped back like when using pitch and yaw control with SAS on but I never had a point of reference cause I never kept sas on when close to what I wanted to dock with.Thanx.

One more Question thought I hit the dock port goin .02 m/s sec and it didn't connect I'm trying to dock with a clamp o tron on the station I made using a ship with a jr clam o tron does this make a diff cause once getting close I thought the magnets would capture it and all I did was bump the station

One more Question thought I hit the dock port goin .02 m/s sec and it didn't connect I'm trying to dock with a clamp o tron on the station I made using a ship with a jr clam o tron does this make a diff cause once getting close I thought the magnets would capture it and all I did was bump the station

First, punctuation, capitalization, and correct spelling would be appreciated, since your posts are difficult to read.

To answer your question, docking ports can only dock with other docking ports of the same type. Also, if you update to 0.21.1 and turn on fine control mode with caps lock, RCS automatically balances when translating so it doesn't cause rotation.

Also, if you update to 0.21.1 and turn on fine control mode with caps lock, RCS automatically balances when translating so it doesn't cause rotation.

Cool, thanks for the tip about the fine controls, I didn't know about this. Jeb's been manually docking all sorts of stuff lately, and its not always very pretty. So with this new knowledge his training is now improved, hopefully decreasing his Stupidity score somewhat. :)

See I don't use any mods as of yet I'd like to have the one that shows weight of the craft and thrust because there's lots of trail and error without it. I knew about caps locks softening control thanks to Scott Manly who's channel I came across by accident.

Also, if you update to 0.21.1 and turn on fine control mode with caps lock, RCS automatically balances when translating so it doesn't cause rotation.

WAIT WHAT THAT WAS A THING?

I've still been doing it the old way by swapping RCS on and off to dock for the whole time since the update and this is a thing now?! Maan...

To answer your question, docking ports can only dock with other docking ports of the same type.

More accurately, they can only dock with other ports of the same size. So, for instance, both of the docking ports that have animated enclosures are medium sized docking ports, and can dock with each other as well as the medium sized clamp o trons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.