Permit a recover option when on Kerbin

So I take off, fly, then crash land on Kerbin. The craft is in pieces but my Kerbal survived - because they're awesome and very lucky.

I should be able to 'recover' the Kerbal from in the game. I currently need to return to the space centre, go to tracking station, find the Kerbal (or craft) I was just controlling, recover from there - and then return to the main screen.

Not sure why I'm forced to take such convoluted actions. I should be able to do this in-game if the same recovery rules are satisfied. Thanks.

This makes sense, however we'd probably see a resurgence in people complaining about accidentally recovering/ending their flights. I suspect though that people don't have flights that are that important to them on Kerbin though, so it wouldn't matter so much.

This makes sense, however we'd probably see a resurgence in people complaining about accidentally recovering/ending their flights. I suspect though that people don't have flights that are that important to them on Kerbin though, so it wouldn't matter so much.

No I agree. I'd rather be able to go to the tracking center directly, instead.

No I agree. I'd rather be able to go to the tracking center directly, instead.

There's an option I'd support; instead of (or in addition to) "Return to Space Center" have a button to "Return to Tracking Center", giving players a chance to help skip a loading screen when recovering a mission and crew.

-- Steve

You could probably even go so far as make the "Go to tracking Center" option highlight the craft that was the focus in the tracking center, if you went straight from the craft to the tracking center.

Correct, it would have to be. KSP is rather restrictive on when it will allow the revert option because reverting rewinds time for the entire universe it's set in. If it wasn't restrictive, people could start a mission, switch back to the VAB, launch another mission, switch back to the first craft, revert it, and then the second mission would cease to exist.

What if you added something before you could recover a craft from the pause menu? Something easy to do, but impossible to do by mistake.

End flight button is in game - people moan about how their stations get killed

The button got removed - people moan about how they are too lazy to go into tracking station and click recover

I think it's better the way it is now. It's not that hard to go into tracking station.

End flight button is in game - people moan about how their stations get killed

The button got removed - people moan about how they are too lazy to go into tracking station and click recover

I think it's better the way it is now. It's not that hard to go into tracking station.

Load times have increased substantially for many people since 0.21. It is not trivial to get to the tracking station in fact, and anyway lowering the number of clicks to do a thing, especially a very common case like with this, is good.

I don't agree, for two reasons:

1) The End Flight button was always available. If you had a giant space station that took 10+ launches to construct, you could easily wipe all that work out with an accidental button press. The "Recover" option is ONLY available when a craft is stationary on the surface of Kerbin; I doubt very many people have craft on the surface of Kerbin that are intended to be permanent fixtures.

2) The primary flow of designing craft in KSP is the "Build, Launch, Crash, repeat" workflow. Before 0.21, this was accomplished with the end flight button. That means that you got used to hitting "End Flight" every 20 seconds when your rocket explodes on the launchpad or breaks apart halfway to orbit. That becomes a habit, and that's why a lot of people habitually hit the "End Flight" button without thinking. Now, in 0.21, that workflow is handled by the Revert Flight button. The proposal here is to add "Recover" as a separate button -- since it's not the same button, people won't end up hitting it out of habit.

Anyway, I am very much in support of this as an option (though I'm sure implementation isn't trivial.) It would also solve another complaint of mine: when I've successfully completed a mission, there's no way for me to get the end of mission report like I could before with the End Flight button.

It would also solve another complaint of mine: when I've successfully completed a mission, there's no way for me to get the end of mission report like I could before with the End Flight button.

You can still invoke it (if I'm thinking of the same report your are) any time during flight by hitting the F3 key. As it also pauses the game, it's very handy in figuring out what the CENSORED is happening when parts start, er, "leaving formation."

-- Steve

Load times have increased substantially for many people since 0.21. It is not trivial to get to the tracking station in fact, and anyway lowering the number of clicks to do a thing, especially a very common case like with this, is good.

Oh man, I play KSP on a reaaaally bad laptop right now on which Minecraft works really poorly, if not barely.

And yet, I still enjoy clicking around in KSP.

• 2 months later...