Anybody else here see the Apollo 11 landing live?

Gus

So many old people here. How do you even know how to use a forum?

I suspect I was using a computer well before you were born, whelp. :kiss:

Documentation on stone tablets, a working punch-card reader and a 9600 baud modem! :P

9600 baud? My first modem was 300 baud, connected to an 8-bit Atari (which wasn't even my first computer).

Kids these days ...

I suspect I was using a computer well before you were born, whelp. :kiss:

9600 baud? My first modem was 300 baud, connected to an 8-bit Atari (which wasn't even my first computer).

Kids these days ...

Pfeh. My first was a Timex/Sinclair 1000. I was a badass. I had the 16k memory adapter. Kneel before Zod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

I was born nearly 30 years too late for that. I can imagine that people really believed we would be a proper spacefaring race by the year 2000, but nope. I can imagine, though, that i'll be on another planet before i die (may that be in 60 years, or in 500 years...) although i know i might be wrong. We all know the future is some really unpredictable ****, i mean, 50 years ago nobody saw the computer coming, and we still haven't realised that flying cars aren't gonna happen (again, i can't be sure). All that aside, i hope Kerbalkind is going all future sci-fi stuff soon, because i've reached the limits of KSP. Seriously, Design above Function. Even in wartimes. And in space. And in heavy industry.

I'm confident I will see a Moon landing during my lifetime, as it is more than possible to send a cubesat capable of landing there for under 500k. Thus, out of sheer probability one of us will become wealthy enough to send something there.

Pfeh. My first was a Timex/Sinclair 1000. I was a badass. I had the 16k memory adapter. Kneel before Zod.

I built Lee Hart's Elf Membership card a few weeks ago... 8-bit processor (RCA CDP1802) with 32k RAM. I've been writing quite a few little programs with it. 1969 was still a whole 28 years too early though... It's a shame It's been so long.

I built Lee Hart's Elf Membership card a few weeks ago... 8-bit processor (RCA CDP1802) with 32k RAM. I've been writing quite a few little programs with it. 1969 was still a whole 28 years too early though... It's a shame It's been so long.

At the time, the only program I wrote with it was:

10 PRINT "I AM AWESOME!"

20 GOTO 10

Thankfully my programming vocabulary has substantially increased. I'm still awesome, though.

TRS-80. I had to solder on a new power switch because it fell and broke while in storage. I hooked it up to a tape deck for storage.

I am not, however, old enough to have watched the landing live. I would have been -6.

The first computer I owned was a Texas Instruments 99/4A. It had a whopping 16K of RAM and needed a cassette recorder to save programs. My best friend in high school had a Timex Sinclair, with the membrane keyboard and 9v battery for power... connected to a TV by an RF modulator. My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic modem (you had to place the handset into the cups). Kids nowadays probably have no idea what most of those terms even mean.

Unfortunately the U.S. government is not going back to the moon in anyone's lifetime here - despite the hype :( . We don't even have enough money to fix our decaying infrastructure, feed the 22% of our children who live below poverty level, or bail out our bankrupt cities. We gave all that money to the banks and mortgage CEOs and boards and none of them want to go to the moon (although I wish they would).

Maybe we'll see China get there one day or Canada or Australia or some country which still has vision but sadly that country is no longer the good old U.S. of A. ( --- glad I got to see the moonshots live).

I barely remember the Moon landing, was only 5 at the time. My father worked for NASA at Goddard SFC so we watched all the launches as a family. I was even present for one of the Apollo launches (don't recall which atm) because my father had a telescope project go up on the flight. All I can remember is it was loud, scared me to death, and made my chest rumble.

For the record, my first computer I had to build with a soldering iron by hand. Resistors, transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc. all soldered onto a big circuit board. It had a whopping 4k memory. To this day I am still impressed with the little games that computer ran in 4k RAM.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Heh, I said the Atari wasn't my first computer. Mine was this (which was before the licensed Timex version):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

I made do with the 2K of RAM before I saved lawn mowing money for the 16K expansion.

I am afraid for future generations. Kids these days idolize pop stars and wanna grow to be the next bieber instead of the next Carl Segan. As off topic as this may sound...COSMOS is being remade in 2014 with Niel DeGrasse Tyson hosting it. Seth McFarlene ( family guy ) is funding it and airing it on Fox primetime. The goal is for EVERYONE to see it. To create new and proper idols for the generation to come. The beginning of the trailer NDT says "It's time for us to get back into it" The man couldnt be more right.

As for Apollo. I truly envy that generation. The generation that looked up instead of down. I'm 22 and my generation is lucky in its own way. By time I'm on my deathbed the human race will be be on its way to true greatness or it will be hell on Earth as our society slowly consumes itself. Unfortunately the path we currently tread is leading to another dark age.

Heh, I said the Atari wasn't my first computer. Mine was this (which was before the licensed Timex version):

I made do with the 2K of RAM before I saved lawn mowing money for the 16K expansion.

Honestly, I don't even recall if it was the T/S 1000 or the ZX81. Now that I'm thinking about it it might have been the ZX81. Red vaguely rings more of a bell than blue. I think the actual difference between the two was very little.

Looks like Skunky has us beat, anyway. :D

Good old Sir Clive! I started on the ZX80 as my first personal computer. My first FORTRAN code was done on punch cards, for a UNIVAC 1100/40. Pardon me, I have to go chase some kids off my lawn. :D

I remember it clear as day. Me and the family where out having a picnic in the beautiful Earthshine when this bloomin' weird contraption comes scooting over the rim of a crater. It was blowing up dust and belching some kinda white-blue hot gas from underneath it. I waved my tentacles at Eboonix, that's me wife, to get our little moonoids safe under her stomach folds as I turned to face what I thought was some kinda scout ship from them darn Venusians again.

Opshee, was I surprised when it plopped to a stop and a bit later two of the strangest creatures I ever laid wavelength on crept slowly down a ladder and begin to pick up rocks!! Yes sir, rocks. I mean Darvinia, um you call it Luna I believe is littered with them. Now I am thinking, they must come from a really poor place if they traveled all this way here to pick up rocks.

Anyway, being neighborly I gathered up some and begin tossing them to them. Seems they never heard of catch before. They scampered back up in that contraption and hauled their gomitixs out of there.

Wasn't till the next time some more visited that I understood what was going on. A Space Race the little short fella called it. Dumb race I think if the prize is just a bunch of rocks. But the Universe is a strange place my Grandflox always said and people, well they are stranger.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.