[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

@Tristavius:

1) Like Andrey above said, its planned. (I for one like the button lol, but yeah Toolbar is awsome)

2) As for resources, i would prefer something in the likes of ScanSAT with inactive vessels doing their job, instead of Kethane. I dont wanna stay in the ship just warping around to find resources. You could even say a mod like Cacteye's scope to find traces on a body, and then use a close Sat flyby for more detailed scan is better. But all this is purelly theoritical, since im sure Fractal will come up with something.

3) And yes, i agree with Andrey on this. Having maneuver ability during warp is way OP. It would kill the need for any other impulse ever.

@Tristavius:

3) And yes, i agree with Andrey on this. Having maneuver ability during warp is way OP. It would kill the need for any other impulse ever.

Completely false. If your game balancing mechanism is "make it not fun to do the most powerful thing", it's not balanced. You're just rewarding people with nothing better to do.

The need for other impulses is the same as the need for other impulses in real life. Time. Not simulated time, sitting around, but when you are actually under pressure for time. Circularising or plane-adjusting an orbit, launching, landing, meeting a transfer window - those are time-sensitive things. Mid-transfer burns, adjustments, etc., are not, but those are rarer than most.

Completely false. If your game balancing mechanism is "make it not fun to do the most powerful thing", it's not balanced. You're just rewarding people with nothing better to do.

The need for other impulses is the same as the need for other impulses in real life. Time. Not simulated time, sitting around, but when you are actually under pressure for time. Circularising or plane-adjusting an orbit, launching, landing, meeting a transfer window - those are time-sensitive things. Mid-transfer burns, adjustments, etc., are not, but those are rarer than most.

Im sorry, I dont get what you mean. If you dont have the time for it, just go sandbox mode and enjoy everything from the get go. Even better go grab a crazy engine mod that does whatever you want, and leave this one as it is, because it really is balanced.

As for the impulses, we are saying the same thing. But if you had an engine that goes from 0.000001c to 50c then i really dont think you would need another engine, maybe a few RCS and a launch method, but still.

Loving this mod! Talk about opening up a whole new side to the game. I usually avoid new parts packs as they often seem totally unbalanced or unnecessary but I'm really glad I finally tried this. It took me a whole day of just having ships on the launchpad to work out most of what was going on - and I haven't even started on mining/refining yet.

The Alcubierre drive initially sounds very over powered - it generates fuel easily and basically for free and you can skip around all over the system in seconds but actually it's NOT by any means OP. The fact that you still maintain your velocity and direction relative to Kerbol after you jump means some potentially huge Delta-V burns. As you begin to understand how to utilize this you can begin to use it more effectively and by altering your position then using Kerbols gravity to slow down or speed up you can begin to do some very low delta-v transfers = but at the cost of it often taking almost as long as a Hohmann. Anyway, a well thought out non game breaking addition either way.

Three things I would like to see however!

1) Get rid of the god-awful massive power button on the right hand side! Consider making it a lot smaller and movable like so many others do (Alarm Clock, VOID, Protractor etc) or better yet integrate into the Toolbar API.

2) Would it be possible to integrate scanning for resources into Kethane - I think it has an API for doing so if I remember rightly. It currently has a superb scanning system!

3) Can we have a slower warp speed? The slowest is still way too fast for maneuvers around smaller bodies (Kerbin even!) An option for a 10th or even better a 100th of the currently slowest would be superb and would actually allow for precision jumps.

blizzy integration is expected to ready in the next update I think.

You can already map resources, thorium and uranium right now. I believe fractal mentioned that he plans to do more.

Im sorry, I dont get what you mean. If you dont have the time for it, just go sandbox mode and enjoy everything from the get go. Even better go grab a crazy engine mod that does whatever you want, and leave this one as it is, because it really is balanced.

As for the impulses, we are saying the same thing. But if you had an engine that goes from 0.000001c to 50c then i really dont think you would need another engine, maybe a few RCS and a launch method, but still.

My apologies. I failed to pickup the context here and read "warp" as "timewarp" and not "Alcubierre Warp". Carry on.

I think some people had problems before when using the expanded science reports thing because it asks you to replace the stock ScienceDefs.cfg file rather than just editing them with module manager.

Hi Fractal_UK and Atragon,

This was the problem. I renamed the backup scienceDefs_original.cfg that I had made to scienceDefs_original.txt and got the magnetometer and seismic impact reports back. Thanks for the help! And thanks, Fractal, for the awesome mod!

Cheers,

I've been waiting for someone else to have the same issue as me, but it seems like I'm alone here. No matter what I do I cannot get Kerbal to work with this mod. It either CTDs after loading the parts or when I load/start a game. I've tried it with mods, with just parts packs and with a fresh install. No changes, just a guaranteed CTD.

Yes I installed it as per the readme, and this is the second PC that won't run this mod (since I changed recently). Any ideas? I obviously don't have any crash logs, Kerbal just closes without confirmation.

Glint

It seems like my post was lost in the middle of that conversation, any help?

Microwave receivers take incoming energy and keep it as megajoules. Microwave thermal receivers take incoming energy and convert it to thermal power. You use the former to power a plasma thruster or science lab or kickstart a fusion reactor. You use the latter to power a thermal rocket nozzle, or perhaps (inefficiently) power a thermal generator.
Thanks! Seems I had a misunderstanding. Is there any way of getting a launch from a thermal rocket?

Absolutely - that's what the Microwave Thermal Receivers (the black circular stack-mounted things) are for. They "take incoming energy and convert it to thermal power" and thermal power is what fuels thermal rockets. They function like a reactor, in that they produce thermal power and thermal nozzles need to be directly connected to them.

So I was beginning to setup a microwave power network and I noticed something I'm wondering if I should be concerned about...

I have a massive reactor setup about 3km outside of the space center, with the unfolding microwave transceiver set to relay mode (confirmed). I launched three satellites into an equatorial orbit, 700km up, offset by 120 degrees from each other. They all have the regular microwave transceiver set to relay mode. None of the satellites show connected to any relays. Shouldn't they?

So I was beginning to setup a microwave power network and I noticed something I'm wondering if I should be concerned about...

I have a massive reactor setup about 3km outside of the space center, with the unfolding microwave transceiver set to relay mode (confirmed). I launched three satellites into an equatorial orbit, 700km up, offset by 120 degrees from each other. They all have the regular microwave transceiver set to relay mode. None of the satellites show connected to any relays. Shouldn't they?

Relay mode does not give that crafts power to the network. You need to actually transmit from your power pile to the relay satellites.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have reactors, generators, heat radiators, a computer core, and a transmitter. Then I have a craft with fuel, a plasma engine, and a receiver.

Certain parts have to be inline and directly connected to other parts via their nodes. Thermal receivers replace things like the nuclear power plant. You still have to obey the rules of the parts as if you didn't have a relay network.

Edited by BigD145

It seems like my post was lost in the middle of that conversation, any help?

Sorry as part of the forums anti spambot measures freshly registered accounts often dont have their posts show up for an hour or two after they are made. In a fast moveing thread that can mean your post appears 2 pages back by the time it shows up. Have you confirmed KSP is not runing out of memory? Open task manager while KSP is loading and watch its memory usage. If it goes up over 3.2 gigs of ram or so and then dies your runing out of memory and will need to either reduce the number of mods (part mods have the bigest footprint usualy) or run a texture compressor mod. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005 is the link to the texture mod most of us swear by.

Relay mode does not give that crafts power to the network. You need to actually transmit from your power pile to the relay satellites.

I just realized I said "relay" mode, but the power pile is actually in transmit mode, the relay satellites are in relay mode, and it turns out none of the satellites show "connected" to anything, but do work. I do wish each satellite would show ON that satellite what else it was seeing in relay mode. I didn't realize everything was working until I went to launch a test craft and it showed it was connected in receive mode to 1 "Satellite" (the on ground power pile) and 1 "relay" which was a relay satellite overhead.

Thank you for your help, Warpfunction. I have my refinery floating in the ocean. I even moved it offshore a bit to make sure it was in the ocean biome. I can electrolyze water and aluminia and run the other functions as long as I have the resources, but not extract anything but thorium and uranium. Centrifuges work fine too. I did your modification and now I can extract lithium from the surface now at least. I'm a bit hesitant to send my lander to Laythe or Eve still though in case my problem still exists there.

Does anyone know how to get this mod to work on a mac OS. If you do please tell me how. I dont have a GameData folder inside of another GameData folder and I looked at the instructions of how to install it. Didn't work. I have been looking all over for how to install it or Q&As but i have found nothing that helped. Please if you know the reason why please tell me how to fix it.

Anyone having problem with the radial uranium and thorium tanks (the ones in the first science) node in career mode? I can't enable them. I click them, save and go to the VAB, and they aren't enabled. Any help is appreciated.

Yep, everything else works well, I have all the other parts working. I click research the part and while I'm in the reseasch tree it looks like it worked, but ass soon as I go to the VAB, reload or to a vessel, the parts de-enable. Their possition in the node also look weird as it can be seen in the picture:

17boWON.png

I've found the same problem with some canisters in the Nuclear Propulsion Science Node. As far as i can tell they all share the same model

Does anyone know how to get this mod to work on a mac OS. If you do please tell me how. I dont have a GameData folder inside of another GameData folder and I looked at the instructions of how to install it. Didn't work. I have been looking all over for how to install it or Q&As but i have found nothing that helped. Please if you know the reason why please tell me how to fix it.

I'm not aware of any specific issues relating to mac OS. However you didnt really tell us what its doing or not doing so its kinda hard to trouble shoot what your problem might be. are parts not showing up? Is it crashing? If its crashing what point did it crash?

Yep, everything else works well, I have all the other parts working. I click research the part and while I'm in the reseasch tree it looks like it worked, but ass soon as I go to the VAB, reload or to a vessel, the parts de-enable. Their possition in the node also look weird as it can be seen in the picture:

http://i.imgur.com/17boWON.png

I've found the same problem with some canisters in the Nuclear Propulsion Science Node. As far as i can tell they all share the same model

Just to be clear, you are clicking on the tank icons that say 0c under them correct? Because that picture clearly has them un-researched.

There is only one gamedata folder for the game. You download the mod zipfile, find the things inside the mod's gamedata folder and copy them to your install's gamedata folder.

Or simply drag the gamedata folder from the mod into the ksp directory and the two folders will merge. So you should not have a gamedata folder inside of the gamedata folder.

You'll ofcourse need to know where the ksp directory is on your computer. I don't know enough about macs to tell you where the OS installs stuff.

Thank you for your help, Warpfunction. I have my refinery floating in the ocean. I even moved it offshore a bit to make sure it was in the ocean biome. I can electrolyze water and aluminia and run the other functions as long as I have the resources, but not extract anything but thorium and uranium. Centrifuges work fine too. I did your modification and now I can extract lithium from the surface now at least. I'm a bit hesitant to send my lander to Laythe or Eve still though in case my problem still exists there.

The land based lithium and water extraction only works on kerbin, because of those files I made.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to do, but I know that laythe has ammonia in the oceans. I just returned from there.