[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

And I retire for the night directly after telling you all that I fit 98 gigantor solar arrays on a single vessel that would never overheat, and I placed it near the star! Unfortunately, it wants to be the space kraken because it has 14, 16, and 26 arms that the gigantors sit at the end of. Literally. It starts wobbling in a fluid-like motion and doesn't stop until it breaks the connection between parts due to bending too far, or continues wobbling. I just gave up for the night. I'll put on more struts tomorrow and tell you all how much energy it's putting out.

(I predict a 4,767,210 energy unit net gain from the solar panels)

I'm still planning my solar power relays but here's some traditional nuclear action...

PowerX4-4way.jpg

Almost totally black from most angles and big enough to throw perspective illusions it's a pain to image. The bottom half is just extra cooling, 2 halves, two launches using the new KSP engines :) With 56 x 2 of the big radiators I can say with confidence that the major radiator lag has much improved in version 0.11, I can also say with confidence that the radiators and reactors still present a large cpu overhead.

Quick question: are you supposed to be able to reprocess the actinides in Th4 reactors while the reactor is running? If yes, I have a strange bug to report, if no then I would imagine a race who have mastered warp technology would have devised some way of dealing with the problem ;)

Hello! First time poster to the KSP forums so I hope I'm putting this in the correct place...

But anyways, I have a question regarding microwave power: Is there an equation to calculate the efficiency of a receiver given the collector area, and the distance from the transmitter? For example, lets say I have power station in LKO radiating 20 GW of microwave power and a craft with a small receiver(collector area of 0.75 m^2) that is 42,000,000 Km away. If the angle is perfect, and there is no atmosphere, how much power would the craft receive? I've checked the KSP interstellar wiki and skimmed this forum a bit but I couldn't find an equation for this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

So, I finally got the FTL drives but they're not behaving. This is the Phoenix II:

5aEDqEP.png

When i engage the Alcubierre Drive the activate button flashes and the raw speed of the ship jumps by whatever fraction of c i had it set to. If i activate the drive again it jumps by that amount again. Turning over and firing the drive in retrograde slows down the jump but it's never exactly as much as the jump forward hits. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I've read the descriptions and it isn't working properly. The Drive never gives me the option to Deactivate it. as you can see here:

MFqVpAa.png

Interstellar's updated to 0.11 properly.

So, I finally got the FTL drives but they're not behaving. This is the Phoenix II:

http://i.imgur.com/5aEDqEP.png

When i engage the Alcubierre Drive the activate button flashes and the raw speed of the ship jumps by whatever fraction of c i had it set to. If i activate the drive again it jumps by that amount again. Turning over and firing the drive in retrograde slows down the jump but it's never exactly as much as the jump forward hits. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I've read the descriptions and it isn't working properly. The Drive never gives me the option to Deactivate it. as you can see here:

http://i.imgur.com/MFqVpAa.png

Interstellar's updated to 0.11 properly.

Retrograde and prograde don't really have anything to do with warp drives. When you activate the warp drive, the only thing that changes is your position based upon the vector your ship was facing when activated. You cannot change this vector while the drive is active. When you drop of of warp, your previous velocity vector is still present. Which may be more or less than it was previously relative to your current body of reference. It is not an engine, it does not produce thrust or change your velocity in any way. There was ways to use it to modify your velocity using gravity wells and aerobraking, but the engine itself does nothing more than change your position along an initial vector a fractions of the speed of light.

So, I saw all these comments about the new radiation reporting features and I was noticing the same in my recent game. Is Minmus supposed to be an extremely hot moon? I mean, really really radioactive. There was something like 1-3 Sv/hr at 30km up. I guess I've never looked at space-based radiation fields but that seems incredibly high. I mean, this is a fatal dose in humans in a few hours of that. Also, the Kerbal's accumulated dose seemed to be increasing such that it was providing 0 shielding. Is that intended? It was the very first 1.25m capsule.

I'm just wondering how toasty we can expect our Kerbals in the next version where all this radiation actually has a game mechanic attached to it. I could cook turkeys in near Minmus orbit at these rates.

edit: If I read this presentation right (assuming the Russian PI is changing Sv to Zv), then our Moon's radiation rate at 30km up is ~0.1 mSv/day (last page of this file http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/leag2009/presentations/Day-2%20AM/11-40_Litvak.pdf ).

Edited by DivisionByZero
additional information link

So, I saw all these comments about the new radiation reporting features and I was noticing the same in my recent game. Is Minmus supposed to be an extremely hot moon? I mean, really really radioactive. There was something like 1-3 Sv/hr at 30km up. I guess I've never looked at space-based radiation fields but that seems incredibly high. I mean, this is a fatal dose in humans in a few hours of that. Also, the Kerbal's accumulated dose seemed to be increasing such that it was providing 0 shielding. Is that intended? It was the very first 1.25m capsule.

I'm just wondering how toasty we can expect our Kerbals in the next version where all this radiation actually has a game mechanic attached to it. I could cook turkeys in near Minmus orbit at these rates.

It's a work in progress, it hasn't been balanced yet or even fully implemented. It's not simply disabled.

Quick question: are you supposed to be able to reprocess the actinides in Th4 reactors while the reactor is running? If yes, I have a strange bug to report, if no then I would imagine a race who have mastered warp technology would have devised some way of dealing with the problem ;)

Yes, you should be able to reprocess MSR/Gas Core reactors when they're running. Please let me know what happened.

edit: If I read this presentation right (assuming the Russian PI is changing Sv to Zv), then our Moon's radiation rate at 30km up is ~0.1 mSv/day (last page of this file http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/leag2009/presentations/Day-2%20AM/11-40_Litvak.pdf ).

I need to investigate the excessive rates around Minmus, I'm not really sure why that is occuring at the moment but that will certainly be revised downward by a lot. Minmus is not planned to be particularly radioactive by any measure.

Yes, you should be able to reprocess MSR/Gas Core reactors when they're running. Please let me know what happened.

The following also involves KAS so feel free to ignore any or indeed all...

This is the set-up, KSC is 3km to the right.

AMatActinideBugSetup.jpg

Lower right a small 8 Th4 tank refueller.

Upper right 3 x science modules, 1.25m UF4 power, 2 x 3.5m antimatter storage.

Left 8 x 3.5 Th4 power + 2.5m In-line Refinery + cooling + unused relay module.

The 3 craft are connected by KAS and this appears to be root of the problem - maybe two problems. My findings, the 3.5m reactors are active throughout:

1) If the 2.5m refinery is omitted from the build the science modules cannot reprocess the nuclear fuel, iirc reprocessing mode is entered but remaining time stays at 0 and no reprocessing occurs.

2) When the science craft is disconnected the 2.5m refinery responds to the first reprocess click with an 'Unable to Reprocess' message, clicking reprocess a second time commences the reprocessing.

3) This is the bug I mentioned, the rest of this list is really follow up information: Science craft connected, 2.5m refinery included in the build ie, as shown above, clicking reprocess on either one of the science modules or the refinery starts the process and initially displays a reasonable time to completion, a second or two later the completion time jumps into the 1,000s of hours and the reprocessing of actinides appears to stop.

At this point the only fix is a reload of an earlier save, no manner of ons and offs and reconnecting of pipes or even restarting the game will remedy the situation.

4) If the science modules are set to generate antimatter, each demanding 5GW, and the KAS pipe is disconnected, examining the science modules shows that they still think they are connected. 3 x 5GW demand even though, iirc, the management display shows only the power from the 1.25m power unit to be available.

So, KAS and vessel configuration/reconfiguration?

So, now I know why exactly you're not allowed to activate the alcubierre drive within atmosphere...It's much akin to hitting the planet itself.

anyway. I'm currently trying to make a solar power relay of satllites, beginning with decent sized solar sats in low Kerbol orbit. Now, I ahve one out so far, and it's the pic below.

http://imgur.com/2UzZVSQ.png

There are 16 solar panels, gigantor solar panels. On the Power Flower (name), it his a thermal receiver, and an electric generator, with a collapsible alcubierre behind it before another computer core.

One transmitter, and it transmits normally. Though, I'm having trouble understanding how much energy is being produced adn transmitted. For instance, it says it has an energy flow of 48645 units. There are 16 solar panels. 778,335 unts of energy in all. I wanna convert that to killowatts, but it says that thats the heat production already.

Well based on my previous post I would say you need about 14k more EC to get a >90% transmission rate.

And the wobble is that all those arms are not strutted.

There are 16 solar panels, gigantor solar panels. On the Power Flower (name), it his a thermal receiver, and an electric generator, with a collapsible alcubierre behind it before another computer core.

Use bigger solar panels and you can get a lot better energy capture for fewer parts. NearFuture mod adds some nice, huge arrays (you can delete all the other parts from the pack from the GameData folder so you're not taking up too much RAM)

What is "radiation". Does it do anything? Can't find any documentation.

Same question. Poor Jeb got 216 (!!!) Sv dose after his Minmuss mission, and he is still alive. It seems that kerbals immune to high G enviroment and high radiation levels 9_6

Same question. Poor Jeb got 216 (!!!) Sv dose after his Minmuss mission, and he is still alive. It seems that kerbals immune to high G enviroment and high radiation levels 9_6

It doesn't do anything currently.

Which was said just two post above the quoted post I might add. :P

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Retrograde and prograde don't really have anything to do with warp drives. When you activate the warp drive, the only thing that changes is your position based upon the vector your ship was facing when activated. You cannot change this vector while the drive is active. When you drop of of warp, your previous velocity vector is still present. Which may be more or less than it was previously relative to your current body of reference. It is not an engine, it does not produce thrust or change your velocity in any way. There was ways to use it to modify your velocity using gravity wells and aerobraking, but the engine itself does nothing more than change your position along an initial vector a fractions of the speed of light.

I think the meat of his issue is that once he activates the drive, the button does not switch to "Deactivate", but just stays on "Activate", and clicking it again makes his speed jump up again by whatever "c" factor is set on the drive. He literally can't drop out of warp.

I need to investigate the excessive rates around Minmus, I'm not really sure why that is occuring at the moment but that will certainly be revised downward by a lot. Minmus is not planned to be particularly radioactive by any measure.

Thanks for the reply, Fractal. It's not that I would necessarily object to having Minmus be a deadly radiation environment, it's just that it was so unusual that I wanted to see if this was intended. I mean, there could be advantages and new challenges to making Minmus a hot potato. It's currently the easiest planet to get resources from and extreme radiation could significantly alter that impression. I guess it might be challenging to explain 5 orders of magnitude difference in rad dose comparing Minmus to the real Moon, though.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the radiation in the end! Good luck!

I think the meat of his issue is that once he activates the drive, the button does not switch to "Deactivate", but just stays on "Activate", and clicking it again makes his speed jump up again by whatever "c" factor is set on the drive. He literally can't drop out of warp.

Has he tried saturating the antimatter injectors with gaseous cryonetrium? Worked for Barclay...

Has he tried saturating the antimatter injectors with gaseous cryonetrium? Worked for Barclay...

I think he tried that but Wesley came in and screwed it all up. Looks like we'll have to call the Traveler.

Well based on my previous post I would say you need about 14k more EC to get a >90% transmission rate.

And the wobble is that all those arms are not strutted.

You're makign me angry. I don't know why your sat isn't transmitting, but even with those 16 gigantors, mine transmitted all energy outwards to wherever. I even received power at an amazing rate from a nearby relay sat!

How else would I be able to power an alcubierre attached to that relay, then plow it into the star which was less than 1 milllion meters away?

Anyway, the arms ARE strutted, and I'm trying to figure out why they are still wobbling....

You're makign me angry. I don't know why your sat isn't transmitting, but even with those 16 gigantors, mine transmitted all energy outwards to wherever. I even received power at an amazing rate from a nearby relay sat!

How else would I be able to power an alcubierre attached to that relay, then plow it into the star which was less than 1 milllion meters away?

Anyway, the arms ARE strutted, and I'm trying to figure out why they are still wobbling....

My sat is transmitting 6GW just fine, I am amazed your transmitting anything with just 1200EC storage. Apparently the small solar panels work differently then the large Kosmos panels.

My sat is transmitting 6GW just fine, I am amazed your transmitting anything with just 1200EC storage. Apparently the small solar panels work differently then the large Kosmos panels.

The big double KOSMOS have two separate modules for power. I think it does weird things with KSP and Interstellar.

HMGUGFRG!!!!! Star Trek References! My childhood!

Childhood? I'm offended, I'm sitting here watching TNG this very moment :P

When you're using ElectricCharge from solar panels instead of Interstellar generators, making sure you have plenty of batteries on your transmitter craft is absolutely essential.

I just got back into KSP after a few months of not playing. Fresh install of the game and this is the first mod I have installed. It is crashing as soon as it starts on this mod. Here is a snipet of the log on where the crash occurs. It is somewhere within the WarpPlugin. Folder structure is as follows /KSP/GameData/WarpPlugin -- etc for the other 2 parts of this mod.

PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'Squad/Spaces/PodCockpit/internal/PodCockpit'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'WarpPlugin/Spaces/sci/internal/crewtestInternals'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Shader 'AtmosphereFromGround': fallback shader 'None' not found

d3d: failed to create vertex buffer of size 2214816 [out of memory]

[Kethane] Saving settings

UnloadTime: 9.281568 ms

Unsupported: Hidden/Internal-Flare

Crash!!!

ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'The operation completed successfully.' (Address: 00000000)

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'The operation completed successfully.' (Address: 00000000)

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****