[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

In my game (and everyone's maybe) the 2.5m and 1.25m plasma thruster have the same weight and most if not all of the same stats. Is that intentional?

I changed it in the latest version, previously they were identical stats wise so the difference was purely cosmetic. Making one lighter would've made it a no brainer to choose.

In the latest version (0.7.1) I capped the power draw of both of them (still at very high values) so there is some functional difference. Now the smaller one is mass 1. Update to 0.7.1 and you should see the difference!

I think im stuck with a concept problem. I made a big Sollar Panel station (about 26 big panels if im not mistaken) with a transmitter.

A minor glitch is that sometimes you need to switch to another ship, or back to tracking, in order for the transmition to start, but anyway.

The, i guess, design problem im having is when i add one plasma engine, along with 1 generator+1 reactor for the engine to work. While the station itself with the energy from the panels transmits about 380.MW , when the engine set is docked it can only transmit the 8xx.Mw im getting from the generator.

So basically i thought it would transmit the one from the panels and either add the spare energy from the generator (for a total of 12xx.MW or so), or dont use nothing from the generator at all.

Am i missing something in my design concept, or is it something with the mod functionality that can only work that way?

Ah! and btw, now that you probably made some alterations to the animations of the rad panels etc, this time their animation starts from deployed (they are in the retracted "function" state though). Could that mess things up when you try to launch a ship covered in shrouds-struts or whatnot?. At least with the procedural fairings mod theres no problem, since they dont use a collider in the fairings themselves, and they just pass through :sticktongue:.

At least with the procedural fairings mod theres no problem, since they dont use a collider in the fairings themselves, and they just pass through

It's didn't matter, parts of same crafts didn't collide with each other anyway, it always will pass through.

I'm guessing you probably don't have a connection between your science lab and the oxidiser tank, it has to follow exactly the same rules in terms of fuel crossfeed components and fuel lines as fuel going to an engine. If you need to add fuel lines, the fuel line needs to go from the tank to the science lab - because the science lab is creating something the fuel lines go the opposite way than they would with engines.

Hope that helps.

Capsule -> 1.25m Generator w/2 small radiators -> 1.25m Reactor -> Science Lab -> Aluminum hybrid engine-> 4 legs. Are extra fuel lines or a separate oxidizer tank needed to refuel a hybrid engine attached directly to the lab?

Good tip about the direction of fuel lines. I wouldn't have thought about reversing them, but as you can see my test rocket was pretty simple.

So science labs work now? I mean you just have to go to them if you want the science to be registered did I get that right? Also do I need to redownload the mod now or....? Btw erm if you want I might find some time to improve some of the models like the lithium tank and such, I mean they are pretty good as they are now but I guess I could try to improve them.

So science labs work now? I mean you just have to go to them if you want the science to be registered did I get that right? Also do I need to redownload the mod now or....? Btw erm if you want I might find some time to improve some of the models like the lithium tank and such, I mean they are pretty good as they are now but I guess I could try to improve them.

Yep, just go back to the science lab and all the science that you would have had between now and the last time you looked at it will be retroactively added.

You will need to redownload and install the mod if you're still running 0.7. It'd be a good idea to update before switching to your science labs because 0.7.1 will remember the science you generated in 0.7 that way.

As for the models, I make it a policy never to turn down modelling help :)

Ummmmm ZZZ or Factal if you know?

Whats the base color on your parts? I am trying to retexture a part I made for personal use to match them, but I cant get a sample to work from any where.

I tried screenshots in the assembly building, but lighting messes that up, and before that I tried to get the color from the textures themselfs, but I cant extrapolate it from a difuse map.

:/

Sorry if this is asking too much.

Some of the ion type engines give no thrust and also something needs to be done about attacking struts to the reactor becuase it doesnt let you and in flight everything wables and falls off ive tried everything to strengthen the design nothing works.

Capsule -> 1.25m Generator w/2 small radiators -> 1.25m Reactor -> Science Lab -> Aluminum hybrid engine-> 4 legs. Are extra fuel lines or a separate oxidizer tank needed to refuel a hybrid engine attached directly to the lab?

Good tip about the direction of fuel lines. I wouldn't have thought about reversing them, but as you can see my test rocket was pretty simple.

I built a copy of your design to see if I could find anything wrong. It works fine for me.

I'll post a picture, is there anything really different about your design to mine?

TDsoyt5.jpg

Some of the ion type engines give no thrust

The plasma engines all need generators+reactors or microwave beamed power to provide thrust, you can't power them with solar panels. They need too much energy.

and also something needs to be done about attacking struts to the reactor becuase it doesnt let you and in flight everything wables and falls off ive tried everything to strengthen the design nothing works.

You can attach struts from another part to a reactor, you just can't start the strut on the reactor itself. Try strutting the other way.

I will add the option to attach things radially once new reactor models are done. That's why the 1.25m reactor has the option but the other ones don't.

I built a copy of your design to see if I could find anything wrong. It works fine for me.

I'll post a picture, is there anything really different about your design to mine?

TDsoyt5.jpg

The plasma engines all need generators+reactors or microwave beamed power to provide thrust, you can't power them with solar panels. They need too much energy.

You can attach struts from another part to a reactor, you just can't start the strut on the reactor itself. Try strutting the other way.

I will add the option to attach things radially once new reactor models are done. That's why the 1.25m reactor has the option but the other ones don't.

i know but it still only gives 1kn of thrust i even tried changing the thrust in the config file an where ever i put the struts it woobles everyting is go big.

i know but it still only gives 1kn of thrust i even tried changing the thrust in the config file an where ever i put the struts it woobles everyting is go big.

The plasma thrusters require a LOT of power to give any usable thrust. With standard reactors, you usually can't get enough power to do anything useful. You either need AM reactors, or to be in space (where you can do long burns, rather than big burns).

I tried screenshots in the assembly building, but lighting messes that up, and before that I tried to get the color from the textures themselfs, but I cant extrapolate it from a difuse map.

What the problem with colorpicking from diffuse? Color is not very constant actually, I'm not very accurate, sometimes little brighter, sometimes more blue in it. Try something like 151 151 152 or 142 143 145.

Edited by zzz

can you get the science lab in career mode with the latest update? if so where do you find it because i cant seem to find it on the tech tree and i have the selected the mod tree to go with this mod

Yep, just go back to the science lab and all the science that you would have had between now and the last time you looked at it will be retroactively added.

You will need to redownload and install the mod if you're still running 0.7. It'd be a good idea to update before switching to your science labs because 0.7.1 will remember the science you generated in 0.7 that way.

As for the models, I make it a policy never to turn down modelling help :)

Great :) I'll see what I can do however I can't promise too much due to the fact that I am time constraint here because of college and my upcoming drivers license test but will see what I can do in the spare time :D

Bug report: I switched to my Moho - Eve orbiting lab complex, and immediately after switching to it, the screen went black and the altitude display rolled very, very rapidly. Unfortunately I forgot to keep the log file. Funny thing is, with the courageous sacrifice of 12 kerbals astronauts onboard, I now have NaN Science points, and I was able to unlock everything in the tree which I had not yet researched...

Krakenspeed, Jebediah!

so.. is using the KSP interstellar tree from treeloader required to get those upgrades? or could we use another tree if it seemed like a 'better' tiered one?

Yes, you can use a different tech tree but I'd recommend against it. The parts will work and be added instead to default stock nodes but these nodes are vastly cheaper to research than my nodes, so the balance won't be the same. Also, while not using my tech tree, automatic upgrades of parts will not be possible meaning you'll never get the upgraded nuclear reactors, upgraded antimatter reactors or the upgraded plasma thruster. There is simply nowhere to put these on the stock tree.

is there a chance to use the "solid core" nuclear reactor even after invetion the gas-core one on new vessels?

It's not currently possible, why would you want to? I can't see any way that the gas core version isn't just better?

Bug report: I switched to my Moho - Eve orbiting lab complex, and immediately after switching to it, the screen went black and the altitude display rolled very, very rapidly. Unfortunately I forgot to keep the log file. Funny thing is, with the courageous sacrifice of 12 kerbals astronauts onboard, I now have NaN Science points, and I was able to unlock everything in the tree which I had not yet researched...

Any way you can reload and try and make it happen again? I really need a log file or I can't know if the bug is even an Interstellar bug, nevermind how to fix it. For now, the only thing I can do is add in code to make sure that science is never updated by an NaN value.