[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

m4G8Wejl.jpg

This vessel has 1xtransmitter, 1x3.75m generator, 1x3.75m antimatter reactor (offline) and 5x3.75m nuclear reactors.

All thermal sources on this vessel produce enough thermal power to generate that 32 GW of electric power but single generator is only attached to single antimatter offline reactor. Thermal receiver doesn't really matter here, it just adds more power.

Is this going to be changed in next version?

In 0.8.1 having more then 1 gen/reactor stacked would not always work, when 0.8.2 came out you could finally stack reactor/gens and they would work, I had not tried multiple reactors and 1 gen. Technically if all the reactors are attached in series it would be possible to transfer the thermal energy. Not sure if Fractal_UK is leaning that way thou.

Another problem is that MechJeb totally can't seem to be able to estimate the thrust of plasma engines during flight and if I set up a maneuver it's executed instantly instead of at desired time.

This vessel has 1xtransmitter, 1x3.75m generator, 1x3.75m antimatter reactor (offline) and 5x3.75m nuclear reactors.

All thermal sources on this vessel produce enough thermal power to generate that 32 GW of electric power but single generator is only attached to single antimatter offline reactor. Thermal receiver doesn't really matter here, it just adds more power.

Is this going to be changed in next version?

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the fact the AM reactor is off, since that is the one that the gen is directly attached to. With the AM off, the heat from the fission reactors may not flow properly to the gen. Fractal will have to confirm this though. Did you try turning the AM on?

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the fact the AM reactor is off, since that is the one that the gen is directly attached to. With the AM off, the heat from the fission reactors may not flow properly to the gen. Fractal will have to confirm this though. Did you try turning the AM on?

It has nothing to do with AM being off, Transmitter simply tries to get as much megajoules from resource manager as AM reactor max output - it being on/off doesn't matter. If other parts can supply the Mega joules it will work just as AM reactor would do this.

I have a question about waste heat with the basic solar panels that do not extend, just flat on the side.

I made a probe and sent it out to Kerbin Synchronous orbit, eventually it built up waste heat to maximum from sitting in the sun light, but nothing has happened.

Should the probe shut down when waste heat is filled to the max? Or am I misunderstanding how the waste heat system works? I tried searching the forums, but I could not find a good explanation of how it is supposed to work.

The plugin is setup to close any deploy-able panels once waste heat goes high enough, but since you cant close those panels it will be stuck like that. Im sure Fractal_UK has thought up a few ways to break craft once this happens. Maybe deploy Kraken bait after 5 minutes or something :P

Another problem is that MechJeb totally can't seem to be able to estimate the thrust of plasma engines during flight and if I set up a maneuver it's executed instantly instead of at desired time.

It should work after you have throttled up the engine a touch after loading the spacecraft.

As for the generator issue, it just requires the generator to detect if the reactor is on or off before deciding to supply power. I'll put it in the next update.

It should work after you have throttled up the engine a touch after loading the spacecraft.

It doesn't help, I'm in space turn on/off engine, set up node with T-1d, press execute next node and instead of warping that day it executes the node immediately and set throttle to 100%

As for the generator issue, it just requires the generator to detect if the reactor is on or off before deciding to supply power. I'll put it in the next update.

This won't solve this problem, reactor can be online but it can be deprived of antimatter thus producing zero power or 0.00001% if I add one AM collector for example.

Edited by Myrten

This won't solve this problem, reactor can be online but it can be deprived of antimatter thus producing zero power or 0.00001% if I add one AM collector for example.

You're right but it does make a difference to the other reactor types. A more universal change is a lot of work for what is a very low priority issue now that the reception of thermal power from your ship is fixed and the only effect it has is to make things marginally easier, unless I'm missing something. If I come up with something better I'll include it but there are other things I need to give my attention to more at this point. I will deal with it fully as soon as I can.

Command module in spaceship powered by 2 nuclear engines receives 1 mSv/h - it's quite significant dose.

Indeed, they could hit the 1 Sv career dose limit in just over a month (which I guess is four kerbal months? something like that). Perhaps you shouldn't park in the middle of a radiation belt? :D

Fractal_UK: we ought to have a science payload for measuring radiation, so we can plan ahead for these sorts of things.

How do you switch fuels in the nuclear reactor? I can't find a way to do it.

See https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Reactors, but basically you eva and do a manual shutdown, then wait for the most dangerous daughter products to themselves decay away (a 9hr half-life), then you can refuel or swap fuels. Make sure you have enough room to put the uranium after it comes out of the reactor; the larger reactors need more than one tank's worth of space.

The plugin is setup to close any deploy-able panels once waste heat goes high enough, but since you cant close those panels it will be stuck like that. Im sure Fractal_UK has thought up a few ways to break craft once this happens. Maybe deploy Kraken bait after 5 minutes or something :P

I left it go for a few minutes on a very high time warp, still worked fine. I hope that they can be shutdown when the over heat in an update.

at 100X warp, the resourse bar shows 120 units of spending, but at 1000X it changes to -10865something and wasteHeat starts acumulating.

Post the ship teohoch.

Also guys, unupgraded nukes do fly... barely...

I put some fuel tanks in the cargo buy, it flies just fine without them lol.

CisTbLT.png

Decided to dump the fuel tanks to lighten the load :P

Bn8EaAO.png

Edited by Donziboy2

Also, you should add some radiation shielding or something, perhaps certain cockpits/science bays have additional radiation shielding for longer-term use?

Actually radiation shielding is "automatically generated" - you will see that if you EVA a Kerbal, the radiation count displayed on their EVA suit will be much higher than occurs inside a command module. All the modules have different radiation resistances that are determined by their mass and the number of Kerbals they carry. I will make this number visible in the VAB before I add any radiation hazards.

In the future, I will add a contained plasma radiation shield (a diffuse plasma surrounding your ship, contained in magnetic field) which will provide almost perfect protection against charged particles but zero protection against neutral particles (e.g. neutrons from a nearby DT Vista).

I'm getting some serious problems with this. The parts all seem to import properly and all their stats are visible, animations certainly work, but functionality is completely borked. My staging becomes inoperable, engines refuse to generate thrust, my navball is messed up, reverting crashes the game, my crew aren't shown on manned vessels, etc. etc. etc. This was the case with the previous version as well, the only other mod I'm running is Universe Replacer.

I'm getting some serious problems with this. The parts all seem to import properly and all their stats are visible, animations certainly work, but functionality is completely borked. My staging becomes inoperable, engines refuse to generate thrust, my navball is messed up, reverting crashes the game, my crew aren't shown on manned vessels, etc. etc. etc. This was the case with the previous version as well, the only other mod I'm running is Universe Replacer.

I'd guess this is an installation issue, check your [KSP]/GameData folder and make sure the WarpPlugin, TreeLoader, HexCans are in that folder; not inside any other folders. If the directory structure isn't right, you will have lots of bizarre problems.

I'd guess this is an installation issue, check your [KSP]/GameData folder and make sure the WarpPlugin, TreeLoader, HexCans are in that folder; not inside any other folders. If the directory structure isn't right, you will have lots of bizarre problems.

All three are properly inside the GameData folder, per the included installation instructions.

I'm going to need more information, do you actually have some power draw that the generator needs to provide power for? Is the nuclear reactor working? Have parts shut down due to overheating or something?

The Nuclear reactor works perfectly and is connected directly to the Electric Generator. When I Launch the vessel from the SPH for testing, I usually check the reactor bay if the both are online, and the display says that both the Reactor and the Generator are up even though the Reactor's not producing ThermalPower when the the Generator is on. And when I do shut the Electric Generator off, that's when the Nuclear reactor starts producing ThermalPower. And nope, the reactor didn't overheat.

Here's a photo of the actual vessel with the info display for the engine block:

1k7VrOQ.jpg