[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

The solar power part, however, contains the inv_square_mult because it is designed to scale the energy that will be stored in the microwave persistence code to what it would be at Kerbin orbit. That is why dividing by the inv_square_mult is giving you a smaller value. This is because there is no guarantee that the satellite will be at the same place, in the future, as it was when you turned the transmitter on so Kerbin is used as a common reference point and the receiver will scale the energy based on the transmitter's current position.

That'd be a great thing to put into the code as a comment. :)

The curve is updated every frame at the same time as the WasteHeat display.

Then it's really strange, now it started working for me but still doesn't work for Donziboy2...

You can see in my picture on the previous code that 4 solar panels are working correctly in terms of energy production. Can you try an install of just the base plugin dll and see if it works properly then?

I've re-installed 0.821 from scratch and I still only get this problem. I've examined it further

With single panel deployed Beamed power and Electric Charge fluctuates like crazy between 0 and 36 MW

o3mMNUBl.pngmLKK4u6l.png

With two panels it's 48 MW.

y9iTUOAl.jpg

When I deploy third panel for a second it goes up above 50 MW but almost immediately goes back to 48 as Electric Charge is depleted.

Maybe electric charge production follows old curve? Edit: I've checked this and this problem doesn't occur on launchpad

Edited by Myrten

I've re-installed 0.821 from scratch and I still only get power from single panel transmitted.

Have you tested this with more than the one craft? I've just re-checked the code and there is nothing wrong with the way it is checking multiple panels. I can't see any reason why only one panel's power would be transmitted and it works perfectly when I test it. Here is another one on the launchpad

18KW * 6 panels = 108KW transmitted. Works perfectly.

MwWAJ87.jpg

Have you tested this with more than the one craft? I've just re-checked the code and there is nothing wrong with the way it is checking multiple panels. I can't see any reason why only one panel's power would be transmitted and it works perfectly when I test it. Here is another one on the launchpad

18KW * 6 panels = 108KW transmitted. Works perfectly.

The same vessel model which bugs near Sun works perfectly fine on launchpad, check my edited post.

gnqXLrzl.jpg

Edited by Myrten

Something interesting

I've changed this

displayed_solar_power += spower / TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime;

into

displayed_solar_power += output ;

Now it actually displays combined value like it should:

hSiP4c6l.jpg

Conclusion of this is that Solar Panels does not produce enough electric power for transmitter to be able to send their output. This would also explain why waste heat is produced properly.

Edited by Myrten

I seem to have had some success with stock panels... I had to add some really large batteries lol.

The transmitter power is not very stable, it bounces around in the 20-25MW range...

YCgwQyg.png

The massive 400ec/s Balka's are broken, but the 200ec/s halve Balka's work just fine!!!! The output is bouncing between like 71 and 145MW, maybe smooth it out some more Fractal_UK?

gD8C6Zt.png

Edited by Donziboy2

Something is really weird here...

I've removed all my today's changes (made after discovering initial bug so it's not their fault) to transmitter code and recompiled it, launched game again and it seems to be working now (maybe vessel has to be leaved and re-activated for new curve to work???), but there is another bug...

qCXhyLrl.jpgQPJ3fcjl.jpg

Beamed power is equal to flow of single panel only instead of their sum.... But on the other hand generated waste heat is correct...

Try spacing your panels out for this one, I had a similar problem dismorning, turning my craft around solved it since the other side had no protrusions.

Something interesting

I've changed this

displayed_solar_power += spower / TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime;

into

displayed_solar_power += output ;

Now it actually displays combined value like it should:

Conclusion of this is that Solar Panels does not produce enough electric power for transmitter to be able to send their output. This would also explain why waste heat is produced properly.

The problem you are experiencing here is the fundamental terribleness of the stock KSP resource system. You only have 1235 units of ElectricCharge storage on your ship, so whenever a part.RequestResource() comes in that has a value greater than 1235 (either supply or demand!), it will return 0. There is nothing I can do about this - this is the whole reason almost everything power related in the mod uses my own Megajoules resource rather than ElectricCharge.

Put a lot more batteries on your satellite and it will work.

hi! I have a problem with my electrics generators. When i use the sandbox mode, my electric generator have 57% energy efficiency and when i use my career mode i have 10% energy efficiency (on the lauch pad test), furthermore i have to use the warp time in order to have the efficiency goes up to 47% max.

(warp x10: 10% energy efficiency) (warp time x50: 47% efficiency) (i can't have 57% efficiency like the sandbox mode)

It should be made clear, i have the experiental electric science and my upgrade electric generator was done. (i have the lastest version: the 0.8.2.1)

So my question: it's normal perfs or it's a bug?

Thx in advance for the answer and sorry for my bad english level ;)

The problem you are experiencing here is the fundamental terribleness of the stock KSP resource system. You only have 1235 units of ElectricCharge storage on your ship, so whenever a part.RequestResource() comes in that has a value greater than 1235 (either supply or demand!), it will return 0. There is nothing I can do about this - this is the whole reason almost everything power related in the mod uses my own Megajoules resource rather than ElectricCharge.

I ran into this problem just now, my 1.1GW sat was transmitting 50MW, so I added NFPP batteries and it went up. :)

tx7YhLql.jpg

It seems to be working now, although electric charge still fluctuates a bit all the time.

Another thing is that from gameplay perspective it's not worth the effort at all, putting satellite on low Sun orbit requires a lot of DeltaV but it would take hundreds of stock panels to even match simple nuclear reactor.

Compare this to putting vessel with multiple AM collectors on Jool which is much easier because we can warp&aerobrake. Single AM collector's output at optimal Jool's orbit can be converted to ~734MW of power.

Edited by Myrten

tx7YhLql.jpg

It seems to be working now, although electric charge still fluctuates a bit all the time.

Another thing is that from gameplay perspective it's not worth the effort at all, putting satellite on low Sun orbit requires a lot of DeltaV but it would take hundreds of stock panels to even match simple nuclear reactor.

Compare this to putting vessel with multiple AM collectors on Jool which is much easier because we can warp&aerobrake. Single AM collector's output at optimal Jool's orbit can be converted to ~734MW of power.

I think once we start having to pay for everything normal rocket fuel will be far cheaper then an Antimatter reactor....

I think once we start having to pay for everything normal rocket fuel will be far cheaper then an Antimatter reactor....

It's gargantuan amounts of rocket fuel you are talking about so it's a good question what is cheaper :D

BTW

Can anyone explain this?

Generator produces more electric power then reactor's thermal power (all receivers are turned off)

AjI7bYy.jpg

Hi, I think I broke something... Today I installed B9 aerospace and tried to make an ssto carrier, but there is something wrong with my fusion reactors. They were functioning just fine before the B9 install, so the problem might there...

Anyway, the reactors work when I switch them on (Active at 30%), but when I fire the engines this happens:

chcYcat.png

C3f9ldq.png

It's sad if I have to get rid of the B9 to get it working again because it's really good-looking mod. :(

hi! I have a problem with my electrics generators. When i use the sandbox mode, my electric generator have 57% energy efficiency and when i use my career mode i have 10% energy efficiency (on the lauch pad test), furthermore i have to use the warp time in order to have the efficiency goes up to 47% max.

(warp x10: 10% energy efficiency) (warp time x50: 47% efficiency) (i can't have 57% efficiency like the sandbox mode)

It should be made clear, i have the experiental electric science and my upgrade electric generator was done. (i have the lastest version: the 0.8.2.1)

So my question: it's normal perfs or it's a bug?

Thx in advance for the answer and sorry for my bad english level ;)

In sandbox mode, all of the technologies are upgraded by default. You need to get quite a lot of technology advancements before the generators upgrade in career mode, that is why you are seeing different efficiencies. With the basic generator, it's not possible to get more than 24% efficiency. The upgrade makes them up to 60% efficient, you can see why the techs upgrade in the first page of this thread or on the Wiki.

Radiators and reactors can also change efficiency, ideally, you want reactors to be high temperature and you want your radiators to be capable of dissipating lots of heat but only doing a fraction of it so they are lower temperature.

Hi, I think I broke something... Today I installed B9 aerospace and tried to make an ssto carrier, but there is something wrong with my fusion reactors. They were functioning just fine before the B9 install, so the problem might there...

Anyway, the reactors work when I switch them on (Active at 30%), but when I fire the engines this happens:

It's sad if I have to get rid of the B9 to get it working again because it's really good-looking mod. :(

The problem is: fusion reactors need some electrical power to run the laser that heats the fusion fuel. You have no generator, so the fusion reactor is stopping. Add a generator to at least one of your reactors and it will work fine.

Good news in version 0.9 for people who play with MechJeb:

In version 0.9, you will be able to see thrust and delta-v stats for all thermal rockets in the VAB as well as in flight, I'm certain this will help you plan your missions more effectively.

The thrust performance of many of these engines is difficult to predict and does vary on conditions on flight, which is why this feature was tricky to include and has been so long coming, I can't guarantee that you will get exactly the figure shown in the VAB but in 99.9% of cases, the numbers will be correct.

The VAB predictions do, of course, take into account factors like reactor upgrades that massively swing performance.

Hey Fractal,

I seem to have identified a conflict between your warp plugin and Bobcat's Soviet pack. The issue in question is while I have KSP loaded with your DLL, Bobcat's Soyuz and Soyuz TMA decent modules glitch and do not respond to physics. The rest of the launch vehicle functions fine and stages but the Soyuz DM remains fixed in place as if held by great force. The module does not roll or respond to any input. There is also a graphical glitch where the DM is something like six inches to high compared to everything attached to it.

I haven't seen this with any other probe body or CM from any other mod and when I remove the WarpPlugin.dll, the Soyuz DMs function properly. I of course loose the function of your mod which is an issue for me. I have searched both the forums here and the internet and have seen no similar issue reported anywhere I looked. Again, the issue seems confined to only these two parts from Bobcat and your Dll.

If you or anyone on this forum knows of a solution, fix or where I went wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Fred.

Enclosed is a screenshot of my current addon directory.

KSP-Addon-Directory-131213.png

I can't seem to upgrade parts, i have everything needed and the tech for it but i can't even store the science research from the lab anywhere? what am i doing wrong? I want to upgrade the 3.75m electric generator but it still cannot store science even though i have the experimental electrics tech

Hey guys, I checked but couldn't find any info on this, but how do you transfer uranium/thorium from tank to tank? I tried the usual right click on each tank method, but the option isn't there. I also got a Kerbal near one of the tanks (touching, centre of it) and no EVA option presented itself to move the fuel.

Is it possible to transfer fuel out of uranium tanks, so I can mine some, deliver to a station and land again without all that mass?

Hey guys, I checked but couldn't find any info on this, but how do you transfer uranium/thorium from tank to tank? I tried the usual right click on each tank method, but the option isn't there. I also got a Kerbal near one of the tanks (touching, centre of it) and no EVA option presented itself to move the fuel.

Is it possible to transfer fuel out of uranium tanks, so I can mine some, deliver to a station and land again without all that mass?

TAC Fuel Balancer. Otherwise there should be an option when on EVA to 'Swap Fuel'. That will need to be clicked even if using TAC Fuel Balancer. And you'll need to wait 3 days for the reactor to cool down before you can swap fuel after a shutdown. The option won't appear until all decay heat is gone.

TAC Fuel Balancer. Otherwise there should be an option when on EVA to 'Swap Fuel'. That will need to be clicked even if using TAC Fuel Balancer. And you'll need to wait 3 days for the reactor to cool down before you can swap fuel after a shutdown. The option won't appear until all decay heat is gone.

I'm aware of how to do it with a reactor, that works fine as you describe, but tank to tank - no options appear when I put a Kerbal near a tank. Unless I need TAC Fuel Balancer to move UF4/THF4 between tanks? Is that intended or just a current todo thing?

Uranium and Thorium can't be pumped tank to tank. If you shut down your reactor and wait 3 days, the decay heating subsides so that you can refuel/change fuels for your reactor. As for transferring to a station, you're probably better off using detachable resupply modules.

I seem to have identified a conflict between your warp plugin and Bobcat's Soviet pack. The issue in question is while I have KSP loaded with your DLL, Bobcat's Soyuz and Soyuz TMA decent modules glitch and do not respond to physics. The rest of the launch vehicle functions fine and stages but the Soyuz DM remains fixed in place as if held by great force. The module does not roll or respond to any input. There is also a graphical glitch where the DM is something like six inches to high compared to everything attached to it.

I haven't seen this with any other probe body or CM from any other mod and when I remove the WarpPlugin.dll, the Soyuz DMs function properly. I of course loose the function of your mod which is an issue for me. I have searched both the forums here and the internet and have seen no similar issue reported anywhere I looked. Again, the issue seems confined to only these two parts from Bobcat and your Dll.

If you or anyone on this forum knows of a solution, fix or where I went wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm fairly sure this is the same problem that someone discovered with regard to another mod in the previous page. The fix should be in the next update.

I can't seem to upgrade parts, i have everything needed and the tech for it but i can't even store the science research from the lab anywhere? what am i doing wrong? I want to upgrade the 3.75m electric generator but it still cannot store science even though i have the experimental electrics tech

Generally you don't need to upgrade parts - they upgrade automatically and that's probably what's happening to you. Only parts that are leftover in space need to be upgraded, new parts will be automatically upgraded in the VAB.