[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi guys!

I've got a problem. Running Interstellar on 0.23 and I dont have any options in kerbal's context menus. Like "make EVA report" or "take a sample". Instead of those buttons, I have a temperature of a kerbal! Anyone knows how to fix this?

A kerbal with a temperature?! Maybe you have a Reentry problem?

Where in the tech tree do i get the DT Vista Inertial Fusion Engine? Is it Fusion Power? If so, i don't see it.

It's in Advanced Fusion Power (the second fusion power tech node) now. This is because it represents a significant improvement over the basic fusion engines in terms of capabilities and so needed to be pushed slightly later in the tree.

Hmm, seems the 1.25m thermal turbojets (pre-upgrade) are unable to use IntakeAir. Anytime I toggle them to it, their thrust immediately becomes 0, regardless of throttle setting. For this test, I'm using primarily B9 Aerospace parts, mixed with stock and KSPI. The intakes are the large jet engine intakes from B9 (grey, look almost like they belong on an F-86 Sabre). While flying, they are providing both IntakeAir and IntakeAtm. I want to switch to the IntakeAir as it's reading twice as high as the IntakeAtm (0.2 vs 0.1).

It's in Advanced Fusion Power (the second fusion power tech node) now. This is because it represents a significant improvement over the basic fusion engines in terms of capabilities and so needed to be pushed slightly later in the tree.

Ahh ok. Was looking at the wiki and saw it was labeled in fusion power so i thought it was a bug but thanks for the help.

You can't have a satellite in GEO over a pole. It would have to be a statite, and would expend a mountain of delta-v every day to stay there. O.o You could have a geosynchronous satellite though. Is that what you mean?

As for getting things in the right position, take a look at my sig.

I forgot to mention that I sent you a p.m. regarding your tutorial.

HELP!!! I've got a craft landed on one of Duna's ice caps, and i have an inline refinery and a nuclear reactor+electrical generator. I can turn on the refinery and use the water electrolysis option, and it draw megajoules from my generator, but nothing happens! I don't get any fuel! I have a liquid engine, and unless i can refuel it i can't get back home since i only have 10% fuel left. My refinery is attached directly to my liquid fuel tank, but no matter how long i run the electrolysis option i don't get any fuel.

Interstellar 0.11.

My orbiting power station, which has couple of sizes of fusion reactor, and a small fission reactor, has run out of fuel. Well, stopped working. Each fusion reactor has NaN/100 Deuterium and Tritium. The bar is full; but I can't transfer any fuel in (NaN+100 = NaN, so that's not surprising).

The Error console has lots of:

[Error]: Body::setMass: mass is -1.#IND00, should be positive!

W=hich may or may not be relevent.

Interstellar 0.11.

My orbiting power station, which has couple of sizes of fusion reactor, and a small fission reactor, has run out of fuel. Well, stopped working. Each fusion reactor has NaN/100 Deuterium and Tritium. The bar is full; but I can't transfer any fuel in (NaN+100 = NaN, so that's not surprising).

Never heard of that one before so it must take an unusual set of circumstances to produce, can you provide any more info on how that occurred?

The Error console has lots of:

[Error]: Body::setMass: mass is -1.#IND00, should be positive!

W=hich may or may not be relevent.

It isn't a cause, rather a result. I suspect the game can't calculate the vessel mass while there is an NaN resource. I'd recommend editing your safe file to set the resource amount to 0 instead. That should restore everything to its normal expected behaviour.

Mr Manley asked me to "fix" this issue. I'm kind of limited by the stock resource system when dealing with ElectricCharge but I've managed to come up with a fairly successful fudge - it means that when the ElectricCharge bar is full, all the excess power is converted into Megajoules.

The result is that you can now use solar panels to power engines and stuff directly, albeit, of course, with poxy levels of power.

http://i.imgur.com/QpYm0Am.png

With this change, I wonder if it's possible to use Near Future capacitors to dump electric charge that was stored-up over a long period of time from capacitors into MJ. It would mean we could use something like a pile of solar panels to gather lots of energy over time, and then use it all for a quick but powerful burn for an orbital manoeuvre. It'd definitely make plasma thrusters way, way more viable. As it is I kinda have no clue what they're doing so early in the tech tree. When I got them, I looked at them and realized I didn't have a hope at all of powering them. The stock ion drive would be better.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Never heard of that one before so it must take an unusual set of circumstances to produce, can you provide any more info on how that occurred?

Nothing springs to mind. Looking at the craft, its fission reactor is out of fuel (though at 0/100, rather than NaN) and cooling, so that must have recently run out. I've not been paying it any attention, and that'll have happened during a time accelerated interplanetary transfer.

I could probably load up an old save and compare, and run it forward; though if it's anything like software testing at work, nothing untoward will happen.

I'd recommend editing your safe file to set the resource amount to 0 instead. That should restore everything to its normal expected behaviour.

Will do.

With this change, I wonder if it's possible to use Near Future capacitors to dump electric charge that was stored-up over a long period of time from capacitors into MJ. It would mean we could use something like a pile of solar panels to gather lots of energy over time, and then use it all for a quick but powerful burn for an orbital manoeuvre. It'd definitely make plasma thrusters way, way more viable. As it is I kinda have no clue what they're doing so early in the tech tree. When I got them, I looked at them and realized I didn't have a hope at all of powering them. The stock ion drive would be better.

They appear alongside the nuclear reactors and generators at that kind of tech level. It's the logical place for them to be, even if they aren't always the most viable engines with that technology.

The stock ion engines are a total anomaly, the recent changes that increased their thrust and reduced their power requirements just made them even more silly. Since I've been doing a total code redesign on the electric engines and have added the capability of using solar power to power engines directly, I'm inclined to bring the ions into line with this new system. That would see a continuum of electric engines from the high thrust/low ISP arcjet to the low thrust/high ISP ion engine (probably loosely based on the DS4G being developed by ESA) with the MPD sitting in the middle. Such changes are entirely theoretical at this stage, I haven't done any testing on the viability of them but it appeals to my desire for greater verisimilitude.

Hm. Perhaps.

You didn't release the change I mentioned in my post yet, did you? I tried the capacitors to see if they'd dump to MJ and nope. But then again, it doesn't seem EC is getting converted at all.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Hm. Perhaps.

You didn't release the change I mentioned in my post yet, did you? I tried the capacitors to see if they'd dump to MJ and nope. But then again, it doesn't seem EC is getting converted at all.

No and it's not a general change, there is no realistic way to convert EC into MJ in any catch-all sense. The only thing I can do is alter certain modules, like the solar panels, to produce MJ under particular conditions - namely when the EC bar is full.

Ahhhh. Unfortunate.

Another question...more general I suppose. Is there any practical use for He3? I can't think of one. Not after reading the wiki. Since it can't be created in the VAB (all the tanks start empty), that means something like...what was the example the wiki used? Two years of in-game time doing tritium breeding with a pile of 3.75m fission reactors on tritium breeding to produce all of, what, five or so units of He3? And all that with the ship needing to be active too, or it won't produce any He3, just tritium? That just...that's crazy. Why bother if you're going to burn through all that He3 in far, far, far shorter time?

But hell, I don't even clearly understand how to get from point A to H along this line of fission and fusion reactors. I know tritium can be created in the VAB. So...what, should I create a single ship with an absolutely unwieldy amount of tritium (like, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of the default containers), put it in orbit (or maybe next to the KSC's VAB), and just wait? The part count would be crazy.

Edit: Yup. Even that would have to be in focus the entire time. How could anyone build-up a supply of He3 and also play the game? The wiki says "if you have a supply" it makes for good energy production, but I'm at a complete loss as to any sort of efficient way to get to that point. From the sound of it, He3 is actually many orders of magnitude harder to obtain than antimatter. One could argue that Jool provides He3 in the atmosphere but if you're out there anyway, why not just put a pile of collectors in orbit and get hold of lots and lots of antimatter, in a much shorter time?

Edited by phoenix_ca

Ahhhh. Unfortunate.

Another question...more general I suppose. Is there any practical use for He3? I can't think of one. Not after reading the wiki. Since it can't be created in the VAB (all the tanks start empty), that means something like...what was the example the wiki used? Two years of in-game time doing tritium breeding with a pile of 3.75m fission reactors on tritium breeding to produce all of, what, five or so units of He3? And all that with the ship needing to be active too, or it won't produce any He3, just tritium? That just...that's crazy. Why bother if you're going to burn through all that He3 in far, far, far shorter time?

But hell, I don't even clearly understand how to get from point A to H along this line of fission and fusion reactors. I know tritium can be created in the VAB. So...what, should I create a single ship with an absolutely unwieldy amount of tritium (like, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of the default containers), put it in orbit (or maybe next to the KSC's VAB), and just wait? The part count would be crazy.

Edit: Yup. Even that would have to be in focus the entire time. How could anyone build-up a supply of He3 and also play the game? The wiki says "if you have a supply" it makes for good energy production, but I'm at a complete loss as to any sort of efficient way to get to that point. From the sound of it, He3 is actually many orders of magnitude harder to obtain than antimatter. One could argue that Jool provides He3 in the atmosphere but if you're out there anyway, why not just put a pile of collectors in orbit and get hold of lots and lots of antimatter, in a much shorter time?

Yes, He3 is very hard to get, but with the upgraded power generators, a He3 powered fusion genetator is the most powerful reactor per unit mass until you unlock anti-matter. I could be mistaken, but I believe that if you are in a sub-orbital flight with an atmospheric scoop in Jool's atmosphere you can obtain He3. I haven't yet gotten around to messing with fusion yet so I can't really tell you more.

I created my own github account so I could mess around with a copy of the wiki, I hope to improve it by a large margin but it will definitely take me a while. I've never edited a wiki before but I'm great at organizing thoughts and ideas. Once I'm done I'll present it to Fractal for him to judge if its good enough to put up.

Edited by Rabada

Ummmmm... When I installed KSP Interstellar Mod, in which I watched many tutorials to correct any mistakes I may have had. Thus the tutorials all did the same thing. Yet either its a bug or Im incorrect. (My installation directions said to put it in the main directory folder not game data) Then I went in and none of the moded parts had NO thrust. So then I went to go watch more tutorials on how to fix tis there were NONE. So I tried editing the parts (didnt work). So if you have any solution email me at [email protected].

How was i supposed to know that?

I wasn't suggesting you were. I didn't know until Fractal said something I was talking about being broken (the IR telescopes) was fixed a while ago. Just saying you need to take the whole wiki with a big grain of salt.

No and it's not a general change, there is no realistic way to convert EC into MJ in any catch-all sense. The only thing I can do is alter certain modules, like the solar panels, to produce MJ under particular conditions - namely when the EC bar is full.

How about a part that would act as EC storage, with capacity equal to one game tick's worth of energy based on its MJ/s rating? Anything entering it is made available as MJ. As long as it's the lowest priority part (do sources have prio too, or only sinks?), it shouldn't set up an infinite loop with MJ->EC conversion. Maybe. I think.