[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I don't care about drag, I'm mostly concerned with choosing intakes that will give me the most IntakeAtm and IntakeAir. I really wish I could determine if simply adding the precooler module to the B9 radial intakes would work or not...

Try it and see.

Hi, I'm having thrust balancing problems with thermal rockets. If I use radial mounted engines, each with its own receiver, the craft spins out of control. Is there a way to balance the thermal energy between the receivers?

Thank you.

I'd be interested with any solutions to thrust balancing thermal rockets. I've spent a solid day or two on it and the only solution I've come up with is to give up on radially mounting them altogether for a single one directly aft. Everything I did before I came up with that resulted in my radially mounted atmosphere intakes now always having nil flow.

One thing I can tell you is to never let the thermal receivers touch any other parts other than the ones connected at the front or back. Anything clipping it has a way of bouncing all over the place once it loads on the runway. Good luck :confused:

I just lobbed a rocket meant for LKO into HKO with a singular thermal rocket on the *** end of it. Started with a TWR of over 30, and if it wasn't for me having MechJeb limit my acceleration to a 'safe' speed (Using FAR), it would have insta-splodded. At the end before staging, I had 60+ on TWR and a total acceleration of nearly 1000.

There's not much wrong with aft mounted thermal rockets atm. I do how ever have about 140 gw power network atm.

Hello there. Can someone tell me whether it is possible or not to play career mode with interstellar without the openresourcesystem? The ORS is causing the RPM (Rasterpropmonitor) to not function. I.E. the cockpits which RPM gave functionality and working screens are not functioning and the screens are greyed out. I posted this problem to the RPM section, but alas, no one has any solution, so a temporary one would be to delete the ORS and hence I am asking you guys!

Cheers, and if I haven't said it before, a truly stellar mod =).

Try it and see.
Yes, please do. If you can get it working, would you mind posting your findings? Precooler functionality on B9 radials would be great.

Testing has shown that the radial intakes from B9, when MM'd to have a Precooler show as having the Precooler offline, while a regular precooler (also from B9) with an intake mounted to a node in the usual way has the Precooler online. All of this just after loading a spaceplane onto the runway. No flight testing was performed as I figured it unnecessary.

Hello there. Can someone tell me whether it is possible or not to play career mode with interstellar without the openresourcesystem? The ORS is causing the RPM (Rasterpropmonitor) to not function. I.E. the cockpits which RPM gave functionality and working screens are not functioning and the screens are greyed out. I posted this problem to the RPM section, but alas, no one has any solution, so a temporary one would be to delete the ORS and hence I am asking you guys!

Cheers, and if I haven't said it before, a truly stellar mod =).

Are you certain it's ORS causing this? I had a similar issue with Active Texture Management and using Green Skull's configs for it. This may be your cause also if you're using his configs, or ones you customized. ATM and RPM do not play well together and RPM stuff should be blacklisted for ATM.

Edit: Was there a workaround for ATM changing the FTL effects to black instead of the blue/red they are supposed to be?

Edited by Einarr

Testing has shown that the radial intakes from B9, when MM'd to have a Precooler show as having the Precooler offline, while a regular precooler (also from B9) with an intake mounted to a node in the usual way has the Precooler online. All of this just after loading a spaceplane onto the runway. No flight testing was performed as I figured it unnecessary.

Are you certain it's ORS causing this? I had a similar issue with Active Texture Management and using Green Skull's configs for it. This may be your cause also if you're using his configs, or ones you customized. ATM and RPM do not play well together and RPM stuff should be blacklisted for ATM.

Edit: Was there a workaround for ATM changing the FTL effects to black instead of the blue/red they are supposed to be?

Well I am not certain that ORS is causing this, but when I delete ORS, RPM starts to work. Now I never tried deleting ATM as it is the most essential mod there is, but it might be causing problems as well. What do you mean by Green Skull's configs?

it's said this should do the trick..:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21?p=951061&viewfull=1#post951061

But it does not work for me - I have the black bar all over the place..

It seems no one has a solution or those who have are not willing to share - must be the former though..

I experimented and have this currently in the config - with not much success:

### Warp Plugin Fix
config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/warp[0-9]?.png
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
WarpPlugin/Parts/*.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
### Warp Plugin Fix

it's said this should do the trick..:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21?p=951061&viewfull=1#post951061

But it does not work for me - I have the black bar all over the place..

It seems no one has a solution or those who have are not willing to share - must be the former though..

I experimented and have this currently in the config - with not much success:

### Warp Plugin Fix
config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/warp[0-9]?.png
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
WarpPlugin/Parts/*.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
### Warp Plugin Fix

The last time I checked, it came preconfigured to work correctly with KSP Interstellar, so you shouldn't need to manually configure it at all. Do you have the latest version? Look in GameData/BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagementConfigs/WarpPlugin.cfg

I'm so very confused. So I have a Fusion reactor set up with a relay system (4). My first only produced Kw's of power for some reason so I launched another without any crew at all which now generates Gw's. Oddly my received power didn't move at all on the ground. On top of that anything that I build always loses it's entire TwR on the launchpad yet I don't get any messages about missing a vital piece to produce thrust.

Is this purely due to signal loss? My reception is around 70%

Edit: Just realized my reactor had shut down, but now I have a new problem. I have a 3.75M fusion reactor in orbit with 24 huge radiators and 10 normal radiators yet it's still overheating at 500Km above Kerbin. How many more does this thing need to actually function? My framerate is already getting pretty ugly when controlling it so I'm afraid of sending up yet another radiator expansion.

Edited by Kerbonautical

Well I am not certain that ORS is causing this, but when I delete ORS, RPM starts to work. Now I never tried deleting ATM as it is the most essential mod there is, but it might be causing problems as well. What do you mean by Green Skull's configs?

Green Skull has released a set of configs to improve the quality of most IVA views without sacrificing much in the way of memory load. See here. I was having issues with ATM, RPM, the ALCOR pod, and Green Skull's configs. We eventually determined that blacklisting the ALCOR pod and RPM was the best way to resolve those issues. I did have screenshots up showing grey RPM screens in various pods. However, I deleted them recently as the issue had been cleared up.

The last time I checked, it came preconfigured to work correctly with KSP Interstellar, so you shouldn't need to manually configure it at all. Do you have the latest version? Look in GameData/BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagementConfigs/WarpPlugin.cfg

I use Green Skull's configs, perhaps I should examine them more closely to see if I can merge the part of the 'stock' config with the one I'm using that will resolve the issue.

Edit: Just realized my reactor had shut down, but now I have a new problem. I have a 3.75M fusion reactor in orbit with 24 huge radiators and 10 normal radiators yet it's still overheating at 500Km above Kerbin. How many more does this thing need to actually function? My framerate is already getting pretty ugly when controlling it so I'm afraid of sending up yet another radiator expansion.

Do you have the upgraded radiators yet (they come with Experimental Electronics)?

Edited by Einarr
Additional quote and reply.

Do you have the upgraded radiators yet (they come with Experimental Electronics)?

Graphene? Yup. If I'm Deterium/Helium it overheats rapidly and shuts down, if I swap over to the other two fuel types it loses electrical charge and shuts down. (but doesn't overheat) I'm really getting the feeling this mod is just too complicated for me, which is a shame because I really want to love it, just no matter what I do it seems everything results in failure.

24 huge radiators for a single 3.75 fusion? Seems a bit too many. Do you have microwave receivers or transceivers on your craft? Are they set to receive?

I assume the craft you refer to is supposed to be a power station, which means you want a microwave transceiver and set it to transmit, not receive.

Any craft receiving microwave power will also gain WasteHeat proportional to the total power available in the power network (this is likely a bug, it should be proportional only to the amount of power received and/or used). This means that if you have a large amount of power in your network, craft set to receive will need tons (literally) of radiators to counter the heat.

24 huge radiators for a single 3.75 fusion? Seems a bit too many. Do you have microwave receivers or transceivers on your craft? Are they set to receive?

I assume the craft you refer to is supposed to be a power station, which means you want a microwave transceiver and set it to transmit, not receive.

Any craft receiving microwave power will also gain WasteHeat proportional to the total power available in the power network (this is likely a bug, it should be proportional only to the amount of power received and/or used). This means that if you have a large amount of power in your network, craft set to receive will need tons (literally) of radiators to counter the heat.

Huh that is kind of odd then, yeah it's set to transmit but the relays are getting by with only a couple of radiators. I also just noticed that my waste heat before adding more radiators was increasing by -3xx and after adding more it's now at 5xx, Would I be right in assuming that adding more has actually increased my heat rate?

Another thing that may be worth mentioning is the only difference between this craft and the one that could only hardly produce Kw's was that I pulled the cupola,crew tank and interstellar science lab off the top of it and relaunched it. I dunno if that's a sign that something isn't working right for me

You really should give
a watch. It's a decent tutorial on power relay networks.

Thanks! I've seen a few of his videos but not this one before. Looking at it something isn't adding up, everything on my thermal helper was in the green at launch and I've stuck more than double as many radiators on since then. I'll try a fresh install tomorrow but that will be the third in a week, and I have the latest version too. Are there any known mod conflicts in the latest version that I might be running into?

Green Skull has released a set of configs to improve the quality of most IVA views without sacrificing much in the way of memory load. See here. I was having issues with ATM, RPM, the ALCOR pod, and Green Skull's configs. We eventually determined that blacklisting the ALCOR pod and RPM was the best way to resolve those issues. I did have screenshots up showing grey RPM screens in various pods. However, I deleted them recently as the issue had been cleared up.

Wow, installing Green Skull's configs worked! Thank you kind sir. One other thing though and pardon my ignorance but when you say blacklisting, do you mean blacklisting the mods from ATM or just saying that interstellar and alcor+rpm just are not meant to work side by side?

EDIT: I just deleted the ASET.cfg and JSI.cfg files from the BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs and eveything is working as it should as ALCOR Pod was still messed up despite Green Skull's cfgs. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by Trebiane

Wow, installing Green Skull's configs worked! Thank you kind sir. One other thing though and pardon my ignorance but when you say blacklisting, do you mean blacklisting the mods from ATM or just saying that interstellar and alcor+rpm just are not meant to work side by side?

EDIT: I just deleted the ASET.cfg and JSI.cfg files from the BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs and eveything is working as it should as ALCOR Pod was still messed up despite Green Skull's cfgs. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Further on in that thread (I think on the next page from the post I linked) is a newer ASET config that blacklists it. In this context, blacklisting is setting up a config for ATM that prevents ATM from doing anything with whatever you're wanting to blacklist. Just be careful of how many things you blacklist, as when you do it, the related textures are not compressed, etc, so no RAM savings from them.

Those configs also just fixed the performance issues I was having with KSPRC, big thanks!

If you enjoy Green Skull's configs, feel free to post in that thread and thank him as well, since he did spend a decent amount of time fiddling with them to get them where he wanted them.

If you enjoy Green Skull's configs, feel free to post in that thread and thank him as well, since he did spend a decent amount of time fiddling with them to get them where he wanted them.

Already done! And with a thanks to you for pointing them out here too :) Also this just reminded me I need to go grab Green Skull's EVA suits again. Gonna have to try the low impact ATM configs tomorrow and see if I can get by with them instead now

24 huge upgraded radiators for one 3.75m reactor? There is something very not right there. Usually only 4 or so radiators are needed for one of those. Make sure you aren't receiving MW power from elsewhere.

Or maybe you forgot to remove the protective film the manufacturers leave on the radiators. A lot of people forget to peel that off first.

Spoilers

Here is one of my fusion power stations:

hJ95ojM.jpg

16 3.75 Fusions

24 KTEK or DC Gens

54 huge radiators

18 mediums

3 plasma thrusters with quantum.

I should probably kick the antimatter reactors, fuel tanks, and thermal rockets before I make the circularizing jump, but I kinda like having them around. There is something nice about it being single stage.

With that much power thermal rockets are pretty ludicrous. I get almost 17mN thrust from one! I think it has to do with the bug where, as long as the rocket is connected to a reactor, it can tap into total vessel power. (is that a bug?)

i9YM5nl.png

EDIT: info added

Edited by Atrius129