[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

How's that update coming along? I'm getting super psyched now :D

Maybe have a kethane-like resource that you can scan for, drop down, sample with a rover or ship. Return to Kerbin for a lot of science (or process on site for a smaller percentage). Ooof!

It's a pity the science collection is so slow. Max time warp for ages with 3 labs is getting tedious.

The ship doesn't need to be selected to keep collecting research points, just click begin research, then switch over to another ship and do something else for a while. Also, put your labs in good locations, you don't start getting really high science rates until you get to Jool. The further you go from Kerbin, the better the rates tend to be.

How's that update coming along? I'm getting super psyched now :D

Maybe have a kethane-like resource that you can scan for, drop down, sample with a rover or ship. Return to Kerbin for a lot of science (or process on site for a smaller percentage). Ooof!

Update is basically ready but it's just bug fixes plus the science transmission system. I'll start working on new features sometime soon.

Thanks Fractal, I didn't even think about rates being different in other places. Of course that makes getting a stock ship out somewhere to fill up on science upgrades challenging too.

I also found a bug or an anomaly anyway. I have 4 small reactors on a lab complex, having upgraded 2 I wanted to switch the other 2 off so I had a reserve in case the UF6 ran out on the other 2. You can't switch reactors off, so I used the arrows to stop the flow of UF6 in the reactor. It still produced power, it also created DUF6 but no UF6 was taken out. Assuming the DUF6 can be destroyed or otherwise got rid of it's infinite UF6.

I also found a bug or an anomaly anyway. I have 4 small reactors on a lab complex, having upgraded 2 I wanted to switch the other 2 off so I had a reserve in case the UF6 ran out on the other 2. You can't switch reactors off, so I used the arrows to stop the flow of UF6 in the reactor. It still produced power, it also created DUF6 but no UF6 was taken out. Assuming the DUF6 can be destroyed or otherwise got rid of it's infinite UF6.

UF6 presently has all vessel flow, meaning that it's probably drawing UF6 from the supply of one of the other reactors - a reactor can't produce any power without UF6, the amount of power generated is tied into the amount of UF6 consumed in the code. Don't worry about running out of fuel when you have a science lab though, you can do fuel reprocessing to turn your waste DUF6 back into UF6.

UF6 presently has all vessel flow, meaning that it's probably drawing UF6 from the supply of one of the other reactors - a reactor can't produce any power without UF6, the amount of power generated is tied into the amount of UF6 consumed in the code. Don't worry about running out of fuel when you have a science lab though, you can do fuel reprocessing to turn your waste DUF6 back into UF6.

Indeed but if you leave it time warping and go have dinner then come back to find it's completely run out of power and UF6, you can no longer reprocess. At that point I had the choice of quickload or run up something else with a reactor and dock it. I loaded...

Something else I just noticed, I had 1200 science and tried to upgrade the core. The name changed but it didn't take the science away and the retrofit button stayed. I quit the game, came back in and it had reverted to a standard core - is that meant to work yet? I may have found the problem, I'd locked the core with TAC fuel balancer. Once I have 1200 science once more I'll try it again.

Edited by Ratzap

A larger AM collector would be nice, that way I dont have to build 200+ part AM stations in orbit of kerbin k_cry.gif

My last large station self destructed because of the weight of the damn collectors to... that was annoying.

Indeed but if you leave it time warping and go have dinner then come back to find it's completely run out of power and UF6, you can no longer reprocess. At that point I had the choice of quickload or run up something else with a reactor and dock it. I loaded...

Something else I just noticed, I had 1200 science and tried to upgrade the core. The name changed but it didn't take the science away and the retrofit button stayed. I quit the game, came back in and it had reverted to a standard core - is that meant to work yet? I may have found the problem, I'd locked the core with TAC fuel balancer. Once I have 1200 science once more I'll try it again.

The core upgrade is a known bug and i think fractal already fixed it for the next version. If you are running out of UF6 then i suggest strapping a microwave reciever to your lab and place some solar satellites in orbit as an emergency power source

The core upgrade is a known bug and i think fractal already fixed it for the next version. If you are running out of UF6 then i suggest strapping a microwave reciever to your lab and place some solar satellites in orbit as an emergency power source

Cheers mate, I'm launching a set of 3,000km polar and equatorial microwave sats as I type this. They will also be tested as a power source for an ion drive ship, if charge arrives at a decent rate this will make Ion a lot easier to build.

Update: the microwave receiver works a treat. I dropped from 8.9t to 3.1t ditching the power core and using a receiver, with only 4kN at hand, that makes a huge difference. It's heading out now with 48,500 dV showing... of course, 19 hours boost time ;)

Also, would it be possible to have a deploy/retract option on the receiver? It opens on the launchpad and there's no way to close it. Deadly reentry/FAR would just rip that right off.

Update: the microwave receiver works a treat. I dropped from 8.9t to 3.1t ditching the power core and using a receiver, with only 4kN at hand, that makes a huge difference. It's heading out now with 48,500 dV showing... of course, 19 hours boost time ;)

Also, would it be possible to have a deploy/retract option on the receiver? It opens on the launchpad and there's no way to close it. Deadly reentry/FAR would just rip that right off.

I don't think the aerodynamic properties change when it's deployed, but it will always be open when a transmitter is in range.

I noticed the thermal rocket engine coupled with the large AM 3.75m has a bad habit of crushing the reactor if you power up above 1/3 thrust.

This flies pretty good thou.

QpDHLFa.jpg

Edited by Donziboy2

Minor bugs - reactors out of UF6 say 'anti matter deprived' and AM reactors out of AM say 'UF6 deprived'.

One other thing that would be nice, only consume resource (or only really run/activate) when megajoule or thermo needs topping up. The AM consumption rate is a shock when first switching on the AM reactor and then noticing it never stops eating even when all bars are full.

It seems the warp drive will continue consuming all of the power produced by a ship even when fully charged. It should really do neither of those things..

Hmm, your right it drains the system even after its full, and if you turn off the generator it continues to drain the megajoules.

Ratzap,

You can turn the AM reactor Off, thereby conserving AM Fuel.

Hmm, your right it drains the system even after its full, and if you turn off the generator it continues to drain the megajoules.

Ratzap,

You can turn the AM reactor Off, thereby conserving AM Fuel.

I know, you have no idea how fast I clicked on that mofo as my precious 10,000 AM went schluuuuurp ;)

Still, this is all good design experience for the next ships. One question, I have a receiver dish attached to the reactor but it's not taking in megajoules. Does it need to be connected to the generator? Ah Nvm, fixed it. I switched back to the space center then to the ship again and it's working for both now. Bug there perhaps.

Oddly enough the receiver is no longer filling with megajoules after I undocked from another ship. I still can't upgrade the computer core either, it changes it's name but science remains and nothing else changes.

I threw up a little satellite with a reactor and generator connected right under the transmission beamer too but there's no MJ being sent, just charge.

Edited by Ratzap

Oddly enough the receiver is no longer filling with megajoules after I undocked from another ship..

Do either of the ships have a warp drive? Does the receiver still have line of sight to the transmitter? Does the transmitter still have line of sight to the sun? If you right click on the receiver, what power does it show is being received?

I still can't upgrade the computer core either, it changes it's name but science remains and nothing else changes

Indeed, as Dave said, this a known issue and will be fixed in the next update.

Edited by Fractal_UK

Version 0.4.1 Released

In this update, I have also transitioned over to BitBucket which gives me issue tracking and a wiki.

Changelog

Version 0.4.1
-Added Antimatter Factory resource persistence
-Added science transmission/receipt
-Fixed Computer Core Upgrade
-Fixed Plasma Engine Upgrade
-Fixed incorrect resource deprived display
-Fixed unlimited warp drive deactivation to gain speed bug
-Fixed warp drive still consuming resources after fully charged bug

Download links on first page updated!