[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

@agentexeider

i tried the same thing, but i could not get it to convert Kethane to antimatter. as i am not super familiar with writing .cfgs i thought it was my fault. anyway, would you share your .cfg for the converter if you get it to work?

I managed to talk with Majiir, and the inner workings of the Kethane mod, basically require that the resource in question have a density that is greater then zero(>0)

go into the GameData\Warpplugin\Parts\Resources\ResourcesNuclear.cfg and change the density entry to Antimatter to this:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Antimatter
density = [COLOR="#FF0000"][b]0.000972[/b][/color]
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
}

Also if you want to, change your Deuterium entry to make them match

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Deuterium
density = [COLOR="#FF0000"][b]0.000972[/b][/color]
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
}

Now Kethane can be used to plug into the resource system for this mod. Kethane is like Voltron, the more you hook up to it, the better it gets...:D

-Æ

Sorry for reposting this, but I seem to have gotten overlooked on the last page, Can anyone help me out?

There's this thread and the readme, both of which have a lot of info. The first post also includes pictures.

If you're generating more than 1000 electric charge per second total on your ship, the amount above 1000 is automatically converted into MJ. However, there's no way to turn MJ into electric charge, which means it's possible (if, say, your antimatter-only ship runs out of antimatter) to have full megajoules, but no electric charge.

there's no way to turn MJ into electric charge, which means it's possible (if, say, your antimatter-only ship runs out of antimatter) to have full megajoules, but no electric charge.

Someone can to make small "10000V to 5V transformer" (using stock big battery model and simple generator in cfg) :)

Edited by zzz

A thing I did get today...

Can you please think about to add something like simple a "Storeadge" unit?

I mean something like a Harddrive, what simple only store science data.

The thing is...

When you build a (not so big plane) you can nowhere attach a sciencelab or a supercomputer thingi.

Because these parts are simple to big.

So there would it be good to have a small thingi, like perhaps the chattera box (In scale) to simple transmit (to this unit not outof it) some science to can for exmaple update the Reactors if you wanna use Thermal engenes for this plane.

Oh and a smaler Version ofthe Plasmathrusters (weaker in power is ok) would be good too.

Edited by Xentoe

Someone can to make small "10000V to 5V transformer" (using stock big battery model and simple generator in cfg) :)

Fractal says it's highly recommended that one now mess with Megajoules because the resource manager would freak out if you did. Just use either the nuclear reactor from the Deep Space Mission pack, or up the charge generation on the pod your using. or use RTGs, the actual amount of electric charge you use is nil compared to the resources that the FTL pack uses.

-Æ

Fractal says it's highly recommended that one now mess with Megajoules because the resource manager would freak out

Maybe if carefully... Ok then, it's just what come to mind, maybe it was bad idea. I don't even think it's actually necessary, I just like how it sounds.

Edited by zzz

Is there a solution fix yet for ExoticMatter no longer charging up despite lots of AM, AM reactor and electric generator on (and fully upgraded, too)? Cheers

according to Fractal it's a bug that will get fixed in the next version, current work around is to switch focus off and back to the plagued vessel.

There's this thread and the readme, both of which have a lot of info. The first post also includes pictures.

If you're generating more than 1000 electric charge per second total on your ship, the amount above 1000 is automatically converted into MJ. However, there's no way to turn MJ into electric charge, which means it's possible (if, say, your antimatter-only ship runs out of antimatter) to have full megajoules, but no electric charge.

I think you are wrong on that last one Hremsfeld. Electric Charge/Megajoules conversion works both ways. First Megajoule systems from this mod create is automatically converted into 1000 EC. So smallest nuclear reactor/generator combo is way more than enough to power ANY ship using stock parts. Or build some orbital power plants with microvave transmitters, and then put microwave receiver on your ship - you will get plenty of EC from it. I stopped covering my kethane miners with solar panels because of it - receiver provides more than enough power to run conversion and mining at full swing simultaneously. My computer loves lowered part count :D

Ah, BTW. Is it normal than my Warp Drive loses charge over time? My thermal power, Megajoules and Exotic Matter bars are full - and yet charge is slowly dropping with time.

To make sure I ironed out the bugs with the plasma engines, I built this thing:

It is powered by 5 plasma engines which are driven by 6 antimatter reactors/generators. The engines will seemlessly adapt their throttle on the fly to the number of engines and generators you have switched on. You don't actually need more than one plasma engine because one will still use up all the power available to provide thrust but additional engines do give you more gimballing and such so it's a useful thing to have working properly (at last).

EKG2zGg.jpg

Are we close to the next version? I'd hate to get infrastructure up for the current release just to have to restart for the update. (I don't have a problem getting my baseline stuff done in preparation for it though, can install after update =P)

Are we close to the next version? I'd hate to get infrastructure up for the current release just to have to restart for the update. (I don't have a problem getting my baseline stuff done in preparation for it though, can install after update =P)

Yes, it shouldn't be long away but I can't say when exactly, it depends a lot on whether I find any other problems in testing. The update shouldn't break anything you've already created but the change of models will mean you'll need to snap some of your existing designs back together properly in the VAB.

Hi, I'm sure this has already been covered/I'm missing something entirely, but I can't see to slow down after even the smallest warp journey.

I'm using the largest warp drive, nuclear reactor and generator etc. and the thermal engine is directly hooked up to the reactor. The problem is that if I'm making a trip to Eve, for example, even its closest approach I don't have nearly enough fuel/thrust to slow down, despite having only travelled at 0.10c.

The procedure I've been using is travel at warp to the planet's SOI and then try and get closer (though usually I miss/smash into it). Of course, it's fairly pointless because I can't slow down anyway. Hopefully I'm just missing something here.

I also warped to Minmus and I got a periapsis which was just swell but then I couldn't slow down when I got to it despite having only gone at 0.10c.

Also, whether it's related or not; my reactors never seem to produce any thermal power.

Thanks, and apologies if this has already been covered a million times before.

Hi, I'm sure this has already been covered/I'm missing something entirely, but I can't see to slow down after even the smallest warp journey.

I'm using the largest warp drive, nuclear reactor and generator etc. and the thermal engine is directly hooked up to the reactor. The problem is that if I'm making a trip to Eve, for example, even its closest approach I don't have nearly enough fuel/thrust to slow down, despite having only travelled at 0.10c.

The procedure I've been using is travel at warp to the planet's SOI and then try and get closer (though usually I miss/smash into it). Of course, it's fairly pointless because I can't slow down anyway. Hopefully I'm just missing something here.

I also warped to Minmus and I got a periapsis which was just swell but then I couldn't slow down when I got to it despite having only gone at 0.10c.

It doesn't actually matter which speed you go at, your warp drive doesn't affect your momentum, the drive merely translates you across space, so slowing down at the destination is entirely based upon the velocity you had wherever you left. The amount of delta-v required to slow down when you arrive at a different planet depends massively on the alignment of the planets when you make the trip. If you travel to the other side of the system, i.e. you fly past the sun on the way there, expect to need 15km/s of delta-v to slow down at a minimum. On the other hand, you can easily go to Duna or Eve for less than 1km/s if you time it properly. I'm convinced that you can do it for less than this if you really spend a lot of time warping at just the right moments.

You can minimise the cost by making the journey when the planets are at their closest positions. I made a diagram earlier in the thread, here it is:

xUdPxal.png

Also, whether it's related or not; my reactors never seem to produce any thermal power.

I wouldn't worry about what the resource bar says, it's totally irrelevant. If you have power to your warp drive and can run your thermal engines, it is working fine.

I think you are wrong on that last one Hremsfeld. Electric Charge/Megajoules conversion works both ways. First Megajoule systems from this mod create is automatically converted into 1000 EC. So smallest nuclear reactor/generator combo is way more than enough to power ANY ship using stock parts. Or build some orbital power plants with microvave transmitters, and then put microwave receiver on your ship - you will get plenty of EC from it. I stopped covering my kethane miners with solar panels because of it - receiver provides more than enough power to run conversion and mining at full swing simultaneously. My computer loves lowered part count :D

Ah, BTW. Is it normal than my Warp Drive loses charge over time? My thermal power, Megajoules and Exotic Matter bars are full - and yet charge is slowly dropping with time.

So I use Kosmos and have the huge solar panels, if I put enough of those on will it just start making MJ? Or do I need some sort of generator even though I'm not making Thermal energy at all?

Ok, that makes sense. I think what I don't quite get is if the warp drive only translates you to a certain point in the solar system (and doesn't affect your momentum), then why does going farther in distance causes you to need greater delta V to slow down at that location?

This may simply be that I'm missing the entire basis for KSP of course...

If you are going to inner planets from Kerbin, try to overshoot your target a bit. After you drop out of warp you should be moving "backwards" - away from Kerbol. It will give you more time to burn retrograde and brake into orbit - though with huge differences in relative velocity you might have to repeat it couple of times. When you are going to outer planets drop out of warp before you cross target's orbit.

Ok, that makes sense. I think what I don't quite get is if the warp drive only translates you to a certain point in the solar system (and doesn't affect your momentum), then why does going farther in distance causes you to need greater delta V to slow down at that location?

Because the further you go, the bigger difference there is between solar orbital velocities at that point. For example, if you are at Kerbin, you are moving really rather quickly in orbit of the sun. If you move out to the orbit of Jool, say, the acceleration you experience due to the Sun's gravity is vastly diminished which means that Jool doesn't need to move as quickly as Kerbin in its orbit. If you arrive at Jool with your Kerbin orbital speed, you'll just fly straight out of the solar system because at that position, you have more than enough velocity to escape the other system. On the other hand, if you head towards the sun from Kerbin, your Kerbin orbital velocity won't be enough to keep you in orbit at that altitude and you'll find yourself with in an elliptical orbit with the far side dropping closer to the star. If you go too far, you might even risk being in orbit where you could fall into the sun.

So I use Kosmos and have the huge solar panels, if I put enough of those on will it just start making MJ? Or do I need some sort of generator even though I'm not making Thermal energy at all?

Pretty much yes. I use Kosmos panels too on my Space power plants.

qRTjruq.png

Aton power plant can generate 1.3 Megawatt of power (1300 Megajoules) in Kerbin's orbit. In a couple of days i will have two Atons in low Kerbol orbit, which should give them huge boost to generated power (it better be worth all that fuel it took to get them there :P). And you need only Microwave Receiver dish on your craft to get power. Remember: Megajoules can power warp drive and plasma drive (and Vista, but you'd need a LOT of incoming power to get 1.5 Gigawatt this engine requires), for thermal nozzles you need thermal power, which is generated by reactors.

I managed to talk with Majiir, and the inner workings of the Kethane mod, basically require that the resource in question have a density that is greater then zero(>0)

Thank you so much! i really wonder when (not if, cause now its as iconic as jeb) kethane will be stock.