[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Eeloo apoapsis 113,5Gm.

7500Gm - it is very very far from kerbol

It is in 550 times farther than kerbin orbit

Thanks!

(Damn, that will take ages to reach on one solar sail :P well, time to rethink my plans)

Thanks!

(Damn, that will take ages to reach on one solar sail :P well, time to rethink my plans)

It sounds dumb but burn so that you get as close to the Sun as possible when ejecting from Kerbin. You then burn at solar periapsis to get all that power and Oberth effect, overall dV is a lot lower than burning straight from Kerbin.

Do solar panels always generate waste heat?

It seems that sometimes i dont ned radiators at all, and sometimes my ships start to overheat, both with solar panels.

They always generate waste heat, and every ship can dissipate some waste heat, even without radiators. More massive ships are assumed to be better radiators (as a proxy for having more surfaces to radiate from; it can't really be expected to count them all), but it's always a fairly small value.

I have a problem with this IR telescope. I have 4 of these helium cyrostats on the ship, still IR telescope says "helium cooland deprived". It is becouse IR telescope is connected to them by some docking ports? There is screenshoot

9MGZ6D3

They always generate waste heat, and every ship can dissipate some waste heat, even without radiators. More massive ships are assumed to be better radiators (as a proxy for having more surfaces to radiate from; it can't really be expected to count them all), but it's always a fairly small value.

Ah, so thats why small satellites overheat easily.

Thanks for explaining.

I have a problem with this IR telescope. I have 4 of these helium cyrostats on the ship, still IR telescope says "helium cooland deprived". It is becouse IR telescope is connected to them by some docking ports? There is screenshoot

http://imgur.com/9MGZ6D3

Yes it seems that way, just attach fuellines...

On a different note: I want to refuel a spaceplane on minmus (LFO). Is this possible with one or more ISRU-Refineries?

edit: removed previous edit, noticed that i failed :)

Edited by CrazyOdd

On a different note: I want to refuel a spaceplane on minmus (LFO). Is this possible with one or more ISRU-Refineries?

Yes. Find a location where you can mine water with the ISRU and then electrolize the water. This will produce LFO just be aware that its power hungry and the ratio of LF to O is not the same as engiens need (youll end up with excess of one or the other) How you transfer the fuel from refinery to the ship is up to you.

So there IS water on minmus? WOOOHOOO! thank you :D

Are there specific points where there is more water? and if yes, how can i find those? (sorry)

Edited by CrazyOdd

Yes it seems that way, just attach fuellines...

edit: removed previous edit, noticed that i failed :)

Well, Scott Manley says he edited Minmus to have water... I wanted to ask if it has been implemented by now...

It was added back in 0.10, it is in the changelog.

Edit: the low lying flat areas have the highest concentrations of water.

Edited by Fractal_UK

Can someone give me a basic list of modules to make the 1.25m plasma thruster work?

This is what I really want, a "recipe" list. Half the time I have no idea if it's going to work!

I'm stumped about a problem I'm having with the seismic experiment.

I successfully used it on the Mun, deploying 4 probe landers, one near each pole, and two near the equator, opposite each other. I'm trying to do the same thing on Duna, and whenever I crash my impactor into Duna, I don't get the message about an impact being recorded (and when I try to collect the data, nothing happens.) I've restarted KSP numerous times, tried quicksaving, stopping recording and restarting recording on all 4 probes, and then doing the impact, all without quickloading or exiting the game, but still no luck.

AHA! I think I solved it! I renamed the impactor vessel, after it was decoupled from the orbiter. I *think* the problem was that the probes on Duna, and the impactor hitting Duna all had the same craft name. Is that possible it could be the problem/bug?

Can someone give me a basic list of modules to make the 1.25m plasma thruster work?

The plasma thruster requires: a ton of power, a propellant, and the thruster itself. To generate that ton of power, you need a reactor with a generator directly attached to it. It is not very impressive, though, unless you have a ton of power to throw at it. Like, 20GW.

Here's a basic craft:

[2 man lander can]

[z-4000 battery]

[mobile processing lab with some science modules attached]

[2.5m pure rocket fuel tank]

[advanced SAS]

[3.75m generator]

[3.75m reactor]

[plasma thruster]

Slap on enough radiators that the VAB thermal helper is green and you're ready to go - you'll need a really heavy launcher to get it into orbit, though.

But you're not going to be very happy with it. The thrust is terrible - think of it as a really big version of the Ion Drive. What makes it pretty good is when you build a really light vessel relying on beamed microwave power. Someone else carries the heavy reactors so the low thrust is only pushing a lightweight ship. Things change once you unlock the final tech node - then your plasma thrusters can run on "quantum vacuum" and require NO propellant at all. Just add electricity and you can thrust forever, saving the weight of the fuel and allowing you to do really long burns to cancel out the low thrust.

So that craft above would be a lot better if you just used a Thermal Rocket Nozzle instead (which works fine with just basic fission). Once you unlock it the DT Vista Inertial Fusion Engine is ridiculously cheatingly good. Use that as soon as you get it. You just need a ship that can generate 2.5GW of power - and when you unlock the DT Vista you upgrade your fission plants and an upgraded 3.75m fission will give you 4-5GW of power.

On a DT Vista craft, try something like this:

[2 man lander can]

[z-4000 battery]

[mobile processing lab with some science modules attached]

[science lab]

[2.5m pure rocket fuel tank]

[advanced SAS]

[3.75m generator]

[3.75m reactor]

[DT Vista]

Add a lander to the front if you'd like, slap on some probes/impactors too, and you've got a ship that can get to Jool and back using only 1/4 of the fuel in that tank. Add a probe core so you can steer while two kerbals are sitting on the science lab doing Science Things and you've got a simple ship you can dump into orbit around another planet to generate science for a few years. Attach a UF4 tank to it too so you can reprocess your spent nuclear fuel into more fuel and it'll run for a few decades.

I'm stumped about a problem I'm having with the seismic experiment.

I successfully used it on the Mun, deploying 4 probe landers, one near each pole, and two near the equator, opposite each other. I'm trying to do the same thing on Duna, and whenever I crash my impactor into Duna, I don't get the message about an impact being recorded (and when I try to collect the data, nothing happens.) I've restarted KSP numerous times, tried quicksaving, stopping recording and restarting recording on all 4 probes, and then doing the impact, all without quickloading or exiting the game, but still no luck.

AHA! I think I solved it! I renamed the impactor vessel, after it was decoupled from the orbiter. I *think* the problem was that the probes on Duna, and the impactor hitting Duna all had the same craft name. Is that possible it could be the problem/bug?

Yes - it remembers the name of the impactor so you have to rename them to get multiple impacts recorded from the same design.

Yes - it remembers the name of the impactor so you have to rename them to get multiple impacts recorded from the same design.

Hmm, my experimentation seems to indicate something slightly different than that. I have a "Pinto 2 Probe" in orbit and my 4 "Pinto 2 Probe" vessels on the surface. When I separate an impactor from the orbiter, it keeps the same name. When I impact it, even though it's the first impact I've done on Duna, it doesn't get recognized. If I rename it to "Pinto 2 Impactor" first, it gets recorded fine. I just impacted a 2nd impactor with the same name (after transmitting the science from the original) and it got recorded as well.

It sounds like maybe multiple impacts without transmitting might not get recognized if the impactors have the same name, and that in addition, they need to be named differently than the vessels with the sensors?

Thank you for that. I couldn't figure out why all the probes detached from my launcher ship weren't registering after the first impact. Once I renamed a probe it registered so it seems only one impact per vessel name works so you must make all the names unique.

Thank you for that. I couldn't figure out why all the probes detached from my launcher ship weren't registering after the first impact. Once I renamed a probe it registered so it seems only one impact per vessel name works so you must make all the names unique.

I've been using the same vessel name for all the impactors, but I transmit the science between impacts.

Seems like this would be a great thing to have on the wiki page about the "Double C Seismic Accelerometer". :)

(edited for spelling)

Edited by lewisd