[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

You just need to account for the different efficiencies of the propellants, which alters the thrusts of most of the plasma engine propellants, it doesn't change any of the specific impulses though. If you multiply the thrust by (new efficiency percentage)/72 and waste heat production by (100-new efficiency percentage)/28, you should get the right answers.

Was mainly referring to the reactor/gen info but ya, that math sounds confusing lol. Or at-least if you don't stop and really look at it, it can be.:confused: Was a long day...

Let us know when you have a new dev build to try Fractal_UK.

One interesting thing I noticed with the dev version is that distance from the sun affects your generator Efficiency. Close to the sun its like 19% and orbiting Jool its 23% and Eeloo is oddly 20%. The radiators don't seem to be radiating any heat thou, or at-least very little.

Radiator size and deployed state don't seem to make any difference on WasteHeat atm.

Edited by Donziboy2

GOD PLEASE someone help me... How do you get antimatter to go into an antimatter containment device? I am at the point in career where I have the collector and the containers, but I dont have the engine. I have tried every configuration of modules I can think of to make it work and it wont fill the antimatter containers.

And how do you search keywords in a specific forum post? When I search antimatter containment it just come up with the main post which has like 500 pages.

Edited by milint33w

GOD PLEASE someone help me... How do you get antimatter to go into an antimatter containment device? I am at the point in career where I have the collector and the containers, but I dont have the engine. I have tried every configuration of modules I can think of to make it work and it wont fill the antimatter containers.

Ship with collector(s) and container has to be in Van Allen belt, 9000 km orbit around Jool gives the highest collection rate.

And how do you search keywords in a specific forum post? When I search antimatter containment it just come up with the main post which has like 500 pages.

Just build simple ship consisting of:

1. 3.75M fission reactor

2. 3.75M generator

3. Some radiators to cool all this.

4. Science lab

5. Antimatter containment device

6. Docking port to be able to collect those antimatter later.

7. Probably wheels or some other means to move this away from the launchpad.

Lab will have option to produce antimatter. It will be slow, but if you leave few such "ships" there for some time they will generate some antimatter (~8k for me) before reactor will run out of fuel.

This is slower, of course, than collector in Jool orbit, but it is much easier to set up and to retrieve those antimatter later.

Edited by Lightwarrior

Just build simple ship consisting of:

1. 3.75M fission reactor

2. 3.75M generator

3. Some radiators to cool all this.

4. Science lab

5. Antimatter containment device

6. Docking port to be able to collect those antimatter later.

7. Probably wheels or some other means to move this away from the launchpad.

Lab will have option to produce antimatter. It will be slow, but if you leave few such "ships" there for some time they will generate some antimatter (~8k for me) before reactor will run out of fuel.

So the key must be to have the science lab then. I thought for sure that I was able to go to warp on my sandbox mode without that.

So the key must be to have the science lab then. I thought for sure that I was able to go to warp on my sandbox mode without that.

Warp has nothing to do with Antimatter other then you can charge the drive faster with antimatter reactors.

You can use warp with normal nuclear reactors it just takes a while to charge up.

Warp has nothing to do with Antimatter other then you can charge the drive faster with antimatter reactors.

You can use warp with normal nuclear reactors it just takes a while to charge up.

Oh ok... Since you guys are so helpful, do you know how to connect the new refinery? It has a side connector and I have tried several different things including HubMax as well as turning snapping and even part clipping off but it wont connect. It snaps on to the hubmax or fuselage etc, but it is transparent and does not appear when I launch.

A warp ship does not require a science lab. However, a science lab can consume electrical power (and a lot of it) to produce antimatter. The other method is to launch a ship with antimatter collectors into orbit inside the magnetic field of one of the Kerbin system's many fine planets or moons. Remember, the stronger the magnetic field is the more antiprotons it will trap and the faster your collectors can collect. Use the Dual-Technique Magnetometer to measure the magnetic fields of various planets or moons in order to find the best orbits around the best bodies for collecting antimatter.

Oh ok... Since you guys are so helpful, do you know how to connect the new refinery? It has a side connector and I have tried several different things including HubMax as well as turning snapping and even part clipping off but it wont connect. It snaps on to the hubmax or fuselage etc, but it is transparent and does not appear when I launch.

It's a KSP bug. In fact, the hubmax exhibits the same bug. Apparently it can be easier to use the side node if you first attach the refinery to your rocket using the bottom node. I also recommend the Select Root mod; it lets you change which part is the root node which can help quite a bit with tricky builds.

Have you tried fuel lines? Antimatter follows fuel flow rules, so if you aren't running fuel lines from the container stacks to the collectors they won't get any. Also, I'm assuming you've got a single collector and are in a 100km circular orbit; your collection rate is going to be a very small fraction of a unit per second, probably on the order of 10-5 per second; at this rate, assuming you aren't using an antimatter reactor to power your antimatter containment, it will take 1,000 seconds to have gathered 0.01 units of antimatter.

the omega fusion reactors are saying they are deprived of deuterium/trition when I just spawned it on the runway? whats that about? EDIT: I read a couple pages back that it might be because it does not have enough power for the laser! gonna try that

and what is the best setup with the thermal rocket/turbojet engines because I got 0 movement if I use the the omega fusion reactor...

ok so let me get this straight! I need a fission generator with the omega fusion and the generator or otherwise the omega fusion reactor will say: deprived of deuterium/tritium

edit: also how do disable this upgrade stuff because I can't fit a science module on every ship... or do I only have to have 1 station floating in space somewhere?

Edited by BelgarionNL

and what is the best setup with the thermal rocket/turbojet engines because I got 0 movement if I use the the omega fusion reactor...

Omega fusion reactor... or antimatter reactors, they will give you insane thrust/TWR but they require antimatter obviously.

Also thermal rocket and turbojet in liquid/LFO mode have approximately 1/2 of thrust at sea level on kerbin because of atmosphere.

ok so let me get this straight! I need a fission generator with the omega fusion and the generator or otherwise the omega fusion reactor will say: deprived of deuterium/tritium

You only need some Megajoules to start, and yes, you will need generator. But fission reactor may be needed only to start, then you can leave it behind. For example i use only fusion reactors on lander, and use power from ship it is docked to during transfer to start process.

edit: also how do disable this upgrade stuff because I can't fit a science module on every ship... or do I only have to have 1 station floating in space somewhere?

It only works in career mode, and you get upgrades from science tree nodes there, you do not need science lab for this.

Edited by Lightwarrior

You don't need a science module on any ship, upgrading parts is done based on the tech tree, or, in the case of manual upgrades, done by spending science from the R&D centre to complete an upgrade.

I need a fission generator with the omega fusion and the generator or otherwise the omega fusion reactor will say: deprived of deuterium/tritium

I'm not entirely sure why it sometimes says that when you don't have sufficient power - obviously it shouldn't. I'm working on it.

YES I got the omega fusion working by setting up a huge nuclear rover that acts as the kickstarter!!

Basically what I want to make is a small recon plane to scout possible landing location on the mun, etc. but it has to be an extremely small plane because it has to dock on my lander before going down to land on that planet.

I am considering creating a mothership that docks a small ship/ 2 satelites/ and a lander, but I am afraid for lag.

how hard is it for me to resize the fusion rocket and turbojet into 0.625 meter parts? that way I can truly create a micro plane.

perhaps I could even convince you (creator) how epic it would be to have 0.625 parts :) even better for probes too

Edited by BelgarionNL

I only have this mod installed in ksp and every time I click on the vab after starting the game, it crashes to desktop almost instantly.

I'd guess this is caused by installing the mod in the wrong location. You should be unzipping the file into your main KSP directory so you have: [KSPMain]/GameData/WarpPlugin, [KSPMain]/GameData/TreeLoader, [KSPMain]/GameData/HexCans folders. If your directory structure doesn't look like this, it won't work.

YES I got the omega fusion working by setting up a huge nuclear rover that acts as the kickstarter!!

Basically what I want to make is a small recon plane to scout possible landing location on the mun, etc. but it has to be an extremely small plane because it has to dock on my lander before going down to land on that planet.

I am considering creating a mothership that docks a small ship/ 2 satelites/ and a lander, but I am afraid for lag.

how hard is it for me to resize the fusion rocket and turbojet into 0.625 meter parts? that way I can truly create a micro plane

There is already a 0.625m fusion reactor, making a .0625 turbojet is easy. Just make a copy of the part.cfg file, call it part2.cfg or something, open this file change the "name = ThermalTurbojet" line to "name = ThermalTurbojet2", change "rescaleFactor = 1" to "rescaleFactor = 0.5" and change "radius = 1.25" to "radius = 0.625".

Edited by Fractal_UK

how hard is it for me to resize the fusion rocket and turbojet into 0.625 meter parts? that way I can truly create a micro plane

There's already a .625 meter fusion reactor, the GEKKO. Similarly, there is a small thermal rocket nozzle which is .625 meter.

You could make a mothership with an abundance of reactors and generators and a microwave transmitter. Then your scout plane just needs a 1.25m plasma engine and some fuel of choice, with a ring of microwave receivers pointing in various directions.

Hi guys,

Just curious, I'm trying to work out the requirements for fusion power, what works and what doesn't.

What didn't work was putting a fission reactor on a decoupler and letting it go before takeoff, just giving me a "starter". It runs but the generator, elsewhere on the ship doesn't detect it and won't start. I tried fuel lines, they didn't seem to do anything...

So, I put a fission reactor with its own gen, that runs fine, but the generator I want to start on my ship is still giving me the "no reactor found" message... Even when I start the fusion reactor with the acquired megajoules from the fission set, the ship gen still doesn't see the fusion reactor as a valid "reactor", and won't start, even if it is right next to it. How does one do this?

Next, If I want to attach say 8 fusion reactors to a 2.5m generator, if I attach them using the "fake docking port" part (which has fuel crossfeed enabled) to the SIDE of the generator, they don't pass their MW/th energy to it. Attach on the top, works fine for the FIRST layer, but if I put another lot on top of them (without the fake d-port), they aren't seen by the generator.

Is that the fake d-port acting weirdly, or is there some sort of rule, "how far the reactors can be from the generator"?

To save me hours of testing, I thought I'd just ask! Thanks again for all the updates Fractal!

Hi guys,

Just curious, I'm trying to work out the requirements for fusion power, what works and what doesn't.

What didn't work was putting a fission reactor on a decoupler and letting it go before takeoff, just giving me a "starter". It runs but the generator, elsewhere on the ship doesn't detect it and won't start. I tried fuel lines, they didn't seem to do anything...

So, I put a fission reactor with its own gen, that runs fine, but the generator I want to start on my ship is still giving me the "no reactor found" message... Even when I start the fusion reactor with the acquired megajoules from the fission set, the ship gen still doesn't see the fusion reactor as a valid "reactor", and won't start, even if it is right next to it. How does one do this?

Next, If I want to attach say 8 fusion reactors to a 2.5m generator, if I attach them using the "fake docking port" part (which has fuel crossfeed enabled) to the SIDE of the generator, they don't pass their MW/th energy to it. Attach on the top, works fine for the FIRST layer, but if I put another lot on top of them (without the fake d-port), they aren't seen by the generator.

Is that the fake d-port acting weirdly, or is there some sort of rule, "how far the reactors can be from the generator"?

To save me hours of testing, I thought I'd just ask! Thanks again for all the updates Fractal!

how hard is it for me to resize the fusion rocket and turbojet into 0.625 meter parts? that way I can truly create a micro plane.

perhaps I could even convince you (creator) how epic it would be to have 0.625 parts :) even better for probes too

You can use a small reactor to kickstart also, you only need a few MJ to start the fusion reactors. I have noticed that sometimes you have to click the button a few times to start them.