[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

So I found two bugs, first: active warp drive doesn't show a trail - merely a cosmetic problem.

Second: I can't get the Telescope to work, I have LqdHelium on board, fuel lines work (helium levels lower), but Telescopes show no G-lens, no efficiency, no science.

Note that I'm far enough, 1511 AU should be three times the minimal distance...

Edit: ignore the second part, I'm being stupid...

http://imgur.com/a/a8A63

Hey xfrankie,

I had the same problem with the warp drive visuals but it was caused by the plugin Active Texture Management, not a bug with KSPI.

I had to change the Warpplugin.tcfg in the KSP_win - GameData - BoulderCo - textureCompressorConfigs directory.

Changed the line "compress = true" to "compress = false" under "WarpPlugin/[^/]*"

Like so,

config_enabled = trueOVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}

WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

Hope this helps.

Any chance you would share what you were doing wrong with the telescope? I haven't played with it yet but I know I will probably have the same learning curve you are experiencing. :)

Edited by smurphy34

-snip-

Any chance you would share what you were doing wrong with the telescope? I haven't played with it yet but I know I will probably have the same learning curve you are experiencing. :)

Thanks for the help, I'll see if that works :)

The Telescopes need basically four things to work:

1) Either manned capsule or upgraded Computer core (upgraded manually in-flight for 1200science) - only tested this with Computer + Hitchhiker module for storing crew, so not sure if the manned capsule works too

2) Stable orbit - this is important, you need to be far away but also not "leaving the system"...meaning orbital eccentricity < 1, when right-clicking on Telescopes, it will tell you both parameters, however orbital speed at ~570 AU is about 400 m/s, so if you use WarpDrive you'll need to kill almost 9km/s... bring a Vista ;)

3) Supply of LqdHelium - unless you want to make resupplying flights, bring a lot of it... and I mean a lot... 8 Telescopes will eat ~75units per second (the number in brackets next to supply number) on 100k Timewarp

4) Periodical EVA maintenance - you see that 0.01% Performance factor? EVA right-click to perform maintenance and it is 100% again = 15 science/day. It will start to go down again, but by the time you see 12 science/day, it gives you about 10k science with 8 Telescopes (that's just silly...)

Also when you switch away from your Telescope, lets say back to space centre, and then come back the Performance will reset to 0.01 (no matter how long have you been away, 2 seconds are enough), meaning you have to EVA everytime you switch ships...

I noticed the impactor experiment cannot be collected. Due to the excessive weight of the data (10 times any other experiment at least) it'd be nice to have the option to retrieve the info.

I just added the following lines at the bottom of the science.cfg module definition:

MODULE
{
dataIsCollectable = True
collectActionName = Collect Data
interactionRange = 1.2
}

Thanks for the help, I'll see if that works :)

The Telescopes need basically four things to work:

1) Either manned capsule or upgraded Computer core (upgraded manually in-flight for 1200science) - only tested this with Computer + Hitchhiker module for storing crew, so not sure if the manned capsule works too

2) Stable orbit - this is important, you need to be far away but also not "leaving the system"...meaning orbital eccentricity < 1, when right-clicking on Telescopes, it will tell you both parameters, however orbital speed at ~570 AU is about 400 m/s, so if you use WarpDrive you'll need to kill almost 9km/s... bring a Vista ;)

3) Supply of LqdHelium - unless you want to make resupplying flights, bring a lot of it... and I mean a lot... 8 Telescopes will eat ~75units per second (the number in brackets next to supply number) on 100k Timewarp

4) Periodical EVA maintenance - you see that 0.01% Performance factor? EVA right-click to perform maintenance and it is 100% again = 15 science/day. It will start to go down again, but by the time you see 12 science/day, it gives you about 10k science with 8 Telescopes (that's just silly...)

Also when you switch away from your Telescope, lets say back to space centre, and then come back the Performance will reset to 0.01 (no matter how long have you been away, 2 seconds are enough), meaning you have to EVA everytime you switch ships...

TL/DR : Too much work.

Got it, thanks!

I might toy around with it for the lulz... but I think I'll stick to my 'Server Farms' on Moho and Elloo as my primary science source. 1 Science lab, 15 CPU cores... once upgraded you're looking at 95-96 science a day.

~Steve

EDIT:

Once I get my power grid fully completed I can swap out for Microwave operated Server Farms... remove any need to refuel them.

Edited by NeoAcario

Those of you crying that no one cares or your not getting help; should take a long walk to a short airlock.

Why should people not be frustrated when they can't get help in the location that's supposed to be used for such things?

This thread moves very fast, some questions get asked over and over (read the FAQ on the Wiki).

Yes, some questions get asked over and over - that's what happens in the real world as new people come into a game or discover a mod. That goes doubly for a mod as complex and non-intuitive as this. The airlock is available for those who can't deal with that. (And the FAQ and the wiki are just barely this side of useless. They're badly incomplete.)

Fractal_UK has a life so don't expect to keep seeing patches as fast as the last few. And don't expect him to come on every single hour to answer questions.

Most mods are 'user supported' in that most basic questions can be answered by experienced users. For those can't be bothered, well, again, the airlock awaits.

(And the FAQ and the wiki are just barely this side of useless. They're badly incomplete.)

Its open for editing by anyone, yet few do and even fewer bother to look before asking questions.

Why should people not be frustrated when they can't get help in the location that's supposed to be used for such things?

My issue is with those who expect Fractal_UK to fix it that instant or get angry when the answer they get is not what they wanted.

Edited by Donziboy2

Hey Fractal,

It's me again.. the guy you're tired of hearing from the with the Direct Conversion power stations. Anyways, both of my power stations are turned off (as I currently have no need of power) and for some reason there's 25 GW still floating around in my relay sats.

Uh.. what?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jIP71ygHJ3Y/Uvyhv0JeR-I/AAAAAAAABhc/5V2C8YAfmLA/w1916-h1078-no/screenshot23.png

Any ideas? Anyone? Free power is cool and all... but it kinda feels like cheating ^.^

~Steve

Did you turn off the generators along with the reactors? If you shut down a reactor and then switch to a different vessel before the reactor cools down, it is possible for the generator to still be producing a large amount of power.

Did you turn off the generators along with the reactors? If you shut down a reactor and then switch to a different vessel before the reactor cools down, it is possible for the generator to still be producing a large amount of power.

Nope.. turned off the transmitters. The state of the power stations shouldn't matter if the transmitters themselves are completely off.

And is it wrong to love my mini warp tugs this much? I just love a good design that has everything, looks good, is super tiny... etc.

screenshot24.png

I still think the collapsible warp drives are amazing.

~Steve

Collapsible warp?!

Also, can you not warp with a docked thing in front of you? A warp pusher. Does a warp puller leave docked things behind?

Nope. Figured it out. The warp drive was on backwards and I plowed into Kerbin. Test Phase 1 complete!

Moho is a *****. 10000 dv to shed.

Edited by BigD145

I've run into a problem with the science lab and it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

I have a lab at an orbit of 99.7A and 99.6P km with 2 kerbals manning it, a nuke, electric generator and radiators. everything is powered OK and deploys but I do not earn any science.

When i have the same ship on the ground I get 0.17 science per day.

When i read the wiki it said I should get 1.0 science per day on the ground and .17 science per day at the most efficient orbit.

any help would be much appreciated, as I love this mod!

Collapsible warp?!

Yeah, all the way back on page 144 zzz released a foldable warp drive especially for use in space planes that someone requested. I still think it's an amazing design and I love it to death. Functions just like the standard warp drive but also changes state from folded to circled...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-23-KSP-Interstellar-%28Thermal-Helper-Solar-Sail-Impactors-Fusion%29-Version-0-10-3?p=685428&viewfull=1#post685428

Gfqt1Im.jpg

~Steve

Oh right. That thing.

I still don't have the hang of warp and shedding dv. Either a really good picture tutorial needs to go up or video on the wiki.

Go to the solar system map... focus on Kerbol. Take note to your direction of motion with regards to Kerbol. Try and stop warp in a location in which your carried over momentum would put you into orbit.

If you want to reduce your momentum, stop warp as close as you can to a planet (preferably Kerbol) where your vector is away from Kerbol. The gravity will gradually slow you. You can keep warping back to the planet/Star until you're happy.

There's a few other methods to work the warp drive.

FYI... you can also EVA while warping. That's just crazy!

~Steve

Go to the solar system map... focus on Kerbol. Take note to your direction of motion with regards to Kerbol. Try and stop warp in a location in which your carried over momentum would put you into orbit.

If you want to reduce your momentum, stop warp as close as you can to a planet (preferably Kerbol) where your vector is away from Kerbol. The gravity will gradually slow you. You can keep warping back to the planet/Star until you're happy.

There's a few other methods to work the warp drive.

FYI... you can also EVA while warping. That's just crazy!

~Steve

Steve, you do a great job explaning the warp drive... but some how my brain doesn't want to compute. Can you make a few short video of using the warp drive in the right way?

or if anyone else is up to it?

Thank you

Steve, you do a great job explaning the warp drive... but some how my brain doesn't want to compute. Can you make a few short video of using the warp drive in the right way?

Thank you

Cant do a video but how about a slightly different discription of the same thing? Lets say you wana go from kerbin to moho. you need to shed alot of velocity to match the orbital speed of your target so we'll use kerbol to slow down. Position your map so kerbin is at 3 o'clock. your velocity in relation to kerbol in this alighnmet is pointing exactly at 12 o'clock(or close enough, slight variance depending on where your orbit around kerbin is) to slow down you want to warp close to kerbol at 12 o'clock in relation to where kerbin is. when you come out you should be rockiting strait away from kerbol. just chill or timewarp till your vertical velocity drops to near what moho's is. once you've got your speed match move on to bending your orbit so your facing the right direction. Incidently if you wanted to go outward, say to jool and needed to accelerate you would have been warping in at 6 oclock and falling tward kerbol (then agian with jool you could just warp in and areobreak and skip all this jazz)

Now you should be moveing at orbital speed for moho but your vector is aimed at 12 o'clock. Moho happens to be at 12 o'clock which means its vector is pointed at 9 o'clock. Warp in close to kerbol at ~4 o'clock. Make sure your not so close that you'll impact the surface. As you fly by kerbol its gravity will distort your orbit. exactly where you end up pointing depends on where you warp to and your speed. Simply look at the map of your orbit and see what direction your outbound vector from kerbol is after you drop out. You'll probably be pointing out somewhere between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock. keep warping back a few hours of the clock and passing by kerbol till your orbit is parralell to where moho is, for this example you want your vector pointing twards 9. Once your orbit is pointing in the right direction warp over to moho. Asuming you didnt pick up or loose too much speed while distorting your orbit your relitive velocity shouldnt be too high.

Small question. If I place a refinery in minmus I know I have to attach tanks to the same ship tree level in order to get resources pumping. Question is what kind of tanks I need.

For mining water the results are LFO, so a single tank is enough, but what about the other things? like UF4 and so.

My mission is to set a mining base in minmus to produce as many things as I need. I will use a lot of ships and dock them together in the surface. Suggestions are welcome too :)

Thank you

Here's a picture, of me placing a new Antimatter Farm with my teeny tiny warp tug, as an example.

screenshot26.png

Stop just within SOI

Use 0.10c to move radially to put yourself as close as possible to orbit location

Use 300-500 dV to put into an aerobrake position (notice I'm saving ~7k dV with this aerobrake)

Win

EDIT: I put my new AM Farm into a perfect orbit of Jool from LKO for less than 1,000 LFO... Not bad for 275t.

Obviously this is the easy method. Using gravity to slow you requires a bit more work and time.

Small question. If I place a refinery in minmus I know I have to attach tanks to the same ship tree level in order to get resources pumping. Question is what kind of tanks I need.

For mining water the results are LFO, so a single tank is enough, but what about the other things? like UF4 and so.

My mission is to set a mining base in minmus to produce as many things as I need. I will use a lot of ships and dock them together in the surface. Suggestions are welcome too :)

This is what I use on the Mun and Minmus:

screenshot16.png

I use KSPI, KAS... and to get those ~400 tons of base off of Kerbin I used KW Rocketry. Although now that I have easy access Antimatter I can do without it.

It can do everything possible that a base on Minmus can do. Runs for ~3 years at idle without a refill of Ammonia, or ~1 1/2 year at full power transmission.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Fuel%20%26%20Power.craft?_subject_uid=2055149&w=AADX_ccgpT0fa0D3dRSbJed15aMNZfYlZt9yPjnPnIuQLQ&dl=1

EDIT: Fuel Balancer is HIGHLY recommended. This mod allows you to spread fuels to all locations, regardless of how they're connected... without having to swap it around manually one tank/resource at a time.

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

I just wanted to remind anyone reading this thread about my In-Situ Resource Utilization thread...

Hopefully Fractal will implement more of those reactions in the future... Like I said multiple times, all the necessary resources are there- it's just a matter of adding the needed reactions...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68797-In-Situ-Resource-Utilization-Useful-Reactions

@Fractal_UK

Oh, Fractal, one more thing about that- what about the idea of utilizing a GUI for In-Situ Resource Utilization. Something like a chart showing the different resources, and arrows between them labelled with the different reactions and what they produce (i.e. Haber-Bosch from LiquidFuel to Ammonia with an input arrow from "atmosphere", Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction from LiquidFuel to LiquidWater, etc...)

I bet that would be a lot more intuitive way to represent the frankly astounding number of reactions possible, without overwhelming players.

Regards,

Northstar

If anyone is interested I've made a MM patch for the ISRU to make it a bit easier to attach. It makes the bottom node usable and adds a small top node. The side node can have things connected to it, but can't connect to other things (like the stock station hub). To make that less of an issue though, I have enabled surface attachement at that point.

Download at DropBox here

Images, because reasons:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thank you

Here it is in diagram form. However, I usually match direction then speed. Where his explanation was speed then direction.

1) Warp close and wait for craft velocity to be parallel to your target.

2) Warp so you are falling directly toward Kerbol. Wait until your V is the same magnitude as target. If you target is an outer planet then reverse the warp point so you are flying directly away from Kerbol.

3) Warp to target with your V matched in direction and magnitude.

2ahhzma.jpg